Protecting the Front Axle Rubber Boots

eMULe

A recent thread talked about protecting brake drums. I agree that brake drums are one of the sturdier parts on a Fuso. The same could not be said of the pleated rubber boots protecting the constant velocity joints. A fairly small stick or sharp stone could easily slice one and allow dirt, sand and water to ruin the components. Anybody have that happen?
I seem to remember a couple of photos in unrelated threads over the last year or two that showed metal guards attached to the lower portion of the steering knuckles. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark them. I assume these were to help protect the fragile rubber boots.
I don't know if these were factory parts, one off fabrication by an owner or maybe it wasn't a Fuso though the axle looked like one.
If these are factory parts installed on later Fuso's, I would like to know the part # so I can retrofit. They are not present on a US spec. 1993 FG439.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
My FG84 has OEM guards underneath the front CV rubber boots. Is that not standard on other models?
Sorry... I don't have a part number, but I will take some pictures tomorrow if you want.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
My FG84 has OEM guards underneath the front CV rubber boots. Is that not standard on other models?
Sorry... I don't have a part number, but I will take some pictures tomorrow if you want.

Factory boot guards on a FG649 below. They should be all the same.

image.jpg

Last edited:

engineer

Adventurer
In all my years of running/managing these trucks in the worst conditions imaginable, I've never had the problem you speak of.... EVER.... or had issues with exposed brake drums either

eMULe

In all my years of running/managing these trucks in the worst conditions imaginable, I've never had the problem you speak of.... EVER.... or had issues with exposed brake drums either

Good information, but begs the question whether 'these trucks' had guards installed

westyss

Explorer
Hmmm that is interesting that you guys in Oz have them standard and here in NA we have never even seen them......... Engineer, did the trucks you worked on have these guards? I am curious why Mitsubishi puts them on there, was there an issue at one time with these boots? Odd.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
And here are some close-up images, for anyone that may be motivated to fabricate some themselves...

boot_guard_01.jpg

boot_guard_02.jpg

Aussie Iron

Explorer
FG637 slightly different than FG649 but still factory issue.
DSC00133b.jpg

DSC00134b.jpg

Dan.

Attachments

• DSC00133a.jpg
    DSC00133a.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00134a.jpg
    DSC00134a.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

westyss

Explorer
So I guess it begs the question, is this something that is really needed? I still would like to find out why it is installed there and not in NA?
Is there some vegetation that attacks the rubber boot in OZ? Something must have occurred at one time to go to the effort of designing and installing these things, so what was it?
I can see driving over some fir branches and having one poke a hole through the boot, I have seen a branch find its way through all the engine components and poke a hole into a rad from the back, took a while to even get it out of there.

So many questions and not enough answers!

Aussi Iron, looks like yours has a bend in it, is that how it came or is that proof that it did its job?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I don't know why we have these guards here and you guys don't, but I do notice that the ones on my FG84 are somewhat more substantial than those on the 637.
To my knowledge, most of these vehicles in Australia were used by organizations like the Rural Fire Service. I know these organizations have had other influences in design, as right up to mid 2010 no FG models had power windows, central locking or air bags, as these were seen as potential issues in an outback fire scenario. It is a possibility that they requested the guards be added.

eMULe

Hi,

FG649 part NO. MK309104 LH ,
MK30105 RH

Hope this helps.

Thanks
I called the parts dept. of a Mitsubishi Fuso USA dealer today. Not surprisingly given the info so far in this thread, these numbers are not in their parts system.

Also looks like there's at least two or possibly more? versions. What's the part # for the more U shaped FG84 version?

You might say they aren't needed if you are luckier than I. I have had sticks tear off brake lines on other vehicles. As an aside, WW II US Willys MB & Ford GPW Jeeps have a guard like this on the top of the steering knuckle. These guards protect the rubber brake line that runs from the axle to backing plate. Even the ancestor's designers believed in Murphy's law...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior