Protecting the Front Axle Rubber Boots

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi,

FG84 plate part no. MK501329 or Mk526864 which i think are the same.
But then you need 2 brackets per side MK501330.

But as John said they should be all the same.
I bet they all bolt up the same on most models.

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
Re need. My Isuzu NPS has no guards and a torn boot on the LHS. I only spotted the tear after parking with the wheels angled. When straight ahead it closes up. A piece of pencil thick wood was present inside when I investigated.

Another addition/modification onto the list. Grrrrr. It never ends

Flys Lo

Adventurer
In case you do tear it, does it just expose the closed knuckle joint?

Given the number of axles that are out there without a boot fitted with closed knuckles, is it really a bad thing?
Just curious.

eMULe

In case you do tear it, does it just expose the closed knuckle joint?

Given the number of axles that are out there without a boot fitted with closed knuckles, is it really a bad thing?
Just curious.

No, this is more like tearing the boot on the axle of a front wheel drive car. The grease flys out under rotation and sand, dirt & water go in. The close tolerances in the CV joint are ruined fairly quickly.

Older vehicles with closed knuckles have rubber and felt seals that ride on a hemispherical metal surface and completely seal the grease and joint.

Newer light duty vehicles like a F250 have open knuckles with sealed U joints open to the environment and sealed ball joints top and bottom rather than tapered roller bearings.

Any Fuso owners from other than USA or Australia on here? These guards are present in Australia and not US. What about ROW (rest of world)?

A lot of FGs have not been sold as 'off-road' vehicles in the US. I think in the early years a majority were sold to landscapers or used to plow shopping mall parking lots in the NE states subject to heavy lake effect snow. Too much for a pickup truck & they didn't want to pay the big bucks for a Mack or Kenworth. They wouldn't worry about protecting these boots from obstacles.

westyss

Explorer
No, this is more like tearing the boot on the axle of a front wheel drive car. The grease flys out under rotation and sand, dirt & water go in. The close tolerances in the CV joint are ruined fairly quickly.

Older vehicles with closed knuckles have rubber and felt seals that ride on a hemispherical metal surface and completely seal the grease and joint.

Newer light duty vehicles like a F250 have open knuckles with sealed U joints open to the environment and sealed ball joints top and bottom rather than tapered roller bearings.

Any Fuso owners from other than USA or Australia on here? These guards are present in Australia and not US. What about ROW (rest of world)?

A lot of FGs have not been sold as 'off-road' vehicles in the US. I think in the early years a majority were sold to landscapers or used to plow shopping mall parking lots in the NE states subject to heavy lake effect snow. Too much for a pickup truck & they didn't want to pay the big bucks for a Mack or Kenworth. They wouldn't worry about protecting these boots from obstacles.

Does Canada apply to the ROW? We don't get them either.

Flys Lo

Adventurer

Ah, good to know. Just assumed they were closed knuckle with a boot over the top, I didn't know they used exposed CV's and not U joints. Eek.

eMULe

Nobody outside of Australia spoke up and said these guards were installed on their Fuso. I would like to order the parts to retrofit. The U shaped ones look best to me. I'm as likely to tear one backing out of a 'end of trail' situation as going forward. A previous post said these were:

"FG84 plate part no. MK501329 or Mk526864 which i think are the same.
But then you need 2 brackets per side MK501330."

Looks like I would need two MK501329 or MK526864 and four MK501330.

Is there a Fuso OEM parts supplier in Australia who doesn't mind shipping parts out of the country? Maybe somebody who has traveled internationally in their Fuso and 'phoned home' for needed parts could refer me to that dealer.

Anybody have access to a parts/price list for Mitsubishi Fuso Australia?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I'd be interested in retrofitting them to a more modern FG also, 2011 and newer etc. I can foresee creosote bush branches just punching through those boots lol.

Aussie Iron

Explorer

I'm just about to replace the boots on mine (FG637) and yes there is an inner seal that runs on the ball to stop the dust and dirt from getting into the CV joint. 2 boots and 2 seals ran me into A$750.00 only available Genuine that I could find.

Dan.

eMULe

Yes, in the parts drawing posted by Bandicoot you can see the setup. I was wrong. It looks like a good "belt plus suspenders" design to keep dirt and water out of the constant velocity joint. Is that price parts only or with labor? If its only parts that's pretty pricey for two rubber boots & two rubber and metal seals. Since the boot isn't split I assume you have to pull brake, spindle, knuckle etc. off to replace it. That's why I'm interested in retrofitting the guard!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If its only parts that's pretty pricey for two rubber boots & two rubber and metal seals.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Fuso spare parts...
I needed to replace the diff and gearbox breathers, as the rubber grommet had cracked on both.

I was quoted $115 for each of these breathers!

breather.jpg

That's just stupid money for something so simple, so I did not pay it. I ended up changing the OEM breathers for metal 90 degree push lock fittings; much cheaper and more reliable.
Unfortunately, sometimes there is no alternative to the OEM parts, so you get to pay the seriously high Fuso prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz