Zuki Tips Wanted for Project Planning

TheOtherSide

Observer
Hello Zuki Folks!

I've had the gas guzzling V8 beasts over the years...
My Grand Cherokee
My Suburban

I wanted something that will not break the bank every time I head down the road to do some exploring. So I tried to go small...
My Sidekick 2dr...

But the 2dr Sidekick was just too small to start on the project... seeing as I have 3 sons... need something larger.

So... to the point of this thread. I'm looking for the right year of 4DR Sidekick (Tracker) as a starting point. I'd daily drive it and start collecting parts to build it into a nice and simple yet enjoyable Overland Exploration rig. I know the 2dr sidekicks have a rot problem at the rear seatbelt anchors... trying to avoid that. Looking for a solid body that will drive for now.

The plans:
4dr Sidekick... painted flat Sahara Sand
31-33" tires... depending on how things go... but likely 31's and an obvious lift to support the tire size.
Stock axles and manual transmission.
T-case is up in the air if you can double these ones... but far from a priority at this point.
Will be yanking the engine and replace with a VW 1.9L Turbo Diesel... the fully mechanical injection... not the newer TDI.
Snorkel and higher exit exhaust in case it needs to go swimming.
Winch & tougher bumpers
Manual hubs... unless they come with them.

So that's the plan... but now to find the starting truck. So if anyone has any pointers on what years to stay away from or which ones are good etc... I'm all ears... and appreciate any info.

Thx!

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Just a few thoughts:

• From '89-'95, the Sidekick/Tracker/Sunrunners didn't have airbags. From 1996+, they had dual airbags.
• Manual transmission Sidekick/Tracker/Sunrunners have 5.12 gears. (Automatics have 4.62 (8V) and 4.30 (16V) gears.)
• With stock gearing, anything over a 235/75/15 (29") tire is going to sap the power. Going to anything bigger than a 30" might require some fender trimming.
• Check out Zukiworld.com with regards to the TDI swap. Here's an example: http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/buil...diesel-build-(then-rebuild)-picture-thread!!/
• I was told that a 2" lift, 235/75/15, and a rear locker will let you go just about anywhere. So far, that's what I've experienced.

TheOtherSide

Observer
Just a few thoughts:

• From '89-'95, the Sidekick/Tracker/Sunrunners didn't have airbags. From 1996+, they had dual airbags.
• Manual transmission Sidekick/Tracker/Sunrunners have 5.12 gears. (Automatics have 4.62 (8V) and 4.30 (16V) gears.)
• With stock gearing, anything over a 235/75/15 (29") tire is going to sap the power. Going to anything bigger than a 30" might require some fender trimming.
• Check out Zukiworld.com with regards to the TDI swap. Here's an example: http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/buil...diesel-build-(then-rebuild)-picture-thread!!/
• I was told that a 2" lift, 235/75/15, and a rear locker will let you go just about anywhere. So far, that's what I've experienced.

Thanks for the info... didn't think on the airbags... good point... don't want airbags. Do you need to register on zukiworld.com to see the photos? I don't see any photos on the build thread you linked.

Thx

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info... didn't think on the airbags... good point... don't want airbags. Do you need to register on zukiworld.com to see the photos? I don't see any photos on the build thread you linked.

Thx

Can I ask why you don't want airbags? What's the reasoning there?

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Can I ask why you don't want airbags? What's the reasoning there?

I can't speak for "TheOtherSide," but I didn't want them in my off-roader because if they go off while I'm out in the middle of nowhere (think hitting a rock, stump, etc.), the car is disabled with no way to get back. With that being said, I personally don't know of any people whose airbags have deployed while off road. I know it has happened, but I don't know of anyone.

That being said, I've off roaded plenty of times in Jeeps and Fords that have airbags and never had a problem. I suppose if it was a huge problem, I would think we'd hear about it.

(I think I just won an argument against myself. :D)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I can't speak for "TheOtherSide," but I didn't want them in my off-roader because if they go off while I'm out in the middle of nowhere (think hitting a rock, stump, etc.), the car is disabled with no way to get back. With that being said, I personally don't know of any people whose airbags have deployed while off road. I know it has happened, but I don't know of anyone.

That being said, I've off roaded plenty of times in Jeeps and Fords that have airbags and never had a problem. I suppose if it was a huge problem, I would think we'd hear about it.

(I think I just won an argument against myself. :D)

hahaha..Ohhh-kay. :)

I have never heard of it being an issue with all the thousands of jeep TJ, LJ, and JK's that are on the trail rolling over, running into rocks, etc. Just wanted to see what your perspective was.

One rig to consider alongside the sidekick is the Vitara and Grand vitara. TONS of running gear shared with the sidekick. Not as much aftermarket, but leaps and bounds more road-worthy.

I had one for about 4 years, and it was a pretty darned good rig.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I've thought about a Vitara or GV, as well. I love my Sidekick but it is built a bit thin and isn't terribly comfortable.

TheOtherSide

Observer
Hey folks... was out of town for a few days... thx for the responses.

Regarding airbags... I have kids aged 5, 8 & 10... none of them can ride in the front passenger seat in Canada if there is an airbag... until they are 12 years old. So a 4 seater with 4 of us on the road (mom doesn't ride in the trails.. haha)... can't have an airbag on the passenger front seat unless you can turn it off. So according to our law, they can't ride in the front passenger side.... and according to the law, I can't disable the airbag either.

I thought of a Vitara... but I'm going for the least cost to start with a vehicle... leaves more $ to spend building it right the first time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94