Gatorz sunglasses

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Just a quick review on Gatorz. I've always been issued/bought ESS/Oakley/Smith and a couple other brands, but never Gatorz. I started seeing them when I got to the teams and with my skydiving crew, but never went out in search of a set.

Just got a set of them dropped on my desk recently and been wearing them around for a few days, and I have to say I wish I had switched sooner. They have got to be the most optically clear/correct lenses I've ever worn...just edging out Smith. Zero distortion and no visible lense as you look through them. The aluminum frames are nice- rigid and light. To boot, the lenses have a higher ballistic/shatter/safety rating than Oakley too. Big ol' "made in USA" pressed into the frame, if that matters to you.

Bunch of different lenses available. Mine are a grey scale fade, which for the intended purpose of under-canopy work is perfect. The higher up the lense you go, the darker the tint. So a dip of the head can give more tint, or looking straight ahead has tint high for the sun, but just looking downward with the eye has a little less tint for easy instrumentation viewing. Also, the aluminum frame and high safety lenses are, imo, of great benefit for overlanders. We work around heavy machinery. A snap of a winch cable, a pop off of something under the hood etc etc etc and you can be in a world of hurt. Safety rated glasses save eyesight and shouldn't be over looked, IMO.

Not only are they functional, clear, and stylish, but navy seals are issued them.....so when combined with the right color crye uniform, you too can look like an "operator". :snorkel: :snorkel:

All joking aside, I really do like them. Cheap glasses with cheap lenses covering your eyes isn't the place to skimp on quality, imo. If you are in the market for new shades, check them out.

-K

Last edited:

UncleBilly

Observer
I usually wear Oakley's but just bought a pair of WileyX glasses. I really like them! Best part was they cost $60 instead of $180 for Oakley's 😜

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
They're hard to find right now, Kurt; Lone Survivor made them chic.

I still have a pair of Gargoyles for rough play. Well over 20 years old.
They sent me a new pair after I wrote them a letter (that's how long ago it was) about the old pair saving my eyes from a rock hit on my motorcycle. They also sent a bunch of replacement nose pieces.

I wear Serengeti Pilots for driving; they're only 7 years old and are glass.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Did the guys in that movie wear them, I'm guessing?

not surprising then. Hilarious, but not surprising. To be fair, they have been standard SEAL issue for a while. Not sure which specific model though. They are big in the skydiving/freefall community, too. SEAL at a course I went to wore them all the time and so did all of my HALO instructors.

The skydiving guys like them because of their super slim profile. fits well under helmets. I may get a smaller set for the motorcycle for that reason after the lone survivor hype dies down.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

155mm

Adventurer
They say they are "adjustable" but what does that really mean?

The only relatively affordable sunglasses I've found that fit me are the Oakley Half Jackets with the extended nose pieces. Without the longer nose pieces, sunglasses are always sliding down my face and the lenses are sitting on my cheeks. I swear most people must have the fattest noses/faces or something...

I mean it's everyone else that's a messed up size, not me, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier