A few days roaming Gran Sabana, Venezuela

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
¿Y Los Bichos?

Love that part of Venezuela. Sadly, I could only do it on an organized tour, not with my own vehicle.

DarioCarrera

Adventurer
Love that part of Venezuela. Sadly, I could only do it on an organized tour, not with my own vehicle.

Organized tour have some advantages, generally speaking all the logistics (food,lodging) is already taken care of. Using your own vechicle is better (to me) because of the freedom of choice to go (or stay) anywhere at anytime. I hope you enjoyed your tour. Hopefully someday we Venezuelans will understand the true value of tourism and treat tourists better... In any case I hope you enjoyed it.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Last pic is kukenian tepui on the left and Roriama on the right which is the border of venezuela-guyana and brazil

from the pic it looks like you were pretty close to the start point for the hike- its a 4-5 day round trip from the nearest village to the top and back

Gran sabana is one of my favorite places on the planet, remote empty beautiful and in the most part unspoilt only the odd polar can on the trails.

there are two types of rivers....clear- with mosquitos....and brown tannic acid with none, try and camp by the brown ones.....

Pemon indians are the indigenous peoples, who live on all sides of the borders, some even speak english if they spent time on the Guyana side.

The huts you see are spaced out across the whole area, churatas, often you camp by them go to sleep and wake up with a Pemon family hanging inside where they arrived after dark and on their way to visit family in other areas, a sort of network of overnight stops to shelter from the common rain storms.

Nothing wrong with the tourist trips....just the driving speeds !, they hit most of the main points close to Sta Elena de Uairen.

But I think the best campsites are the ones it takes a day to get to from the main road, on trails and across the multiple rivers.

Hopefully soon the situation in Venezuela changes and tourists can return in safety to a country full of wonders and great people !

SGTCap

Adventurer
Dare I ask what the problem with tourism and Venezuela are? I was thinking it would be one of the better countries in SA to visit.

DarioCarrera

Adventurer
Dare I ask what the problem with tourism and Venezuela are? I was thinking it would be one of the better countries in SA to visit.

The problem with tourism is simply that we´ve always been a country that lived off the oil we produced, therefore we cared little for many other industries. We Venezuelans are very welcoming, very friendly and always happy to accommodate our visitors. However the tourism industry has not evolved in a long time, our concept of service is dated, so when you visit Venezuela, and have visited other countries in the region, the difference in service is noticeable.

With Venezuela, the country as a whole, we,re going through a political, social, and economic turmoil. We have a long road to recovery ahead (Provided certain changes occur in the near future) I will not get into political discussions regarding the topic, but many changes need to occur SOON.

By no means, I would say to anyone not to come to Venezuela, In fact I would love all of my fellow overlanders and adventurers to visit us. My recommendation would be to do so knowing that the country is not going through is best time at the moment.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Friends and Enemies

Ojalá regreso algún dia, pero no creo que Nicky jamas me da una visa. ;-(

¿A proposito, donde estará Freddie Bernal en estos días?

DarioCarrera

Adventurer
Ojalá regreso algún dia, pero no creo que Nicky jamas me da una visa. ;-(

¿A proposito, donde estará Freddie Bernal en estos días?

Hopefully you can come back.

As for F. bernal, i believe he's still in the National Assembly. I stopped following our politics a while back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior