XK or Durango?

98GP

Observer
I am considering a Jeep Commander as my next vehicle to replace a much too big for me Excursion. I am looking for a XK Limited or Overland model for the 5.7L and QDII AWD system.

My question is this: How does the Dodge Durange of the same vintage compare to the Jeep XK? I see they both use the same engines. Are the rest of the drivetrain the same?

I have to get out and drive both of them to see for myself, but would like to hear your opinions of both. The internet searching seems to yield similar pricing. The pictures seem to show more rear cargo area in the Durango with the seats up than the XK. I am most wondering about the drivetrains...How similar are the transfer cases and axles?

Who has more aftermarket support?

I'm not sure what year Durango you're looking at, probably newer than mine. I have an 00 Durango that my wife drives, hers is the 5.9L with 4x4 and all the options. It's amazing to drive...on the street. It's a torsion bar suspension and not a ton of travel it seems. Personally I prefer my XJ. These are probably older than what you're looking at.

I liked a lot about the Commander and we almost bought one new a few years ago, however, I couldn't get over the stadiumesque seating in the rear. That drove me nuts.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
They're essentially the same vehicle, powertrain etc. I had an 07 XK Limited 5.7L with QDII. It was a good vehicle, however after a week I hated it (only because it wasn't what I wanted).

tarditi

Explorer
Older durangos (before the recent remodel) and commanders have pretty low consumer reliability ratings, and both have been fraught with issues - make sure yours is sorted out already.

I owned a 2004 Durango with a Hemi and currently a 2006 commander limited. The Durango was a nice suv but a/c did not work well in the desert. Durango has more room inside than the Commander. There is also not much after market support for the Durango It is a body on fame with more in common chassis wise with a Dakota. The Commander is a unibody. Overall I like the Commander better and it is also better offroad than the Durango.

LPIII

Observer
Guys the Commander is light years of any Durango produced until its end in model year 2009. The Durango is hideous to booth and did not benefit from the marginally superior interior found in the Commander, find a 2010 Overland with a Hemi and Quadra Drive II and you won't regret it.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Guys the Commander is light years of any Durango produced until its end in model year 2009. The Durango is hideous to booth and did not benefit from the marginally superior interior found in the Commander, find a 2010 Overland with a Hemi and Quadra Drive II and you won't regret it.

x2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
XK has much more in common with the Grand Cherokee than the Durango. The Durango (and Dodge Aspen) of the same vintage as the XK has more front and rear overhang. If you want to take it off-road, go with the XK. If you want more interior room and just cruise forest service roads, the Durango will do.

We have had an '07 XK limited with the 5.7 since new. It has been fantastic, other than fuel mileage. Only weak spot I have found is the starters, which is common to the hemi engine lineup. 120k miles on ours so far and will be keeping it for the foreseeable future.

98GP

Observer
Jim K in PA,
Have you had the recall done regarding the transfer case low range? How concerned should I be looking to bye now if the CarFax reports no open recalls?

unkamonkey

Explorer
98GP, a couple questions. Is your Excursion gas or diesel? What year? Not that I want to buy it I just want you to be aware of it's potential resale value. Diesels will always go for much more. Early '03 Powerstrokes apparently had a 6.0 HO version, quite desireable. My neighbors son said that even in it's stock tuning it would smoke about anything on the road, up to 100 MPH...
Damn computers.

98GP

Observer
No 2005 V10 gas...
2000-early 2003 got the more desirable 7.3L diesel. Late 03-05 got the less desirable 6.0L. The 6.0 needs some aftermarket help to bring it up to the 7.3L status.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Jim K in PA,
Have you had the recall done regarding the transfer case low range? How concerned should I be looking to bye now if the CarFax reports no open recalls?

I have not complied with the constant pleading from Chrysler to have the recall done. My truck is just fine, and I have not bothered to keep up with the drama threads on whether or not they have changed the recall procedure to preserve access to low range. If you look at a vehicle within this recall group, just do a test drive and see if it will engage low range. If it does, it's probably fine. If not, ask the dealer to explain why it will not.

Broncbuster

XK by far. I have owned many Jeeps, mostly Wranglers. Was tired of drving a Z71 Tahoe and located a 2008 loaded Commander with a 4.7. With a 2.5in lift and 245/75/17 AT
tire I am impressed where this thing can go. Ride quality is good, shares most mechanicals with the 2005-2010 JGC. Very capable 4wd suv.

LPIII

Observer
If car fax reports no open recalls chances are the recall has been performed. I am a Franchised dealer for
CJDR, the last eight of the VIN and the miles and I can give the dealer service history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online