Chevy c10

Hey all! So mostly been lurking posting around the landy threads, but things went downhill and now I own a 1982 chevy c10.

So why did I decide to go with a 2wd, two door, shortbed as my new rig? Free. the truck has sat for nearly 5 years, inside my dads shop, after my stepbrother burnt up the original 6 that was in it. The body is in great shape, and the camper shell has some minor issues, but I'm not letting that stop me.

37b09a5aabd56b2e7af8457ce4b8bcfb.jpg

The truck as I found it, sitting and waiting. The main problem was my dad had started putting in a 350, but in the process had put a hole in the oil pan, followed a stream of words I can't post here I'm sure. So the truck sat.

Well I came along and started tearing the engine out. The oil pan was destroyed and a mouse had decided to store some seeds inside.uploadfromtaptalk1411489420160.jpg

So the only thing I really needed was an exhaust and oil pan, simple enough I thought!
Well I headed on down to 1 of two auto parts stores in town and ordered a pan. Meanwhile I started tearing the engine out of the truck and sorting through the mix of 6 and 8 parts I had.
0f6d895abe614eff0388c276e3b4e572.jpg

Once the oil pan came in, I found out it was the wrong one. So I took it back. The next one was sent to the wrong state, and came in a day late. Turned out to be a chrome version of the original wrong pan. I guess chrome adds 20hp, but the size was wrong. after going to the other shop I received the correct pan for 30 dollars less.
So correct pan in I set to work putting the engine in, after getting the rest of the mouse seeds out.
018f0bdb298616eb1c331bc4a6825315.jpg

The first issue I ran into after tearing everything out was the power stearing pump. The one that was in the truck had the wrong mounts. I found the old pump from the 350 mounted in the original truck and started the process of swapping over the correct lines and hoses.
485cd75c5705455654e2e0d98b75a4b8.jpg

4c521c288a418e0fd8298c610160fb9c.jpg

68d9e761d821e77179c76c75b8b67058.jpg

After getting the pump situation figured out I set to work on getting my everything else in place.
Everything was pretty straight forward amd fit well. I had to replace some gaskets along the way as the carb ones were shot, so brittle there was no flex!
e3ecf89d3d4cb391c463184c47fa002f.jpg

Engine in, the next issue I ran into was a massive leak from the coolant once I filled it up to a certain level.
5248cfb9eb0363b88d5a72b6387c2b93.jpg

The coolant was leaking from the top of my bottom tube coming out of the water pump. I started with the basic changes of hose and clamp, but this didn't help. So I grabbed the cheapest pump I could get , thank you car quest.
55d906bca3d85712084724d3bf88fc5d.jpg

The old pump vs. New pump.

This didn't actually stop the leak and I couldn't figure out why. I was still overheating, leaking coolant, and had checked everything. Well everything except the thermostat. I drained the coolant, popped the bolts, and couldn't tell where the thermostat gasket ended and the metal begun. The old thermostat was in bad shape. I figured that it wasn't opening up, at all.
So once I replaced this the leak stopped and and hasn't had any isses since.

The final thing to do was get the timing and the carb tuned. I had no power, no pick up, and the idle was way off. So a friend of my dads came over with his light and set everything straight.

Truck runs great now, finished the interior(mostly), and just need to get some wood for the sleeping area.
f3f9a93eea0efe91e2993003740fa261.jpg

532f0d67034fd3df964cc283dc56b621.jpg

Well I tried to figure out some sort of stereo as I had a box to choose from, but decided I had better just take it in since there is only 1 speaker and no wiring diagram.
547a2313e4e338b875fd34bf45e9d609.jpg

So far the plans for this truck will be taking me and a friend to some climbing areas, camping, and scuba diving around the rocky mountain west(Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, and maybe Canada). I decided 4wd was just not necessary at the moment as my previous attempt to get my dream truck set me back financialy and time wise. So for now it's all about getting out there and doing some exploring!

Thanks for reading folks and hope the post works out, I'm on my phone as there isn't any internet where I am. Any suggestions I am interested in. Especially if it involves camper shell wiring!
Mark

clandr1

Adventurer
Nice start!

Does the truck have a G80 locker from the factory in the rear diff? If so, you'll be in good shape. You can do lots with a rear locked 2WD.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I ran my 2wd s10 for ever in fact I miss it very much in 2wd form. They will get you every where you need to be a few places you shouldn't be.

Thanks for the replies!
Clandr1, There is currently no rear locker, but I am tempted to toss one on later down the road. Anyone know how intensive this is? Right now though I'll just be using gravel roads. I am pretty confident in the 2wd with the aggressive tread to compensate ;) right now though I'll be putting the money into rhino lining the bed, cab interior, and putting in a decent sleeping/cupboard setup
in the back.
Dango, did you convert yours to a 4x4?

98dango

Expedition Leader
Yes I did I convert my s 10 to 4wd. An s10 is not worth the time for exploring to convert as a crawler it was and worked great. In fact she was put to rest today the frame was so cracked bent that I had to cut it up. I have done a few 2wd to 4wd on full size trucks it's so easy to do.

Last edited:
Ok that's good to know dango! I'm looking into some rear lockers and a swapping the rear drum brakes for disk brakes. I live in wyoming and if any of you have driven i80 in the winter, I don't really care to go with drums across the states.

Well so far the truck is holding out well. I seem to be having a slight overheating issue at the moment, but hasn't overheated to the point of stopping. I think this might have to do with the seemingly small radiator I have at the moment. I'm also looking around the area for an analog dash since it came equipped with lights that get brighter as the issue gets worse...I think. So far I've only put about 75 miles of light driving on since finishing. I haven't had the time to get to the registration office and I can only press my luck so far!
Meanwhile I've set to getting a small tear in the camper shell fixed up to get the shell watertight. Right now the tear is about 6 inches long on the top corner of the shell and is in need of repair. I'm thinking I'll just take some JB weld to hold in place and put a metal slab overtop and rivet it down. Just looking for some metal a the moment. I'll post pictures of the process when I get to it. Waiting for the rain to stop at the moment. Also I'll be lining the bed with rhino as soon as the rain stops.

clandr1

Adventurer
Is the temp gauge just running hotter than 200 consistently, or are you seeing the temp continue to rise, and never fall (when the t-stat opens)?

Clandr, I'm not certain what the temp is actually running at right now as the gauge is not analog, it's just a light that gets brighter the hotter it gets. I plan on installing an analog dash soon, but waiting for the time to go to the donor truck and rip it out. Right now the light gets dimmer after a little bit (assuming that's when it opens), but then continues to get brighter. I should be registering the truck tomorrow and giving it a real highway run to see how hot I'm really getting.

Well it's been a long while since I last posted, but figured I'd resurrect this thread a bit.
So as far as changes went I solved the overheating issue. figured the dummy light in the dash was just actin funny, problem solved, problem staying solved. Only issue I seem to have is a rear main seal leak, so I use oil at a more rapid pace than a normal 350(which is a lot!), but not enough to stop me from going places. I'll fix this in the summer once the snow is gone and I have a couple free days. Also if anyone can confirm, I had a buddy tell me that I can toss in a bit of steering or brake fluid(can't remember which one) but he said that should help solve the issue temporarily.
I have been able to take the truck on some great trips through Logan canyon for some snowshoeing and the 350 has held up superbly. The most recent trip involved loading up my student supplies and heading back to Laramie, WY for the new semester and the truck had the guts to haul everything with no issues whatsoever. Truck load.jpg
I was running a little low, but was able to do the entire trip and maintain a 13.5mpg average along I-80 and the western passes. Guess that's one thing about the 350, I can almost be guaranteed close to 15mpg average no matter what I haul, tow, up or downhill.
South End.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
My '85 C-10 is the same way, empty or loaded the mileage scarcely changes. Yours an '84?
I've done a ton of wrenching on mine over 330k mi and 29yrs. Message me if you can't find any answers to anything. I drove a lot of desert and forest trails with my 2wd one-legger axle, caution and momentum and airing down BEFORE you get in trouble are all key.
Watch for upper ball joint wear and this era / frame design is prone to cracks where the steering box mounts. More likely with bigger tires, 4wd and rock crawling, or routine heavy loads. High mileage alone doesn't seem to trouble things.
The quadrajet carbs are also notorious for dribbling fuel into the intake as epoxy plugs in the bottom casting break down over time / use. Results in a very rough idle and some dieseling at shutdown sometimes. Highly recommend Edelbrock's replacement carb, it's designed a different way, can't leak like that.
Watch out for all the vac line fittings, they'll be brittle as hell by now. Same for the rubber sections of your brake lines. LMCtruck.com is your friend if you dont have handy junkyards.

85chevyc10-2_zpsb03bb6ca.jpg

Thanks Rayra,

Mine is actually an '82c10 with an '84350. I did replace the carb with an Edelbrock and have replaced most gaskets and rubber. Thanks for the upper ball joint info. I haven't gotten around to getting that far into it yet, but I do have a good sized selection in my cart in LMCtruck.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Well TownDiver I just checked out your thread for the first time. Some cool looking stuff in that old Chevy. I drive a 1979 myself and love these old rigs. They are really easy to repair and they have such a cool look to them. Welcome to the site and if there is anything I can help with let me know. Check out my build thread in my sig if you want to see what I did with mine. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz