iPhone 6 "best smartphone for image quality"

haven

Expedition Leader
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/8962178673/dxomark-mobile-report-apple-iphone-6

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Appl...et-gold-standard-for-smartphone-image-quality

Respected testing outfit DXO Labs evaluated image quality captured by the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. They gave the pair a rating of 82, which is tops for smartphones tested so far.

Tied for third place with a score of 79 are the Samsung Galaxy S5, Sony Xperia Z2, and Z4. In sixth place with score of 77 is the Nokia 808 Pureview. I include the scores to show that Apple's advantage is small. A detailed reading of the reviews is necessary to find the specific aspects of performance where each phone has advantages vis-a-vis the others.

The review identifies advantages of the 6 Plus's optical image stabilization for still shots, but detected an artifact introduced by the OIS when shooting video.

The review also stated that the 6 Plus may not be the best choice for "discrete street photography."

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I own the 1020 and it mops up a lot of point and shoot cameras, more so with the camera grip installed. Its a great phone, with the best camera in a smart phone.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Absolute image quality aside, for me the reason the iPhone had been and continues to be the "best" mobile device for imaging is the Apple ecosystem. The tools (apps) available for the iPhone take what could be considered a mediocre imaging device on its own, and turns it into an extremely powerful creative tool. Some of the most compelling and creative images I've seen in the last few years were captured/created with an iPhone.

dales133

Observer
I haven't used the iPhone 6 plus yet but my galaxy note 3 absolutely mops the floor with my mates 5s .
Good software and 14 megapixels or there abouts

kojackJKU

There is tonnes of apps for my 1020 as well. I can do lots of creative shots using nokia camera and Nokia lens. pretty well anything the iPhone can do my phone can do with way better Image quality.

The 1020 has amazing camera software and 41 MP with OIS. plus a true camera grip that makes it a potent weapon.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
pretty well anything the iPhone can do my phone can do with way better Image quality.
No doubt the Nokia is a nice phone, but I'm puzzled by this statement in lieu of the above posted reviews. DXOmark is one of the most respected review outlets there is. Are their findings invalid? If you believe so can you defend your statement?

kojackJKU

Im going by actual photos. again, here we go with testing. Back about 5 years ago, Testing proved that the canon D350 was better than my Olympus e510. Using DXO. however, photos from the Olympus were judged more visually pleasing, and to have more detail than that of the canon. I don't do "testing" I do real world results. Just like in lighting. testing with meter and crap is just that. crap. My son I going to be getting an IP6 soon, then I will do a head to head photo shoot with both cameras. We will then see who wins. I know that the ip5 was supposed to be better than anything on the go, but it does not come close to my 1020. that's what he has now. IP5s. He likes the apples because all his friends can Imessage each other and facetime. Not by any involvement of mine to get a phone. He would be using a high end WP.

I defend my statements with my EYES. just like I do with lighting. I could care less what any testing says. I have seen images from a 5 mp Minolta that were way better than a 20 mp Nikon. Why is that? the Nikon DXO'ed way better than the Minolta.

kojackJKU

Oh, I also don't put it past apple to pay off the testers as well, as they do with every other media outlet to "hype" their revolutionary (copied) products. remember when the IPhone 4 came out and all the apple'ings came out and said anything bigger than the iPhone 4 was useless and not needed in a phone? howcome they made the 5 bigger, but they never made it wider because they said it was wide enough. Why would they make the new phones so gigantic? dunno. and the notification bar, ripped off android, plus folders for apps, ripped off, plus the whole thing, even the iPhone name ripped off. pretty good hey? however, the apple'ings just eat it up like its crack.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Howdy

I have no clue what is best. I do own a Canon 1D markIV pro camera that I use for birds but for normal stuff I use my Samsung Galaxy 3 and I find it really good.

Some from my Samsung Galaxy 3

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom/image/144151258/original

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom/image/147721286/original

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom/image/152458494/original

http://www.pbase.com/omar_brannstrom/image/155814900/original

I have a Gopro but my Samsung is better at lowlight

Se this movie in 1080p from my samsung mobile

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I have seen images from a 5 mp Minolta that were way better than a 20 mp Nikon. Why is that? the Nikon DXO'ed way better than the Minolta.
More than likely it had nothing to do with the camera used. At the end of the day both phones can take good pics, and the plethora of incredible iPhone images circling the web is validity enough, for me anyway, to know it's a useful tool, as is the Nokia no doubt. Is it better or worse than any other phone,... Quite frankly I don't know or care all that much. The arguments about what's best technically, in terms of ease of use, accuracy of colour, resolution, responsiveness, things of that nature, is exactly what dxomark and the likes of others test. They don't really determine anything beyond that, and that is all that I believe Haven was sharing. The results of these types of tests. With respects to my comment earlier about the apple ecosystem, I think it's a fair statement to say that the Apple OS is typically the first and best supported mobile photography platform there is. That's not to say others are not, but almost every significant app for photography is developed for iOS first or jointly released with support for iOS android. VSCOcam is a perfect example.

kojackJKU

More than likely it had nothing to do with the camera used. At the end of the day both phones can take good pics, and the plethora of incredible iPhone images circling the web is validity enough, for me anyway, to know it's a useful tool, as is the Nokia no doubt. Is it better or worse than any other phone,... Quite frankly I don't know or care all that much. The arguments about what's best technically, in terms of ease of use, accuracy of colour, resolution, responsiveness, things of that nature, is exactly what dxomark and the likes of others test. They don't really determine anything beyond that, and that is all that I believe Haven was sharing. The results of these types of tests. With respects to my comment earlier about the apple ecosystem, I think it's a fair statement to say that the Apple OS is typically the first and best supported mobile photography platform there is. That's not to say others are not, but almost every significant app for photography is developed for iOS first or jointly released with support for iOS android. VSCOcam is a perfect example.

I have a quite similar app on my phone that came loaded with it, well two. Nokia camera and Nokia Lens do exactly the same thing as VSCOcam. App arguments are silly at this point. If there is an app on IOS that app is usually available on WP, or one that performs as good as or better.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I have a quite similar app on my phone that came loaded with it, well two. Nokia camera and Nokia Lens do exactly the same thing as VSCOcam. App arguments are silly at this point. If there is an app on IOS that app is usually available on WP, or one that performs as good as or better.

Those two apps are quite different from VSCOcam but I digress.

[video=vimeo;80386019]http://vimeo.com/80386019[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles