2014 Overland Taco Build

OldieOverland

Observer
Hello Everyone!

When my wife and I first decided to pursue overlanding/ remote camping we started small with an old Mitsu Montero I found locally on craigslist. I ended up doing a motor swap (same motor but a rebuilt one). I then did some other modifications like suspension, upgraded lighting, mint condition original interior, etc. It was really difficult sourcing parts for this rare vehicle but I did find a few donor vehicles to help out. Here are some pics of this vehicle.

Before:
IMG_0977.jpg
IMG_1183.jpg
After:
IMG_2341.jpg

Needless to say after several months of using the Montero, we decided to upgrade. Enter, 2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road! :wings:

Stock:
IMG_0005.JPG

Soon after we started adding our modifications:

First a Rocktek bumper from TRDParts4u.com
IMG_1973.jpg

Shortly after we added an Allpro APEX Bed Rack followed by a CVT Tent and Awning from Bobby at CVT:
IMG_3159.jpg
IMG_3235.jpg

Then we decided to do a big update with an ARB bumper, Warn M8000 winch, OME HD suspension and 255/85/16 BFgoodrich MT KM2s from 4wheelparts:
IMG_2183.jpg
IMG_3395.jpg
IMG_2192.jpg

So there's our build up to this point. Next in line are Allpro rock sliders from Outbreak Expedition. We are picking them up at the Overland Expo East so hopefully well get to meet everyone that's coming to the Expo also! :victory:

OldieOverland

Observer
Nice! Color matched grill looks nice as well. How do you like the ride on the OME HD?

Thanks, I thought the color matched grill fit well. I don't mind the ride at all. I didn't notice an extreme difference from the TRD off road suspension. I'm really happy with the HDs.

mouse007

Explorer
Looking good...!!! you're making me miss my 255/85 R16 KM2. OME 866 up front right...?
bknudtsen having the ARB bull bar an the M8000 helps make the HD springs more road friendly/less stiff IMHO.
I have 866 springs and an ARB bull bar, but no winch I feel my front end stiff.

OldieOverland

Observer
Well its been forever since I've updated my build. We have been busy exploring anytime we get the chance!
View attachment 265725 IMG_3687.jpg Cassie's iPhone photos 367.jpg

I did get the chance to add some rear area lighting before Overland Expo East. I'm not the best at taking "during install" photos. The switch is mounted in the large storage box on the driver side.
image5.jpg
image8.JPG

Here are some photos of my homemade platform for the fridge that I picked up at Overland Expo East in October. I've since removed the seats completely and added two panels that fold down to allow access to storage compartments below rear window. Cassie's iPhone photos 468.jpg

Doberman approved!
Cassie's iPhone photos 461.jpg

Then we built a chuck box to organize the kitchen

Cassie's iPhone photos 469.jpg
Cassie's iPhone photos 472.jpg
Cassie's iPhone photos 488.jpg
Cassie's iPhone photos 672.jpg

OldieOverland

Observer
We also finally got the Allpro rock sliders installed. They were bolt on, but if I had to order them again they would definitely be weld-on. It was difficult getting all of the bolt holes to line up and it still required some drilling :mad:. I ended up having the sliders welded in some spots for extra strength. I don't have any real install photos but here is a picture of my paint booth and an action pic!

image7.jpg
image1 (1).jpg

After using our current setup for several months, we just decided to pull the trigger on a rear swing out. We had a CBI offroad swingout delivered a few weeks before Christmas :victory:. This will allow us somewhere to securely store extra fuel and the spare tire. It even has the fold down table for added convenience!

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

And most recently, I installed some Caltrend seat covers and an AT overland propane mount. These were two awesome surprises from Christmas! I was really surprised how well the seat covers fit considering they were a lot cheaper than other brands. The propane tank is mounted to existing bolt holes on the bed rack. They matched up perfectly. I haven't tested it out yet so we'll have to see how well this setup works.

image4.jpg
image1 (2).jpg
image2 (1).jpg

That's it for now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles