Importing a vehicle in USA from Canada

Pax2525

Adventurer
Question: Now that 2015 is coming up, vehicles from 1990 can be imported cheaply because of the 25 year rule?

Im asking because I am thinking of importing a vehicle from Canada thats 1990 (or older) and I think its only a 2.5% import tax on vehicle purchase price. Am I missing something?

Then WA state (most likely where I would import to) creates a US title for the vehicles as they would for any vehicle bought in the states?

Thanks for the knowledge!

theside00

Adventurer
That is about it. Just make sure it is 25 years or older. At the border you will import, pay the dues then take it to where you want to register it and they will assign a US title and registration.

Arktikos

Explorer
If you're planning to circumvent California emission laws by getting the title in Washington, better make sure this will end well for you. I really don't know, but would be concerned about it.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
All vehicle import/export that involves an age of vehicle clause goes by year and month of manufacture as stated on the door plate. I've never taken a Canadian truck south, but have brought many US trucks north. It's a pretty simple operation if you have all your papers in order.

I am in the Vancouver BC area, so if you want someone to look at a truck in person, pm me. (I've owned about 40 different 4x4s in my 30 years of driving with tons of Land Cruisers and Hilux included. Assuming your looking at diesel Toyotas, as most going south are).

paranoid56

Adventurer
All vehicle import/export that involves an age of vehicle clause goes by year and month of manufacture as stated on the door plate. I've never taken a Canadian truck south, but have brought many US trucks north. It's a pretty simple operation if you have all your papers in order.

I am in the Vancouver BC area, so if you want someone to look at a truck in person, pm me. (I've owned about 40 different 4x4s in my 30 years of driving with tons of Land Cruisers and Hilux included. Assuming your looking at diesel Toyotas, as most going south are).

what do the older toyota diesels go for up there? did they have 80s double cabs up there in diesel?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Price varies quite a bit depending on model, turbo or non-turbo, auto vs 5 speed etc etc. 84-88 doublecabs are quite rare, but you do see more of the 89-94 era. These are still not exactly common to see for sale and can go from $9k to $25k depending on what is done to them. 80 series and Prado Land Cruisers are the most common and usually range between $6k (stock Prado) to $16k for a well built 80 series.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Price varies quite a bit depending on model, turbo or non-turbo, auto vs 5 speed etc etc. 84-88 doublecabs are quite rare, but you do see more of the 89-94 era. These are still not exactly common to see for sale and can go from $9k to $25k depending on what is done to them. 80 series and Prado Land Cruisers are the most common and usually range between $6k (stock Prado) to $16k for a well built 80 series.

When I am looking in the Vancouver and Victoria Clist and the odometer is that expected to be KM if not indicated. In the basic option box? Also on price is that assumed Canadian? So if I see a Prado that has 178 and is 6 grand is that 82k mile or 178km? And is that assumed CAD? Thank you. Im 15 minutes from Windsor and could have one shipped from BC to Windsor then bring across I think. Thats me assuming. Thank you for some truths.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Since you are looking at trucks in CANADA, prices will be in Canadian dollars. Stated mileage will 99% of the time be in kilometres too as that is the system used in both Canada and Japan (actually, that is the system used in almost every country in the world other than the USA and Britain). Multiply kms by 0.6 to get miles. (100,000 kms = 60,000 miles). Try Nanaimo CL as well as there seems to be a lot of JDM trucks on the north end of the island.

(Not trying to sound like a jerk, just wanted to write it out in plain text so everyone gets the facts! You did use the "assume" word:) )

I should add that my offer to look at a specific rig unfortunately doesn't transfer to Victoria or Nanaimo as there is 4 hours and $170 worth of ferries involved to get there.

Last edited:

Erik N

Adventurer
If you're planning to circumvent California emission laws by getting the title in Washington, better make sure this will end well for you. I really don't know, but would be concerned about it.

You cannot circumvent CA emissions this way. CA does not have the "25 year" rule as some other states do. The vehicle would have to have all the "CA version" smog equipment specified for that model year. Basically any vehicle that came with a cat (post 1975ish) will need to pass emissions testing every 2 years.

To the OP: I have a Canadian imported 1978 Porsche 928. When I imported it into Cali in 2000, I had to get a letter of authenticity from the manufacturer (which was very vague, basically admitting that Porsche did indeed make that car, that VIN, that year) as well as pay customs tax. Also the speedometer needed to be changed from KPH to MPH. I refused to allow some hack to dig into my dashboard, I was able to just get some stickers applied to the dash glass indicating MPH without opening up the instrument cluster.

The car was a "North American" import, which meant that they were the same basically for Canada/USA. And there was no "California version". It has the little catalyst sticker in the door jam... you definitely want that intact.

I since changed out the engine to a high compression, high HP euro version, which was never available in the States because of emissions concerns. But by using a modern high flow cat (much more efficient than the original) it did pass CA emissions that way. But the techs were wholly unfamiliar with the car and what to look for anyway, I had to point out the air injection system etc to them.

Also not sure if you can title a car in WA if you live in SoCal. Might be better off trying ND or MT, I don't think they have reprocity w/ CA

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Since you are looking at trucks in CANADA, prices will be in Canadian dollars. Stated mileage will 99% of the time be in kilometres too as that is the system used in both Canada and Japan (actually, that is the system used in almost every country in the world other than the USA and Britain). Multiply kms by 0.6 to get miles. (100,000 kms = 60,000 miles). Try Nanaimo CL as well as there seems to be a lot of JDM trucks on the north end of the island.

(Not trying to sound like a jerk, just wanted to write it out in plain text so everyone gets the facts! You did use the "assume" word:) )

I should add that my offer to look at a specific rig unfortunately doesn't transfer to Victoria or Nanaimo as there is 4 hours and $170 worth of ferries involved to get there.

don't be so hasty, you will look, just you want ferry, gas, and time charges up front! ha ha. Money making opportunity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles