new 2015 ford transit full size van

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Just got a call from my local ford dealer that they have 2 in stock.

Pricing looks decent - about $30k to start but the high top adds about $5k and the 3.2L diesel adds another $6K - so it goes up quickly...

The shortest version of the Ford has a 130 inch wheelbase vs 144 inches for the small sprinter.

Now they just need to offer a 4wd version...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Quigly doesnt count.
It will for many overlanders. The fact that the Quigley conversion is not a full-on trail rig setup may be important to a few, but given its wheelbase, weight, height and width, a full-sized van isn't a good choice for four-wheeling anyway. Of much more interest to an overlander considering a Euro-type full-sized van will be the ability to get through modest snow, occasional mud, and the sand at the beach. Under those conditions, the Quigley setup will likely be a workable alternative.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Just got a call from my local ford dealer that they have 2 in stock.

Pricing looks decent - about $30k to start but the high top adds about $5k and the 3.2L diesel adds another $6K - so it goes up quickly...

The shortest version of the Ford has a 130 inch wheelbase vs 144 inches for the small sprinter.

Now they just need to offer a 4wd version...

Would that be Skagit or Burlington?

dcguillory

Adventurer
I dont count Quigley because of the long list of horror stories (including my own) in regards to repairs. Each Quigley is different, unless they have changed, so the front suspension is often a hodge podge of parts that work well together but can take some very annoying research to repair.

Wiley

Adventurer
In Quigleys defense I believe they are working with ford and will be using approved parts...but then again everything Ford said about this van has been off so I stopped following it once I gave up on them, so that info may be incorrect on my part

gggplaya

I think any aftermarket 4WD conversion is going to be hard to get supported if there is a problem. If you could count on an aftermarket company to be in business 30 years after the conversion, with all the modern 3D CAD technology, they could pull up the print, and make you a replica part within a few days.

Sprinter is releasing their 4WD van in north america in 2015. I believe it's an $8k option in europe, should be similar here in the states. I like the fact that if a part breaks, i could walk into a nearby mercedes sprinter dealer and order the part and have it the next day. It would be fully factory supported.

Wiley

Adventurer
Slow your roll son...minor Transit recall info:

"The Ford Transit van is also involved in a couple of recalls. One is due to an incorrectly adjusted brake pedal position switch sensor, which can result in a delay or non-illumination of the brake lights when the pedal is depressed. It can also cause the cruise control system to not disengage. The problem affects about 960 Transits produced at the Kansas City Assembly Plant. Another recall, which affects about 90 vehicles built in Kansas City, involves a potential problem with the bracket that holds the fuel filter to the frame. It can come loose and rattle around or even potentially cause the engine to stall due to fuel starvation. Regarding the Kansas City-made vehicles, Ford said it is not aware of any accidents, injuries or fires related to the problems."

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2014/11/05/ford-f150-transit-van-recall.html

86scotty

Cynic
It will for many overlanders. The fact that the Quigley conversion is not a full-on trail rig setup may be important to a few, but given its wheelbase, weight, height and width, a full-sized van isn't a good choice for four-wheeling anyway. Of much more interest to an overlander considering a Euro-type full-sized van will be the ability to get through modest snow, occasional mud, and the sand at the beach. Under those conditions, the Quigley setup will likely be a workable alternative.

Well said, Mike. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles