ORC rear door check

otiswesty

Regular guy
Last update on this. I have only received 2 responses on this and one was not a USA based member.
I would recommend that any interested people contact Guido Mathes directly. He is in Rausdorf Germany and is an amazing source of G parts and knowledge. He sells primarily off of ebay.de but has tons of used and new G parts in stock that are not listed in his postings. He will sell direct if you email him and many of his parts are very competitively priced.
His pricing on the door checks is below all the other vendors in Germany, whether on Ebay, ORC or otherwise. Please email him directly if you would like a set or a single.
http://offroad-world.com/
ebay@industrytools.de

ILIAN

Adventurer
I got a set of these from Guido and just installed one of them along with the door wiring bellow. This turned out to be a 3 hour job half of which was the removal of the pin that holds the door check on the hinge. This pin seems to be a very close fit (maybe press fit) to the arm of the door check so with limited space was very hard to remove. After removal I saw no signs of corrosion and there was a lot of oil residue on and around it so I don't think it was frozen. The hole on the new arm was a bit too small for the pin to go in without hammering so I bored it with a drill bit just enough so the pin goes in by hand. Also the pin has a "c" clip at the bottom and the rubber around it is held in place with some adhesive but it can be pried out easy to make the job easier. I'm just posting this so anyone planning to do this job is prepared. Also the door panel needs to come off to do this and after installing the new door check make sure it dosn't hit the wire for the window regulator motor when the door is being closed.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I got a set of these from Guido and just installed one of them along with the door wiring bellow. This turned out to be a 3 hour job half of which was the removal of the pin that holds the door check on the hinge. This pin seems to be a very close fit (maybe press fit) to the arm of the door check so with limited space was very hard to remove. After removal I saw no signs of corrosion and there was a lot of oil residue on and around it so I don't think it was frozen. The hole on the new arm was a bit too small for the pin to go in without hammering so I bored it with a drill bit just enough so the pin goes in by hand. Also the pin has a "c" clip at the bottom and the rubber around it is held in place with some adhesive but it can be pried out easy to make the job easier. I'm just posting this so anyone planning to do this job is prepared. Also the door panel needs to come off to do this and after installing the new door check make sure it dosn't hit the wire for the window regulator motor when the door is being closed.

I used an air hammer and the pin pops right out. Same thing for going back in. It took me longer to go get my air hose and the tool than it did to drive the pin out.

ILIAN

Adventurer
Wish I had an air hammer. I used 2 long 3/8 ratchet extensions with a short 1/4" extension at the end going thru the running board. Then used a hammer from under the running board.

otiswesty

Regular guy
It took me forever to get that pin out also. I ended up grinding off the top of it and driving it out from above. Then I had to touch up the paint on the bracket. The new pin fit through the extended door stop pretty easily, I'm not sure why yours had an issue. A friend of mine that also did this got his out pretty easy, he said he pulled the running board off and just used a long drift.

otiswesty

Regular guy
I got a second extended door check from Guido just recently, with some other bits, and installed it on Friday. It went on much easier than the last one. I drove out the old pin with an appx 20" piece of rebar up through the running board. Not easy, but doable and very awkward.
I did have the interior door handle give up the ghost, old epoxy repair evident. It was dated 1998, $200 replacement from the dealer wholesale desk.

If anyone wants the original door check it is yours for shipping. Comes with an extra new replacement pin and used e-clip.
13mm difference in length.

Attachments

• Check3.jpg
    Check3.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Check2.jpg
    Check2.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Check1.jpg
    Check1.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics