Land Cruiser over Tacoma

bjowett

Adventurer
The 200 is a great machine. Drive one and you will find out why. Roomy, plenty of power, and very capable off road.

bossman429

Adventurer
I have a 2014 tacoma DC long bed as a daily drivier, and a 98 land cruiser fitted out for trips, camping, offroading etc.

Based on interior room and comfort alone I would always choose the 100 series for trips. Taking it down to George/sc/nc tonight actually for a week long trip. And this is with no kids, sometimes a wife and usually a dog. Add more humans and the interior comfort of the land cruiser is priceless.

You don't need much to make the cruiser very capable. Remove the running boards and add some decent rubber and your good to go.

I DDed my cruiser for a few months while I was waiting on the taco to be built. It was very comfy but I did feel funny driving 200 miles in a day sometimes, making sales calls in an outfitted rig lol. Stock my taco gets 20mpg, the cruiser all kitted out gets 13-15. So compared to your taco your talking 5mpg max difference.

If your thinking 4runner look at a 100 series too. There is a lot more interior room in a cruiser I think, albeit the 4runner isn't tiny. MPG will be about equal especially if your looking at a v8 runner

GaFJC

Expect equally dismal mpg's from the 100. My mildly built 100 sees around 12 mpg with a light foot.

I went from a '00 Tacoma to a '07 FJC and then purchased a '00 100 series. Loved all but with a young but growing family we've never looked back from purchasing the 100. The room, road manners, reliability, and forum support from IH8MUD makes ownership much easier than most autos.

I don't miss the bed of the Tacoma that much and have a $600 utility trailer from Home Depot on those rare occasions when I need to haul something large. I can easily fit a canoe and two lake kayaks on the Yakima roof bars.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
I am looking at a couple of 200 series. A 2008 with 80K for 36,000 and a 2009 with 83K for 39,000. Both have the 5.7 engine.

voodoojk

Adventurer
I'm kinda in the same dilemma. I have a 2012 DCSB TRD OFF RD Right now. It's a great truck and love it. We just took a 1999 land cruiser in on trade at my work. One owner,white, locker , rear A/C, prestine interior and almost the same exterior. 166k miles . My theory is trade the taco in. I'd break even and get the LC. no more car payment...

The taco is our main vehicle and I also have a beater subaru. Very tight budgeted new family and mom is stay at home right now. It's a battle in my head to trade in my "perfect" rig for a 13 year old with 166k miles. Ugh that car payment in my pocket every month would be great

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne