Land Cruiser over Tacoma

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Currently I have a 2012 Tacoma with 55,000 miles that I bought brand new. I have a TRD Supercharger,3" lift, front and rear bumpers, sliders, aux. fuse block and all the other mods for overlanding. I am at a point where I am thinking to trade it for a 2008 land cruiser with 80,000 miles. One reason for the thought is that the Tacoma is not very roomy and comfrotable for my wife and son, especally on long trips. I used to go to allot of offroad parks with the Tacoma which is why I did all the modifications to it, but that just does not interest me anymore and seeing all the damage people do to their trucks is not a good idea for my DD. I still want a very capable vehicle to take off road and more room for the family to go camping. I know I have ALLOT of time and money invested in the Tacoma, but my son is getting older now and I do not want to spend all my time messing with the taco. I would rather take him to enjoy the outdoors. What would you do????

My Tacoma

20140717_133430.jpg

20140720_100017.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Funny, I have a 1st gen DC Taco that is set-up perfectly.... then I bought an 80 series and the family prefers the 80 every time. We still take the Taco because I can not afford to build the 80 to what the Taco is, but I say, get the truck that makes the family happy and enjoy your time with them!

e34croak

I had a 2004 Tacoma DC that I loved. Obviously the newer generation DC is somewhat bigger and more comfortable but.. After a whack-job lady totaled my Tacoma last summer I had been on the hunt for a 100 series. Once I test drove the one that I finally purchased (a year later) I could never go back to the Tacoma as a DD.

Arktikos

Explorer
Straight trade? I'd probably do it. Don't like lifted trucks and it'd be a good opportunity to ditch it. Better choice, in my opinion, would be a 4Runner. Land Cruisers suck gas like nobody's business, which doesn't make much sense for a daily driver.

Sempertoy

Explorer
A little different situation than what I was in. I sold a first gen taco extended cab for an 80 series cruiser. My reasons were similar to yours. At the time it was just my wife and I but now we are expecting our first and I am so happy to have a bigger vehicle.

On a side note, your Taco looks incredible.

theside00

Adventurer
That is a very nice tacoma but the family would love you if you got a cruiser. What I would do is sell the tacoma and buy a 100 series. Then you could have a little cash in your pocket to build it up a little.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Good to know I am not the only one with this delima. My wife did not even flinch when I told her I was thinking about getting rid of the Tacoma. She currently has a 2013 4Runner limited fully loaded, but no modifications to that baby and it is HER DD. The Tacoma sucks gas bad so not too concerened about mileage. On regular grandma driving I get about 240 miles per tank.The tacoma is the truck I always wanted, but I want the happy wife happy life and family fun trips. I usually end up going alone cause she does not perfer the Tacoma. As always good answers and good people here. Thanks and keep them coming. I will keep looking to see what I can find.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I had a very nice 04 Taco built up like yours. Traded for an FJ60 with a v8 and have not looked back. Currently own an 80 with a v8. No more Tacos for me, only Cruisers. :)

Cheers

shellb

Adventurer
Actually debating this right now: 100 series, Tacoma or Tundra.

I have had a bunch of LCs but never a 100 series and all my trucks have been Fords. Kind of have an itch to get a Toyota truck, but then I just talk myself into another LC.

I'm totally lost this go round, but looking forward to others input!

Willman

Great thread and feedback. I'm in a similar boat....Would like more room for the kids etc....But I have to much time and $$$$ rapped in mine. 100 Series would be cool.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
Im keeping my Tacoma and giving it to my son when he turns 16. I only have 13 more years then I can get something else. It is a little tight, but I think we can make it work. If not, then I'm selling the Tacoma, and getting an old burban... or Land Criuser... or K5 blazer... or Power Wagon... or Jeep Wagoneer... there's so many to chose from!!!!

Jahwn

I traded in my 04 Tacoma and bought a 100 series back in April. I'm very happy with it, especially from the comfort and extra room perspective. They're built like tanks, and feel very stable and safe. We just had our second child a few weeks ago, and having room for 2 car seats and pretty much all the gear we need to go on any adventure is awesome. Gas mileage isn't great, but neither was the mileage in the taco.
If you want to keep the family comfortable, and willing to go on more adventures, you can't go wrong with the LC.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
I also have allot of time and money in my tacoma, but if I get rid of it the LC will stay pretty much stock. it is nice to have extra time to spend with family instead of working on the tacoma. I would rather put more time and money into my trailer and family time

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
I also have allot of time and money in my tacoma, but if I get rid of it the LC will stay pretty much stock. it is nice to have extra time to spend with family instead of working on the tacoma. I would rather put more time and money into my trailer and family time

I hear ya brother, I've added an ARB bullbar, M8000, and OME lift... I was thinking about front and rear lockers, but I'm not sure it would be worth it. I probably will not spend much more monies on the Tacoma, and shift my focus to camping gear. That way if I find the Tacoma is too small, I can either sell it, or store it at my dad's and start with something else. I'll say this: I'm not buying anything new... the depreceation is way too high, and I'd like to pay cash for my next vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz