Opinions On Old Trucks with New Engines?

Rot Box

Explorer
Imo if the rest of the truck checks out good I'd have a $1200 re-man long block (oem specs with decent warrantee) installed and then hit the road. The TBI's were probably my favorite era for GM mostly because they're comfy, reliable, cheap to own/maintain and they are fairly simple for the average person to work on. Sure they had some quirks but overall I think GM did a good job.

Keep us posted I'd be interested in hearing what you decide.

Andrew

EDIT: Prices may have changed---Lets say 1200-1500 ish :coffeedrink:

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I'm currently doing the same thing. I bought a 10 year old truck with a bad engine, and started swapping out parts. New engine and tranny cost what the truck did, but now I'm good for many years. Doing the nickel and dime crap now. I hate it, but I don't like the newer trucks, so it's worth it to me. I'd love an early 80's Suburban, but rust free ones aren't to be found in the Midwest.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Add my vote for older vehicles. I drive a 91' bronco that's almost rust free. The nickel and dime stuff wasn't anything I couldn't handle. I started in on the mods while doing that. What started out as replacing the axle seal turned into a LS Differential swap. An EGR valve leak turned into replacing all vacuum lines.

My advice, get familiar with your local parts yard or junkyard. Its amazing the things you can find there for dirt cheap. Plus, you can get some "practice" in while removing the part you want so you don't screw up later on your truck. Also, keep all the little hardware bits you pull off at the yard. Screws, nuts, bolts, etc. that are hard to find these days. Heck, I found a drop down TV that I pulled out of a van that I installed for the gf so she can watch movies. On that note, older trucks are easier to modify due to the simpler systems. Of course, it helps to have a mechanic who understands that before computer controls became common, other means of engine management were used.

Old trucks aren't bad if you don't mind a little TLC. They also tend to soak up a lot more damage than newer trucks before quitting. So if you don't mind investing some time and sweat, older is the way to go.

1meanz

Mullet Club Chairman
Know your limitations. Limitations on time, ability, budget, tools and workspace. Be real with yourself about those limitations. Most people that think old trucks are nightmares are running short one or more of those things. If you think you rank well enough in those items and go with an old truck, you've got to maintain them, and be proactive about LOOKING for problems and/or the next thing to break before it does. Not making payments on a new truck is nice, but you've still got to invest time/money/effort into your older truck with some regularity. Preventative maintenance is your friend. Make note at each oil change of any new or persistant leaks, loose U joints or steering components, broken springs, rusty brake lines, etc. I keep an eagle eye on my older cars and trucks, and I know what is leaking, and what is about to need replaced. I've been driving old rebuilt cars and trucks for 15 years now and have only been broken down where I couldn't get home without help 2 times. If you know your truck, and you replace things before they fail, you'll have a reliable truck that you can be proud of.

Kaisen

Explorer
I think a lot of us forget that a 75K mile 2008 (normal miles for a seven year old used vehicle) is going to have little things break all the time too. So guess what? Buying that 2008 with 75K miles DOES NOT insulate you from having repairs -- even bad engines and transmissions -- in the coming years.

So what's the difference? None.

At some point a truck with 90,000 miles or 140,000 miles or 240,000 miles are equal risks to repairs. It's about resetting clocks, and when the bigger items were last addressed. I'd rather buy a 1994 with a new motor, new tires, new brakes, and rebuilt suspension components for $7K than a used 2008 with all original components (hasn't worn them out completely yet) and bald tires for, what, $22K? Think about it...

plumber mike

Adventurer
.....not to mention newer trucks often have problems with expensive components that don't even exist on an older unit. Can you tell how happy I am that the service 4wd light is on in the Tahoe..possible transfer case control module. Never going to have that problem on my suburban.

When the time comes to drop the coin on rebuilding a system or component, an older vehicle will generally cost less.

I'm mad at newer vehicles today:)

Seabass

Idiot
I'm gonna vouch for the older trucks too. My old 97 F-350 work truck has 300,000 on it. 351 and a five speed and just today I pulled a 32' gooseneck. I'm in tune with it though. I keep up with my maintenance and watch for problems. I check it over top to bottom fairly regularly. But it's great- I can fix pretty much anything that could break with common tools. I've been driving it for about three years every day and trust it to take me anywhere I want to go. It's nice to know I can fix it on the side of the road or in a parts house parking lot and don't have to be ASE certified to do it- and it's paid for! Here's a pic of the ole tank so you can see how well old trucks can hold up.
8bc9268de4d57511435d6a6ab98e3ff8.jpg

Seabass

Idiot
Oh- I didn't mention. The ole truck has a fresh engine. That's a perk. And the very first thing I did when I got it home was drain every fluid that could be drained into clean bright colored containers. That way I could inspect it for metal shavings or glitter or anything that looked bad. It gave me a good guess to what I had just brought home and told me of places to keep an eye on. It ain't the first high miler I've bought and I've had great luck buying these. In fact- I pretty em' up and usually some red-neck offers me a profit and I end up letting it go. Then I get to find another one and start again. But not this truck- I like it too much to let it go.

Bojak

Adventurer
I can vouch for the long block 350 TBI motor. That's what my truck has up the skirt. Not a hot rod motor, and never really will be but super simple, reliable and can handle pulling some loads. It will never impress you, untill after a while you realize it doesn't let you down either. I've g ad fun doing the fixin' on my truck. Learned a ton along the way.

98dango

Expedition Leader
When I think of selling my truck to just flat buying a new my wife makes me fallow a few rules.

Will it do what you want the way it is

Is it comfortable

Is it comfortable yes she asks that at least 2 times why I can fix or build any thing.

We agree once our Tahoe is paid off no more payments. We will always own hi mileage rigs we simply drive to much. So why buy a new or newer lo mileage rig just to watch it run up fast. We drive on average 1500 miles every 2 weeks on both our trucks. Do they always need love sure.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I was thinking more along the lines of a 60s power wagon 4 door with a cummins or a 70s Ford S/C with a powerstroke. now were talking!

98dango

Expedition Leader
It's done all the time I'm currently doing a 1973 crew cab with a idi 7.3. The big this is do you like the old truck that much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles