Opinions On Old Trucks with New Engines?

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I kind of want to have a lot of spare cash before I get this (or any) new-to-me vehicle. I'm thinking having $10,000 available would be good insurance, just in case anything else comes up. It'll probably be December or January before I make any move. The truck in question is sitting in a heated garage where it is for sale for $2000. My buddy has no problem keeping it longer, and it's really no biggie if he sells it. There's not a lot of road access to the backcountry around here until at least April (due to snow), so I have until then to really decide what direction I'm going to go in. Until then, my 2000 Explorer will continue to do me just fine.

I do think I am going to go for an older vehicle and put money into it. Pretty much for all the reasons stated above, as well as the fact that I wouldn't mind scratching an old vehicle on a tight trail, but not so much a new one. The thought has occurred to me to just keep my Explorer. It's been more than good to me since I bought it in 2009. I seem to always be replacing joints and bearings, and I don't even drive it that hard (usually). As much as I love it, it's pretty light-duty. Also, the year 2000 seems to have an exceptionally low number of aftermarket parts.

Seabass, that is an awesome truck. I think I'll probably end up with a late 90's early 00's heavy duty truck, and I would jump on the chance to get something in that nice of shape. We just got a 2012 Ford Fiesta, so I feel I've satisfied any low fuel consumption requirements for the family. A big tuck would round out the fleet nicely, no?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
You should also consider the technology differences between generations of trucks. For instance, what will and won't completely kill the engine. Is it sophisticated enough to get decent mileage on a tank of gas, yet still rugged enough to keep going after a tornado hits it? That's why I prefer late 80's early 90's vehicles. Just when fuel injection was becoming common and reliable, yet still using mostly simpler technology to keep it running. My 91' Bronco only needs the on board computer to control the fuel injectors and that's about it. So long as it does that, my rig will run.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
My take on this is, high mileage vehicles with new engines are just that, high mileage. Unless someone has gone through ALL of the susupension, steering, driveline, A/C, etc., etc. the items that have not been replaced with a known mileage amount, means these systems are likely going to nickle and dime you to death. I always love reading the ads that say, 200,000 miles but brand new engine. Great about the engine but everything else has 200,000 miles and is likely worn out. If the major systems have been replaced and are low mileage of those parts, then it might not be as much of an issue. If not, I always factor in the replacement of these systems, especially if I am planning to go very remote places with it. I don't want some simple item like a high mileage u-joint breaking when I am 100 miles from anything. Just my thoughts.

+1. The entire vehicle wears as a system. Replacing one component still means that the rest of the system has all that mileage.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Oddly enough, I need to go buy a chainsaw today, and am also conflicted as to whether I should search Craigslist for a used one, or just go down to my Stihl dealer.

65 scout

To me the problem with the older trucks is efficiency in terms of fuel usage. The problem with the newer trucks is the cost and technical side of repairs. Give me a mid 70's or older truck with a throttle body or similar efi and I'm a happy camper. Another problem with the newer stuff has nothing to do with the major components but all the accessories. Things like needing to remove an entire dash to replace a heater core or remove the cab to replace valve cover gaskets it one of the most irritating things of the newer vehicles. The cost is yet another thing. Get a price quote for a late model ford/chevy/dodge water pump and compare it to the cost of a 1970's water pump/starter etc. While the newer automatic transmission have gotten much more reliable the manual transmissions are probably less reliable. The aluminum cases on many manual transmissions often fail before the internals. The cases simply wear out. My old T-18 has been in use since 1968 and has no issues. The only issue I had with it was twisting off the output yoke and that wasn't the transmissions fault but instead just a dumb kid with a heavy foot and a whole lot of tire smoke.

If I had a ford I'd run a 302 HO or a 351W with efi, If I had a chevy I'd run a throttle body injection in a 350 and if I had a dodge it'd probably be an early efi 360 or 318. Decent mileage, decent power and most of the power is in the lower rpm range where I use it and not at 4000 rpm. I like torquey pushrod v8's but that's just me.

Give me a ford pickup from the 1970's or 1960's with a heater that runs on cables rather than vacuum, temp sensors and who knows what else. The parts are cheap and the repairs are simple. Better yet I'll just keep plugging along on my 1965 IH scout model 80. With a basic tools set consisting of open end wrenches, a socket set, some screw drivers, a vice grip, pliers and some bailing wire, a hammer and duct tape chances are there isn't much I can't fix on the side of the road or in the parts store parking lot. Beside hanging onto these old trucks builds a relationship and knowledge of your truck that most people never enjoy.

jpat30

Adventurer
"With a basic tools set consisting of open end wrenches, a socket set, some screw drivers, a vice grip, pliers and some bailing wire, a hammer and duct tape chances are there isn't much I can't fix on the side of the road or in the parts store parking lot. Beside hanging onto these old trucks builds a relationship and knowledge of your truck that most people never enjoy. "

^^^And thus ended the sermon, Amen...............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94