Opinions On Old Trucks with New Engines?

LilPoppa

Adventurer
I've never had an engine replaced, so I though I would ask for the experienced opinions found on this here forum.

So there's this truck. It's a '94 Chevy 1500 4x4 with over 350,000km on it. It's pretty rust-free, the suspension is tip-top, it had its transmission rebuilt before it got parked, and I can buy it for $1000. The engine is on its last legs, and with a bit of research, I figure if I were to give it a new one, the Chevy Performace 350 from Summit Racing would be the way to go. So:
  • The engine costs about $2100
  • I've heard to the cost to install is about $1000, so lets just double that and say $2000
  • For S&G's lets add another $1000
With the price of the truck, I'm at $6000ish. If I search AutoTrader for trucks at that price, I get quite a few that aren't that much newer with high kilometers. Would it not be better to get have this older truck with a new engine? I mean, things are going to go wrong with those $6000 trucks, at least here I don't have to worry about the engine, right?

I feel like I'm missing something vital here. Could I get some experienced opinions, please?

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Oh yeah, the truck has a canopy, so I'd either be converting that into some kind of sleeping shell for camping (maybe with a Maggiolina tent) or putting a lightweight popup on it. It may have too low a payload rating anyway. So there's that.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Be sure to check with what ever your local emissions authority is to be sure that the engine you are thinking about installing will be legal.

It may be cheaper & easier to rebuild the existing engine, which will also negate emissions legality concerns. If you're looking for OEM performance - rebuilding the existing engine isn't exactly rocket science. If, on the other hand, you are thinking about performance upgrades on the engine, just keep in mind that the further you go down that road, you closer you get to "rocket science" & the more you need to be concerned with emissions legality. Some jurisdictions are pretty laid back with regard to emissions, some are hard-asses. Check with yours to see.

Overall, engine rebuilds aren't that big of a deal as long as you (or who ever is doing the work) pay attention to the details & use good quality parts. Don't cut corners on that one.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I would not see why not, as long as no major modifications would need to be done. Would the tranny bits hold up to the up in power?

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Hmm, yeah, maybe I should talk to a couple mechanics about rebuilding. Or at least just replacing it with something more similar to the original. I'm not so much into "performance upgrades" as starting somewhere new and not with 350,000km. I suppose an increase in power would affect a whole range of bits, tranny and otherwise.

Thanks guys.

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I'm thinking along the same lines... I don't like any of the newer trucks as well as the one I have, but am concerned about the miles and could use a bit more power. Besides, I could spend a lot on my 2004 for what a newer one would cost. A new one like it would be over $40,000.

ExpoMike

My take on this is, high mileage vehicles with new engines are just that, high mileage. Unless someone has gone through ALL of the susupension, steering, driveline, A/C, etc., etc. the items that have not been replaced with a known mileage amount, means these systems are likely going to nickle and dime you to death. I always love reading the ads that say, 200,000 miles but brand new engine. Great about the engine but everything else has 200,000 miles and is likely worn out. If the major systems have been replaced and are low mileage of those parts, then it might not be as much of an issue. If not, I always factor in the replacement of these systems, especially if I am planning to go very remote places with it. I don't want some simple item like a high mileage u-joint breaking when I am 100 miles from anything. Just my thoughts.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
agreed

i agree with expomike, i sold my 97 cummins with 275k because it was nickle and dimeing me to death. the motor would have gone on forever, but everything else was falling apart. i bought an 03 2500 hemi with 70k for what i sold the cummins for, ive put about 50k on the 03 with nothing but oil changes.

Bojak

Adventurer
I drive an 89 with over 100k in mikes on body but 30k ish on crate motor. Right now its my daily driver. Issues? Sure. All vehicles got issues. My buddy has a newer f150 w ecoboost, had it back to dealers shop 3 times. They don't pro-rate his payment while it's there. There is no perfect solution for one person that works for all. You either pay to keep an old one running or you pay on a newer one. Hopefully not both on a newer one. Old trucks are cooler. I can buy his, he can't just go get mine. Good luck.

Kevin108

Explorer
I just recently sold an 87 Chevy V-10 I've had for 12 years.

If you cannot perform the engine swap yourself, I would not buy an old truck. There will be too many other items that need work with that kind of mileage. Hub assemblies, ball joints, and steering components are common problems on those trucks. It's also on the OBDI system which isn't nearly as useful as the newer OBDII iteration.

If I was getting an old Chevy, I'd go 86 and older. They don't have the HP of the TBI and newer injection systems but they're more reliable and easier to troubleshoot plus the solid front axle is problem-free. Just check the lower cab corners for rust and look for frame cracks around the steering gearbox of it has oversized tires.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Lilpoppa I think if you know the truck has a good suspension and that the transmission is in good shape then you hve a good platform to start with. Summit racing has some good stuff so I think you can rely on their quality. You really have to ask yourself about how much work you can do yourself and how much would have to be done in a shop. I would say go for that rig. The price seems right and you know the vehicle. Keep us updated and post some pics if you have them. Chers, Chilli..:)

ripperj

Explorer
I think you have to decide if you like working on trucks, because as others have stated, lots of things besides the engine and tranny will need work. I personally stopped enjoying working on vehicles many years ago (repairs, exhaust, brakes, clutches etc- I still like mods alot) , I got to the point where I could afford to buy newer cars and trucks, and pay someone if they needed work. Of course the auto techs seem to suck these days, so I end up doing a lot of inspections and rework.
I spend the time I used to spend wrenching with my family. I realize not everyone is in the same boat.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

twodollars

I'm new to the forum but thought I'd add my two cents. A truck new enough to have less than 100k miles on it is not a financial option for me, so I buy used. I stay with the same vintage of Gm trucks, so I have become familiar with what brakes and how to fix it. My latest is a 94 k2500 diesel burb. It was silly cheap, but needed a fresh motor. At the same time I pulled the trans and went through that. If you can accept that there will be repairs along the way, it's a great way to get a lot of ruck for not a lot of money, but they do require odd things like window regulators, radiators, and all of the "regular" maintenance like brakes and tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier