2008 F450, motor swap, multi purpose truck.

coastal616

Adventurer
Super easy, I bought a pedal assembly from a wrecker for a super duty, all the studs are already installed in the cab, as well as the hole for the master cylinder. Of course I complicated things a bit by making a wilwood master cylinder adapt to it, just to get a superior product than the plastic ford stuff. But overall it was easy.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
SOoo very cool, The 360 is such an over looked engine, nice to see a modern truck with a real engine! oh and I got a buddy in PA putting a 466 in a 74 IH travelett such cool swaps!

coastal616

Adventurer
SOoo very cool, The 360 is such an over looked engine, nice to see a modern truck with a real engine! oh and I got a buddy in PA putting a 466 in a 74 IH travelett such cool swaps!

Yes I know of his swap, we are on another forum together. Tell him to get to work. Lol

Humvette

Adventurer
Uh WAY COOOLLL!!!

I love my F450 and have some crazy plans for the future :p ...

how many miles did you have on it before the swap?

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Nice work. The clutch pedal assembly is a sore point for any stick shifted Super Duty (in my opinion). Looks like you have fixed the short comings there.

Not to mention, fixing all the issues with the 6.4! (well, it looks like except the radiator!).

One day, I'd like to put a 360 in a 78/79 Ford when funds allow for a "play" truck, awesome motors, there is a reason the DT engines are revered in the tractor pulling community! Its just a pity they are so big and heavy, but I think that's their only detractor.
Am just glad you didn't go a 12V. It makes me almost as sick seeing those in a Ford Truck as it does seeing a 350 in a 32 Ford Roadster.

For your power increase plans, I assume a P-Pump swap, winding that out, replacing the turbo and fitting an intercooler?

Last edited:

coastal616

Adventurer
Uh WAY COOOLLL!!!

I love my F450 and have some crazy plans for the future :p ...

how many miles did you have on it before the swap?

About 105,000 miles. A shame really, as I loved driving the 6.4.

Nice work. The clutch pedal assembly is a sore point for any stick shifted Super Duty (in my opinion). Looks like you have fixed the short comings there.

Not to mention, fixing all the issues with the 6.4! (well, it looks like except the radiator!).

One day, I'd like to put a 360 in a 78/79 Ford when funds allow for a "play" truck, awesome motors, there is a reason the DT engines are revered in the tractor pulling community! Its just a pity they are so big and heavy, but I think that's their only detractor.
Am just glad you didn't go a 12V. It makes me almost as sick seeing those in a Ford Truck as it does seeing a 350 in a 32 Ford Roadster.

For your power increase plans, I assume a P-Pump swap, winding that out, replacing the turbo and fitting an intercooler?

Ya the radiator...it is almost new, I replaced it just before pulling the motor, I hope it will be fine with the DT, they are such cool running motors. The stock DT360 radiator had a surface area of around 360 square inches...the f450 radiator is around 1000 square inches. With less heat stress maybe it will last longer than the other POS. I get a lot of flack from the 12v nerds who don't know what a DT is...they don't realize it's technically a superior motor and heavier duty in every way.

For power upgrades, you have it right! P-pump, adapters to install P-pump, bigger turbo, and I'm already running the huge factory intercooler. ;) This thing will be so awesome with 4-500 hp. I can hardly wait!

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
The dt360 is a common swap in the military deuce and a half. Even with its stock tiny radiator it doesn't have cooling issues, think your f450 radiator will handle it great.

the kid

Juke Box Hero
Wow amazing transformation and I'm glad to see something different. Those 6.4s where never a good motor imo. I think they were pushed too hard and expected to do too much. All the electronics holding it just at the limits and controlling everything I think the term I'm looking for is delicate. I was a shift lead for a fleet of ford ambulances a few years back and we started switching over to duramax just as the 6.4 was coming out. To me the biggest draw back was having to pull the cab to work on them. That wasn't gonna fly in an ambulance configuration. Plus the heat the 7.3 and 6.0s made was crazy I could only imagine what that 6.4 would do. I think that DT will run a lot cooler.
I love the outside the box build. props to you good sir!

coastal616

Adventurer
I like this truck quite a bit. Bravo sir!

Thanks!

This has got to be one of the coolest builds I've seen in years. Outstanding :cool:

Again Thanks!

The dt360 is a common swap in the military deuce and a half. Even with its stock tiny radiator it doesn't have cooling issues, think your f450 radiator will handle it great.

That is good to hear!

Amazing build. Any plans other then More power!

I have some 8' long tool boxes, I plan to make a complete bolt on deck accessory that is a camping/exploring deck, 8' boxes, with a steel rack housing a rooftop tent and over the cab storage, slide out middle section with other goodies.... soonish!

Wow amazing transformation and I'm glad to see something different. Those 6.4s where never a good motor imo. I think they were pushed too hard and expected to do too much. All the electronics holding it just at the limits and controlling everything I think the term I'm looking for is delicate. I was a shift lead for a fleet of ford ambulances a few years back and we started switching over to duramax just as the 6.4 was coming out. To me the biggest draw back was having to pull the cab to work on them. That wasn't gonna fly in an ambulance configuration. Plus the heat the 7.3 and 6.0s made was crazy I could only imagine what that 6.4 would do. I think that DT will run a lot cooler.
I love the outside the box build. props to you good sir!

I agree...there are SOOOO many things to go wrong with any modern diesel. Not to mention an EMP strike! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94