2008 F450, motor swap, multi purpose truck.

coastal616

Adventurer
Here we go,

Well the 6.4 slowly started dying a year or so back. It's still driveable, but I can't tow with it. Head gasket has a leak, it over heats under any load and pukes coolant...the usual.

I really like the motor, but the complicated electronics, and ram jammed engine bay aren't appealing to me. I had quotes to fix the head gasket, along with studs and whatever else they recommended and the quotes were from $6500-$10000. And it still has the original bottom end, HPOP, and whatever else might want to fail next.

I picked up a 1993 International 5 ton with a DTA360 for $1500, pulled the motor and have tentatively sold the truck for around $1000.

I didn't want to use an auto that might fail next, or spend $5-7000 building a tranny, so I've decided to stay medium duty. I picked up an International reNEWed Spicer ESO66-7b 7 speed tranny for $1500.

Next step is to divorce the factory T-case, and make this big blue beast fit.

Taking this:

DSC_0722_zpsebdb6324.jpg

DSC_0255_zps42040572.jpg

IMG_20140428_173016_zpsrcteotne.jpg

DSC_0810_zpsrcnlcuas.jpg

DSC_0812_zpshusszrxx.jpg

wanted to see how hard it would be to make this motor run out of the truck so I know what I am up against...

Apparently a battery, a Jerry can of diesel, a jump start and one wire.

Dt360 startup on a stand - YouTube

First project hiccup...the input shaft on the new transmission is quite a bit bigger than the original one. I thought I could put a DT466 flywheel on, but it has a different bolt pattern. Sooooo either find a 52mmx30mm bearing, or get the flywheel machined to fit a bearing that works. Not a big deal...

Pic shows a dt466 bearing above and the dt360 bearing below.

DSC_0842_zpslduspofr.jpg

Flywheel machined, $100, new bearing $13, flywheel resurfaced $60:

DSC_0848_zpsunetwzj4.jpg

DSC_0849_zpsbcqcmftx.jpg

coastal616

Adventurer
Good lord...what have I gotten myself into....

DSC_0936_zpshboqvotc.jpg

Had to lift the cab to get the down pipe out, sold my h&s tuner, exhaust, and intake for $1700.... so far I am profiting on the swap $$ wise...not including time.

I think I'm gonna need bigger tires once the flat deck goes on. They look small now.

DSC_0943_zpscbzkkbhc.jpg

Sionara!

IMG_20140701_101754_zpsazlf0yjd.jpg
[/QUOTE]

engine and transmission fit.. Just need to make mounts now, I would never attempt this without a hoist...the amount of times the cab has gone up and down...probably 20-30 so far. The medium duty tranny makes things a bit more difficult because of the width and size of the bellhousing, I might just run a 1 or 2" body lift to make things fit...other wise some cutting of the floor around the gas pedal will be necessary.

DSC_0958_zpssnu4r0tc.jpg

Cgosms_2014-07-0310-24-53_zps88lxitfh.jpg

The OEM radiator for the DTA360 had 372 square inches of surface area, the F450 radiator has 999 Square inches, hopefully with 2 electric fans, and a custom sealed shroud cooling should be a non issue.

Slave cylinder arrived too. Volvo Air/hydraulic, hydraulics from the clutch pedal open the air valve, and air does all the work. I've read you can depress the clutch with a finger.

DSC_0961_zpseraoyadn.jpg

That's where I'm at as of today!

coastal616

Adventurer
Motor mounted.....yay.

Hanging on its own, just need to pull it back out and final weld:

DSC_0978_zpsgnu23qv3.jpg

DSC_0977_zps56hhkvig.jpg

Cgosms_2014-07-0610-31-59_zpsonfg9rtu.jpg

DSC_0975_zpsdt6p9bcm.jpg

DSC_0974_zpswjdgrxjp.jpg

This one was a bit tricky because the cab comes so tight to where the mount is supposed to bolt on, had to do an offset lowered mount

DSC_0973_zpspe1furhg.jpg

And....shifting gears:

IMG_20140707_202225_zpsk9zgihwv.jpg

ulled the motor back out to finish welding and make a few adjustments. I had to make a fuel filter cut out in the old ford crossmember and wanted to beef that back up since I cut out so much of it. I want to show how I did it since pictures seem to be so top secret with these DT swaps. ;)

DSC_0990_zpsisrzvtij.jpg

Motor mounts:

DSC_0991_zpsocuvkbds.jpg

Good day today...finally found all the metric adapters to make the air/hydraulic slave cylinder work.

Then I went to Pats Driveline to grab the yoke I ordered in to take my giant tranny yoke down to 1480 yokes, next question was how much to make a small shaft for the divorced transfer case. He asked what tcase....I said for the nv273...he goes oh ya like the kodiak version, I have those in stock.

I says pardon? In stock?

1/4 the price I thought I was going to have to pay and picked it up same day. #winning

DSC_1014_zpst3dizgwq.jpg

Got a driveshaft in, clutch is working, adapted a wilwood master to the stock pedal assembly for reliability and ease of normal non proprietary fittings. Initial testing with the air slave tells me it reduces clutch effort by around 50%. It's super easy to disengage it with my arm. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSKz1VegiYo&list=UUDdwoXo_-Ytq_IgHO8WgRVQ

This clutch setup is awesome... Feels like a Honda civic clutch!

A couple pics of the engine bay, nothing fancy or pretty...just in get it done and working mode.

DSC_1043_zpsu9fpexrf.jpg

DSC_1044_zpsvqf5cvdo.jpg

Got a dumping flat deck today too, needs shortening and a cleanup...but it was almost free.

DSC_1041_zpsjenxipga.jpg

*****VIDEO of FIRST DRIVE*****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g1FVxI4Pz4

Last edited:

coastal616

Adventurer
Flatbed installed, I think I might do a new headache rack, something a little sleeker and less work truck. The factory hitch needs to go to clean up the rear. Also need to paint the whole truck soon too. :D

DSC_1076_zpsrkk402l6.jpg

DSC_1074_zpsjfgcvjgu.jpg

Well small update, got tired of driving it around with so little power and I ordered a set of OEM injectors for a 240hp DTA466. Installed them this morning and holy crap what a difference! It's no where near chipped 6.4l power, but it makes driving it a bit fun at least.

Also got the factory intercooler installed.

And had some wicked tacos from a taco truck.

DSC_1143_zpsvidvbnl1.jpg

DSC_1145_zpslyyqhw5o.jpg

DSC_1142_zpsuxyolwnk.jpg

Oh...and got a Carli 4.5" lift from BCC too:

IMG_20140910_161635_zpsxkqd99cm.jpg

Took the truck to BCC yesterday to get the Carli kit installed, along with some procomp lift springs on top of a Deaver mini pack.

The truck rides amazing on the street now...and its incredibly smooth on dirt. I just went for a quick trip around my back yard trails and it's really fun. Yay!

IMG_20140917_164246_zpsxh7lwgid.jpg

Not bad for a 1 ton!
IMG_20140917_164842_zpssyqv9yxh.jpg

And divorced np273:

DSC_1188_zpsdmgb8a7m.jpg

New input on the left:

Cgosms_2014-09-2101-11-54_zpsycwqhv9v.jpg

DSC_1190_zpsb7fkq8he.jpg

coastal616

Adventurer
And that brings it up to speed...lol Oh the flatbed is now painted, and I'm hoping to get the T-case back installed in the next couple weeks.

chaos616

Adventurer
Thats fantastic, keep it coming! I like your tire set up too! So i assume there is less zip with the new engine, but does it pull pretty hard?

Cheers,

coastal616

Adventurer
Thats fantastic, keep it coming! I like your tire set up too! So i assume there is less zip with the new engine, but does it pull pretty hard?

Cheers,

Currently I would say there is NO zip. lol compared to a chipped 6.4 this is like driving a suzuki sprint with gobs of torque. Diesel power mods coming soon, I'm shooting for 4-500hp...currently it's around 180.

plumber mike

Adventurer
Inspirational build for sure. I wish there were more hours in the day

A few questions for you. For now:coffeedrink:

Was this truck originally an auto?

....and the wheels. Stazworks?

plumber mike

Adventurer
Thanks for the fast response. I start thinking getting an extra pedal to hang in the cab would be the biggest chore of the project....but I've been wrong before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94