Diesel Vanagon

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Non-TDI

Other than being slow, and well, being slow...what is the scoop on the 1.6L?

It's an 82 or 83 with quite a bit of work done, apparently. Non-camper, so as light as these vans get...

I'd probably put in a minimum of westy furniture, and then a long, full-length low-pro safari rack on top with a RTT or thule box with a turbo tent inside for those not sleeping in the van.

Been over to the Samba reading up a bit, and those that like them, like them, but there's quite a bit of mean-muggin' going on, too.

Thanks!

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I had one. It was fun, but well slow :smiley_drive:. As in total death trap to try and maneuver around vehicles with normal horse power.

Biggest issues for me personally.
-Its a now 30 year old 60hp van so i never really trusted it to go far.
-wiring is 30 years old also there were a few gremlins
-the diesel vanagon was only built for two years so parts aren't always easy to get

All in all I liked it. It was weird and quirky in a laugh at yourself driving it sort of way.
They are old enough now that junkyard parts pretty much don't happen. Quality parts to rebuild anything in the engine are hard to come by and you will pay a premium for them.

I don't think I would go diesel again in a VW. But the diesel vanagon has a lot of desire able parts to swap in a ABA 2.0l gas engine should you want to go that route at a later date.

Cole

Expedition Leader
My understanding is that they are fairly easy to swap to a modern 1.9l but it won't be cheap!

You should go to TheSamba.com and ask there. Be sure to check out the prices thread.

If it's a diesel non camper it's worth next to nothing! Literally almost free! Compare that to a late model Westfalia synchro that can run over $100k

boardrider247

My understanding is that they are fairly easy to swap to a modern 1.9l but it won't be cheap!

You should go to TheSamba.com and ask there. Be sure to check out the prices thread.

If it's a diesel non camper it's worth next to nothing! Literally almost free! Compare that to a late model Westfalia synchro that can run over $100k

Funny you should say that. I actually got my diesel passenger van for FREE!
Sold it for $2500 after a few hours worth of work:coffeedrink: and driving it for a year.
Unfortunately vanagon prices (at least here) are going the way of every other vintage VW and anything running and driving is going for 3k. No more $300 VW's for me:(

Cole

Expedition Leader
I've been a huge VW van fan for decades. Currently have a VW Eurovan Westy.

The thing that gave these vans their "cool factor" and ultimately their value is their usefulness. The Vanagon is an odd creature in the USA. It was the last large volume selling small camper van available. The more "useful" a Vanagon is the more valuable it is. A Full camper, 4wd with a motor swap (Subi) is worth the most because it's the van people can still really use. It has a camper that you can explore the backcountry with and still daily drive it. There simply is no other choice in the USA for such a car!

Because of the value of Syncro Westies the "Vanagon guys" seem to think it's ALL about the "classic nature" and "sitting over the front wheels" that brings the value. Yet when you look at the facts of sold vans it clear that the "less useful" 2wd, passenger(non camper) vans are worth the least, even more so with the slowest engine the 1.6 diesel.

I still see $500-1500 vans come up on Craigslist often....and they sit for a long time!

Parts are rare and sorta expensive which makes even a cheap van a potentially costly venture.

boardrider247

I'm with ya cole. Owned 15-20 different vw's over the last ten years. 3 of them vanagons.
Cash for clunkers really put a dent in our market taking many of the potential "parts" vehicles off the market.
Unfortunately for our OP or anyone looking to pick up a vanagon the 80's into 90's vehicles were hit hardest by the govt free money as they weren't considered collectible. The other factor that really drove up prices is scrap price. When you can get $500 in scrap for a van why bother trying to sell it?

Sorry to get too far off topic. To a certain extent it's relevant as the availability of cheap donors for parts is a factor in purchasing a 30 year old van.

Did I mention the diesel was slow:sombrero:

benjamin_smith

My buddy picked up an '82 Westy that had a poorly done 1.9TD AAZ swap done. He's spent an insane number of hours over the past couple of years working on that thing. If he had the choice to do it again, he would have gone with a gasoline engine and done the standard subaru swap.

Johnrunberg

Adventurer
I had a school bus yellow diesel vanagon and loved it. Hellishly loud, terribly slow, tons of fun. 0-60 was a looooong time - it made our air cooled Westy seem fast. Top speed? Maybe 60 - downhill. But it got me where I wanted to go.

Parts are easy to find if you know where to look (NOT The Samba) and they are reliable as hell if we'll maintained. Mine blew its main seal going over Afton mountain and still got me home 5hrs later (and several stops for oil). Had to thin the herd after that.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Big Daddy, you're in San Diego: Have you met Herbie yet and seen what he's done with an Astro?

Not trying to be the Homer, (always praising the home team) just curious if you have. I know you're familiar with mine as I've seen your replies on my threads.

And I certainly don't want to turn your thread in an Astro thread.

I guess a simple , "Yes I have, it's not for me" or " No, I'll have to hook up with him sometime and check it out" is all I'm look kin for.

Good luck.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Brian and I have met, but I think the last time we were together in person I hadn't yet put the pop-top into my van... We keep missing each other at the various Rendezvous and get-togethers.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Brian and I have met, but I think the last time we were together in person I hadn't yet put the pop-top into my van... We keep missing each other at the various Rendezvous and get-togethers.

Hey T.Low, yeah, what Herbie said. :)

(Herbie, It's Mike, isn't it? I think I remember meeting up with you and the other Mike, "ExpoMike" over at HamRadio Outlet years and years ago?".)

As for Astro's I DO have an appreciation of those vans having grown up in a Veedub bus, and then subsequently a GMC Safari. The comfort level was on a completely different level, of course, in the Astro/safari.

One thing that's a no-go on those vans is the passenger footwell, though. My leggy blonde bride wrinkled her nose as she tried to find a comfortable position when we sat in one a few years ago when I was looking at a Jeep replacement. We walked away going "nice van", but somewhat dissappointed with both driver and passenger seating setups. I'm a big dude and if I'm being honest, it wasn't 100% comfy for me either.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
(Herbie, It's Mike, isn't it?
One thing that's a no-go on those vans is the passenger footwell, though. My leggy blonde bride wrinkled her nose as she tried to find a comfortable position when we sat in one a few years ago when I was looking at a Jeep replacement. We walked away going "nice van", but somewhat dissappointed with both driver and passenger seating setups. I'm a big dude and if I'm being honest, it wasn't 100% comfy for me either.

Yep, it's Mike. And yep, footwell is a bit of a problem. I make do as the driver. For the passenger side the best I could manage was to cheat the seat another couple of inches aft when I built the new mounting brackets with the swivel base. It helped some, but luxurious these will never be!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Problem? Man I'd call that a design feature. It keeps the less than dedicated out of your hair. I have an E350 and the wife finds the seating too cramped for her style, and declines to ride in it unless it's a total neccessity, which doesn't cramp my style one bit. :)

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Been a few years and beers since my VW diesel days but if you pull the VC you'll see either regular bolts (hex head, cap screws, all the same things) or socket-head bolts (allen bolts, hex key, etc). The socket-heads are on the newer, better motors. The older blocks were weaker and way more prone to headgasket failures. The socket-head bolts are larger too I think, maybe 12mm vs 11? I know the stock turbo motors got the 12mms, not sure of all the differences from one NA to another but the socket-head bolts are definitely on the newer better motors.

A well tuned 1.6 NA in good condition can knock down 40+mpg in a van (50+ in a "caddy" pickup) and can actually outrun most nearly all snails and turtles you're likely see on the road. They're not powerful, not fast, not especially durable (hell it's a vanagon, nothing about it is especially durable) but also not especially bad engines and can run a long time now that all the questions of what works and what doesn't have answers available on the web.

If you end up with it, add gauges. Oil temp especially. These are not the workhorse diesels Americans tend to think of when they hear the clatter. They can be overworked and will burn up internally but possibly not overheat (steam out the radiator cap).

A guy named Giles mods the pumps for these engines to pep them up. Has a website, performancediesel.ca I think.
Avoid GEX International engines, parts, etc. They were once a quality VW supplier on the west coast but have closed, relocated, closed, relocated, etc and are now in Arkansas and have a very poor reputation in recent years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier