Gen3 with ARB bull bar install questions

atrain

Loooong time lurker with little knowledge or experience (on these topics at least) to offer so I guess I'll start off with a question.....Is the installation much more involved than the limited instructions let on? Any specific tips that might help/things that I should look out for? A friend and I will be attempting to get it on this weekend and I'm hoping for the best. I'd like to think that between the 2 of us, there's enough mechanical ability to get this done......but I suppose that could be subjective!
I have the truck that I wanted, with some of the changes I had planned from day one, and am looking to get more involved in this little life you all have here of camping, traveling, and living.
Thanks in advance.

Igorskiy86

Observer
I have that mod planned for my truck as well, but not quite there yet. I would like to know how good the fit of the arb bumper is and how difficult the install is.

Anyone who installed one, how much further does it stick out past where original bumper would end, or if you can please measure how far it ends from the front grill. I have limited space in my garage, and just want to find out if my montero would fit with bumper installed.

drfreema

AEV JK350
I'd also like to hear from anyone who has done the ARB conversion. I'm planning on doing it to my 2nd gen (with a Cherokee ARB bumper) as soon as I pick it up.

montypower

Adventure Time!
It's rather simple. Basic hand tools and a drill will get it done. I had a friend help with mounting...

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
As stated above, the install is basic.

I picked up a 12 and 13 mm drill bit from my local Snap-On truck.
I've never liked finding the... "closest imperial bit to make it work"

Having a second person is nice.
We used a piece of timber on the floor jack to lift the bumper into place, with one fella steadying the bumper and the other securing the hardware. Also, I increased the size of the fender washers on the bolts that mount the bumper to the crush boxes. The size supplied by ARB looked a bit small for my tasted. I got some large grade eight washers in the end for those four bolts. Lastly, I recommend using lock-tight on all of the nuts. Getting the bumper level and even may take a bit of fiddling.

From the "tip" of the grill (center- right below the MM emblem) to the front of the rubber bumpers is approximately 11 3/4 - 12''.

Cheers!

atrain

Thanks fellas- that's what I was hoping....and I forgot about picking up some lock-tight- will do.

The measurement from the 'tip' as mentioned above, to the front tip of the factory bumper is approximately 3 1/2"....

atrain

Montypower, or anyone else, I got it installed yesterday, with similar gaps and wheel well position to yours- as seen in other pics you've posted. Well I waited till everything was installed before putting grill back on last.....ummm- didn't fit so well. To get it on, I have to remove the winch cover plate (won't currently fit now) and the bottom of the grill is resting on the bumper. I assume I just need to loosen it all up and slide the bumper down and out/forward enough to get clearances? Sucks bc I really liked the spacing...

Igorskiy86

Observer
Thank you very much for the measurements. I was hoping it was a little bit shorter, space in my garage is coming down to just a few inches of clearance, but I think it will still fit.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Montypower, or anyone else, I got it installed yesterday, with similar gaps and wheel well position to yours- as seen in other pics you've posted. Well I waited till everything was installed before putting grill back on last.....ummm- didn't fit so well. To get it on, I have to remove the winch cover plate (won't currently fit now) and the bottom of the grill is resting on the bumper. I assume I just need to loosen it all up and slide the bumper down and out/forward enough to get clearances? Sucks bc I really liked the spacing...

Which bumper model did you buy? There are 2 models. NM & NP. The NM model bumper won't fit the grill correctly and you'll need to notch both outer corners to fit. NP style bumper fits the 03+ Montero (contrary to the ARB website, and their tech support didn't even know). It should allow the grille and headlights to be installed without removing the bumper.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
The NM model ARB bumper should fit the grill without any trimming, it merely needs to be installed before you offer the bumper up to the crush boxes. At least that was my experience.
Too bad you have to take off the bumper and reinstall it a second time.

atrain

Here's a few pics that might help. The gap gradually decreases to zero at the center. There's a slight 'bow' at the center that isn't helping either. Also attached a pic of the sticker on the inside of the bumper, which seems to indicate the bumper fits almost every damn model of Montero possible;) My paperwork does state that it is for an NP model. I drilled 2 new holes forward of the factory ones so the winch cover plate will at least fit, but I guess I'll be loosening it all up and adjusting it low enough so as not to touch the grill.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg