Finishing interior: Rust prevention, sound deadener, bedliner?

colokevin

I have a 1990 Suburban. I plan on gutting the interior and want to finish it with a durable, wash-out interior that resists rust and isn't noisy. So 3 problems that I want to take care of: 1)Rust prevention 2)Sound deadening 3)Durable finish.

I plan on starting with some type of rust prevention spray paint. Recommendations? Since there is little/no rust right now, can I forget about rust prevention?

Next I was planning on some type of sound deadener, but there are so many products out there and I don't know what I need. What works but doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Last I want to bedline the whole interior. How does bedliner look on top of the sound deadening products? Can you see all the crinkles in the foil through the bedliner or does that all get smoothed out? Does it look the same as over bare metal?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Bedrug makes a liner for Jeeps, I am not sure if they make one for burbs or not. it's non slip, does not hold dirt and water in it. seems to be a cool product.

jhill15

Explorer
I havent bedlined the entire interior of any truck ive owned but I did bedline the headliner of a rover dii I used to own. There were some blemishes but mainly on my behalf because I tried to fix the sagging headliner with the spray adhesive from advanced auto, when I pulled the old fabric out it pulled some of the fiber board off. Heres some pics of it
80fad417476536f994a24803f1812d7e.jpg

3358453da29e036c44e7a7e164542017.jpg

One thing I would suggest is to use the aerosol can of bedliner instead of the gallon roll on. Iny experience the aerosol give an even gritty texture and the roll on did not. However ive only used rustolium bedliner so other brands my be different.

Just doing the headliner I didnt notice any difference in sound although I would think if you pulled the carpet out and did the floor there would be a significant difference.
Another option you could use thick rubber mat and customize it to fit your floor. Something like this https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...a=X&ei=jCcnVOOFKsGVyASdqYLQDQ&ved=0CCYQ8wIwCQ

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
IMG_1279.jpgIMG_1986.jpgIMG_2026.jpg

I sprayed Lizard Skin sound deadener and LS ceramic heat control, then sprayed Tinted Monstaliner over all of it. I don't think it's a good idea to spray bedliner over a padded foil type sound control product. I did both sides of the floor and the inside roof. All doors and fenders, firewall, etc. Went on great and really makes the vehicle sound solid, but not cheap.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Scrapdaddy, did the Lizard Skin help with noise and heat noticeably? I'm seriously considering doing the same in my rover. Lizard skin then sound deadening material. Its fairly miserable in there right now.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
When I redid the floor in my Scout, I did a roll on bed liner, then put down some of the bubble inslation from home depot, then put carpet over that. seems to be good at keeping the heat/cold out, annd sound level insiode is much better. I guess we will se in a few years if the bedlinr will keep the floors from rusting out again when water gets under it, that said its been over a year and I am happy with it.
Paul

east_tn_81

Adventurer
+1 for the lizard skin. They make for heat reduction and as a sound barrier. I love bed liner but it doesn't cut down the heat or the noise as well. Good luck.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
LR Max,

It's still not on the road, so can't review yet. With all the products, inside and out, it's made the vehicle very solid. No " tinny " sounds when knocking on a door or fender, etc. I even treated under the hood, very nice.

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 18

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
You don't want to spray bedliner over traditional sound deadening material (dynamat/boom mat/hushmat). Scrapdaddy has the right idea LizardSkin makes heat and sound deadening sprays. Good reviews, but have not used it.

I used Al's Liner on my Scout, very happy with the results, despite my best efforts to screw it up. I did not like the hopper style spray gun that Al's sells, get a spray gun made for undercoating.

Al's is a true three part polyurethane, unlike typical brush on/roll on solvent DIY based bedliners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior