NOS Michelin XM-47s, four 425/75R20, DOT rated for highway speed

greiswig1

Hi,
I have a set of these tires originally purchased for my Unimog. Amazing tires! Perform very well on the road, and unparalleled off road. These are brand new, still have labels and whiskers on them, never mounted and always stored indoors. Original long-life tread compound, made in Spain (not Poland like some).

$4,800 (EDIT: $4,200) plus shipping, or I can arrange to meet you somewhere near Portland, Oregon.

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
XM47s are exceptional tires for a Mog, in that you can't believe that something so aggressive can also be so solid on the highway. And no worries about capacity . . . they can handle 7000 pounds per tire and (even more impressive, to my mind) over 2600 pounds per tire at 55 mph at only 15 psi.

This isn't the best picture for looking at the tires, but this is a photo of CamperMog and George's 416 DoKa down by the John Day:

DSCN1568.jpg~original

At least you can get an idea of what this size XM47 looks like on his Mog. Big impressive things for sure, and the 45" diameter helps drop revs at a Mog's cruise speed.

There's technical documentation for the tire here: http://www.michelinag.com/content/d...le/Technical-documentation-MICHELIN-XM-47.pdf

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Seems like they have a maximum speed rating of 55mph?

As do most Mogs. ;)

Seriously, the maximum speed rating is indeed 55 mph, but that applies at maximum capacity and pressure. While you'll never get a Michelin lawyer to say it, the fact that the tires would often be at half capacity and half maximum pressure gives them a considerable margin of safety over the already conservative rating.

Continental MP-80s are rated to 62 mph, although they're not really the same thing, form-factorwise. As best I know, XM47s are unique for being ag tires that are good on pavement and killer on trails. But I never actually ran a set, so maybe someone with first hand experience can post up to verify their lofty reputation.

greiswig1

I've been pretty amazed by the tires that are on my 416. We drove through a recently-burned area of Southern Oregon, and it turns out that recently-burned manzanita bushes make fire-sharpened spears. My friend in the other Unimog (which was running Continental military treads) got two flats. The XM-47s barely got scratched.

In addition to being tough, they seem really good in a few other ways on the trail: they air down very well and stay on the rim. They dig deep into whatever muskeg, mud, sand, loose dirt or whatever and will displace enough to get you out. The rubber compound isn't as sticky as the old Moab edition BFG's, but it seems like it is stickier than most. But it still manages to wear very well. I thought I'd burn through my first set in short order, which is why I got these, but that hasn't proven true.

1Eagle1

Hi,
I have a set of these tires originally purchased for my Unimog. Amazing tires! Perform very well on the road, and unparalleled off road. These are brand new, still have labels and whiskers on them, never mounted and always stored indoors. Original long-life tread compound, made in Spain (not Poland like some).

$4,800 plus shipping, or I can arrange to meet you somewhere near Portland, Oregon.

Are your tires still for sale? What is the new price for them? How old are they?

greiswig1

1Eagle1, yes, I still have these. If you can find a dealer who has these deep-lug, high-speed versions in the U.S., I believe they go for around $1,100 each plus freight.

New asking price is $4,200 for the set plus shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94