Josh's 2014 Xterra Pro 4x - guided by necessity

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Love these Xterra build threads!

1) They really start to look awesome once people put even mild mods into them.

2) This is one the best platforms out there for off-road project vics...simple, reliable, easy to modify.

And this is from a 4Runner owner... :Wow1:

I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment.

- John

Dalko43

Explorer
And this is from a 4Runner owner... :Wow1:

I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment.

- John

I came very close to becoming a Xterra owner myself, but the dealer I was negotiating with got on my nerves...still love them though! I was gunning for the 6 speed, but the dealers seemed to be putting a premium on them.

Dealer: "These 6 speeds are rare and are very sporty, so we price them accordingly."
Me: "Rare? I found like 5 new 6 speed Xterra's going for $3k under MSRP. Sporty? This is a body-on-frame truck, not a porsche."
Dealer: "Xterra will sell in 6 minutes if you don't commit to this price."
Me: "Okay then, thanks for your time."

I can' stand dealers....

Last edited:

seekerbeta

Observer
I came very close to becoming a Xterra owner myself, but the dealer I was negotiating with got on my nerves...still love them though! I was gunning for the 6 speed, but the dealers seemed to be putting a premium on them.

Dealer: "These 6 speeds are rare and are very sporty, so we price them accordingly."
Me: "Rare? I found like 5 new 6 speed Xterra's going for $3k under MSRP. Sporty? This is a body-on-frame truck, not a porsche."
Dealer: "Xterra will sell in 6 minutes if you don't commit to this price."
Me: "Okay then, thanks for your time."

I can' stand dealers....

same thing when i was looking, found one that had hit a pole, and the dealer still wanted to charge BlueBook Condition 1! i told him i wouldn't pay more that 9K (on a truck listed for 10) and i told them to pound sand, they called me again 2 weeks later, asking if i was still interested, i said i would entertain a number from them, and they said 11K! i told them to stop wasting my time.

jhberria

Adventurer
Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of folks have had poor experiences with Nissan dealers regarding Xterra purchases. Fortunately, I was able to go through the USAA car buying service with a certified dealer to get mine, some I got a no-hassle, good/great deal. Regardless, they really are a great value for what you get.

In other news, I'll be leaving for Plain, WA and the Northwest Overland Rally Friday morning! My wife's out of town, so I'll have to summon a previously untapped Viking strength from deep within my loins to get the Tepui on the roof of the X by myself. If no one hears from me by midday Friday, it means I was crushed by the roof top tent. Plan my funeral pyre, accordingly.

Dalko43

Explorer
Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of folks have had poor experiences with Nissan dealers regarding Xterra purchases. Fortunately, I was able to go through the USAA car buying service with a certified dealer to get mine, some I got a no-hassle, good/great deal. Regardless, they really are a great value for what you get.

In other news, I'll be leaving for Plain, WA and the Northwest Overland Rally Friday morning! My wife's out of town, so I'll have to summon a previously untapped Viking strength from deep within my loins to get the Tepui on the roof of the X by myself. If no one hears from me by midday Friday, it means I was crushed by the roof top tent. Plan my funeral pyre, accordingly.

Haha! The halls of Valhalla will have a mug of mead ready for you should you suffer that unfortunate fate...

But seriously, have a fun (and safe) time at the rally!

philndz

Adventurer
I just mounted my CVT Mt.Shasta to my Yakima crossbars this weekend ('15 Pro-4X) and realized the tent rails have the same 'spread' as the yak towers, so I have to offset the tent to the left or right. So the CVT brackets have to be on the outside of the towers on one side of the truck and the inside of the towers on the other side. Did you have this issue?

jhberria

Adventurer
I just mounted my CVT Mt.Shasta to my Yakima crossbars this weekend ('15 Pro-4X) and realized the tent rails have the same 'spread' as the yak towers, so I have to offset the tent to the left or right. So the CVT brackets have to be on the outside of the towers on one side of the truck and the inside of the towers on the other side. Did you have this issue?

Yes, I had the same issue. My solution: drill new holes for one of the mounting rails and offset it enough to be able to center both rails within the Yakima towers. If the CVT base is like the Tepui, there's a metal framework within the base that I had to locate in order to insure I was mounting the rail somewhere that would maintain the structural integrity of the tent. The manufacturer will likely discourage you from doing this, but I just couldn't deal with the tent being off centered when mounted on the truck. I've had it this way for a year, and no issues thus far.

I've been neglecting this thread of late, as I've been rotting in the Mojave desert for the past month (thanks, Uncle Sam!). I've got a whole slew of pictures to post, including more recent adventures on the Olympic Peninsula and the Northwest Overland Rally. Also, I've got a few changes in store for the xterra when I get back to Washington. Stay tuned!

Ripper

Adventurer
Ive been waiting to hear your AAR of the NW Overland Rally. You ever hear from Mick? The Mid Atlantic Overland Festival is coming up soon.

jhberria

Adventurer
Ive been waiting to hear your AAR of the NW Overland Rally. You ever hear from Mick? The Mid Atlantic Overland Festival is coming up soon.

What's up brother! Yeah, I plan on doing a short write up on the NWOR when I get home and aren't so busy. Talked to Mick the other day, in fact. Not sure if he plans on hitting the MAOF or not. I can PM you his cell if you so desire?

Ripper

Adventurer
Sure, I'll shoot him a text and see if I can coax him. If he doesnt make it, Im sure my liver will be thankful.......

jhberria

Adventurer
Just caught up on your thread and the latest 33's make the rig look great!

Stay cool out there in Mojave!

Thanks! Made it back to Washington on Sunday, thank jeebus. Staying cool out there was not an option, as daily temps reached 110-115.

Last edited:

jhberria

Adventurer
Well I thought I'd take the time to throw up some more recent pictures of my escapades now that I'm back in Washington.

Let us begin with my last off-highway venture in Arizona, for the sake of nostalgia.
I decided to check out the ghost town of Sunnyside on the south side of the Huachuca Mountains the weekend before I moved away from Arizona. The town was established in the later half of the 19th century by a religious leader looking to provide a refuge of "purity", a stark contrast from mining towns littered with brothels and saloons in this region of AZ at the time. The town was only accessible via remote, rocky forest service roads/trails, making for an interesting trek out.

As stated before, the following week I moved to The Pacific Northwest. Shortly after arriving, I took a trip out to Tahuya State Forest which is more or less and ORV park on the Olympic Peninsula. Nothing too challenging, but I bet it would be fun after some rain.

More to come.

jhberria

Adventurer
A couple weeks after moving to Wa, I attended the Northwest Overland Rally in Plain. This was my first venture into the Cascades, and it did not disappoint. The rally was the largest overland event I've attended to date (I've also attended the Vermont and Mid-Atlantic Overland events, for reference). It was entertaining, informative, and scenic......but above all, it was hot. I didn't take as many pictures as I should have, but here's a few in brevity.

Saturday morning, I participated in the intermediate trail run. Wreckdriver and I had cordially met the evening prior, and agreed to meet up in the morning just before the run in an act of Nissan solidarity. The trail was not challenging, save the final hill ascent to the terminal vista which nearly claimed a classic Yota and a rather impressive Porsche Cheyenne.

Last edited:

jhberria

Adventurer
Later that day, in an effort to escape the demoralizing triple digit temperatures, I ventured up into Wenatchee Forest solo.
I found this mountain creek fed by melting snow caps that I decided to bathe in. The water was likely in the 40s, a welcome relief from the unseasonal heat. It also offered me a chance to take respite in the solitude of the mountains. There are few greater joys in this life than wallowing in a remote mountain creek, alone, with no time hacks and no reminders of professional obligations.

I also opted to drive to the top of a ridge line to soak in some of the cascade valley views.

Ultimately, I had a great time and plan on attending the NWOR again next year. Also, It was a pleasure to have met another ExPo Nissan regular in Wreckdriver (Tom), and have the pleasure of laying eyes on his uber sweet Frontier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior