good kid sleeping bag?

84scrambler

Observer
i have a 3 and 5 year old already been once and i used a rectangle bag as a blanket and it worked ok, now we want to go more spring and fall so they need some thing more. i have seen the target and wall mart ones but they are for more like sleep overs, so i want to see what you guys are using, and if it matters we will be tent camping thanks james

4rundog

My daughter has a kelty bag. It has been flawless! She has never complained about being cold in it. My son has a eureka bag it is warm enough but we keep getting tares in the outside. Once it get a little tare it just keeps going. The kelty is far superior!

Honu

lost on the mainland
been using big agnes bags just keep looking for closeouts on any kids bags ? some also get grown up bags fold the end under

reason we like the big agnes they never rolled off the pads anymore :)

TXLX

Observer
I use adult Timber Creek 4lb bags for my kids, $15 each, 30°f bags. Seem to work fine, I've used them myself on solo tent trips.

Abe Froman

Adventurer
Rei, sierra trading post, the clymb, etc.
Anything from a good brand, on sale or closeout, should last as long as they fit in it.
The added bonus is that "real" camping sleeping bags stuff down small, and take up way less space than the bulky slumber party bags.
Name brand kid stuff is worth more when you sell it at the garage sale later.
We picked up a Kelly wobbie from sierra for our 2 year old for $17 after email discount extra 40% deal.
Same thing for sleeping pads.....good deal on a good brand.....doesn't matter if it is current model, etc.

mike the welder

Adventurer
I have 4 Army mummy bags that we used when my dad took us camping in the 70's and 80's. He took really good care of them and they are toasty. When my kids were small we folded them in half under the bag for more padding and when it was cold we folded them in half on top for more warmth. Then they got tall and they had to deal with it.

I would try REI, Cabellas, Basspro etc.

lam396

Adventurer
we have Slumberjack (a kelty brand) bags for our kids. They are the go-n-grow models rated for 30 degrees with an expandable foot box so that once they get older they can still use it. We have used this bag on nights that got into the 30's and my son didn't complain, or wake up at all. It might be a tad large for your 3 yr old but probably just perfect for your 5 yr old.

tarditi

Explorer
Like MikeW said - We use adult-sized mummy bags and fold them under for added padding.

I got a couple pairs on Woot and the bags are good for 45 degrees - they zip together too, if need be.

java

Expedition Leader
We have a Eureka kids sized mummy bag. Works much better for our daughter who moves around alot than the adult sized bag.

fj40_nut

Just make sure it's synthetic. We've used several brands and that's the main concern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Most of the common name brands offer kids size bags. If you go with a mummy style, make sure your kids are comfortable sleeping inside one - some kids need more room and/or are restless. For this reason a trip to an outdoor outfitter can make sense. My sons used Northface synthetic kids bags for years, picked-up at a Northface outlet.

Above all, make sure you get a decent sleeping pad to put under them!

skates04

Adventurer
My daughter has a kelty bag. It has been flawless! She has never complained about being cold in it. My son has a eureka bag it is warm enough but we keep getting tares in the outside. Once it get a little tare it just keeps going. The kelty is far superior!

My daughter has the Kelty as well...Only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't come in my size!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fowldarr

Explorer
I have two kid size Kelty bags that have survived three kids, working on the fourth, they show no signs of stopping

chuppie

Observer
I would suggest adult bags as well. The kids grow really fast and sleeping bags last a long time. Some of ours are over 20 years old. One possibility is to get yourselves news one and give the kids your old ones. With kids, machine washable is
always a plus. Coleman makes some great bags in the $40 price range on Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles