Bumpers with winch and light protection

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
98ebdefeae907014b619d2ce78f10e14.jpg
Not trying to slam this vehicle, but I have a question. I was wondering... Why I am seeing so many trucks with the winch and/or lights hanging out in front of the bumpers, exposed to so many hazards? I am new to the "overlanding" thing. (though I did a lot of overlanding with the Army) I'm more of a recreational off roader who likes to camp out of my truck. Could be my environment, but here in the Midwest we worry about banging off trees while on muddy trails in the woods. I'm saving for a winch to put in my new bumper, but it will go "in" and not "on" the bumper. Same for my lights. Those things are fragile compared to rocks and trees. Just wondering what some thoughts on the matter were.

armymgdude

Observer
I feel the same way. For me it was all budget. If I had more time and funds, I would have a better winch on a better bumper. As for the lights, I put them (fogs) in the lowest point I safely could, and they are behind the point of impact for the winch mount. I have to be hyper aware of my crappy approach angle and my extra foot sticking out front. I promise, it is not for show... the poser pic was for SAR recruiting.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I primarily play in the high desert. Trees are not really and issue. When I do play in the trees, they are big enough around here that you don't want to "bounce" off them. I have run a receiver mounted winch for well past a decade now and never had an issue where it was at risk...well once I guess I used it as a plow ;)

coastal616

Adventurer
The irony of receiver mount winches, is that it may be the part of your truck that requires you to use it when it gets hung up on something. Or if you run it in the bed of the truck, until you need it...nothing sounds less appealing than carrying an awkard 100lb thing through a mud hole followed by trying to find the mud covered receiver and electrical plug. If you don't venture far off road, I suppose they are fine, but then you hardly need one unless its for recovering others. The nice thing about them, is you can keep your winch clean and dry 5 days a week if you commute or just drive the truck around town.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
bumpers

some of these bumpers i see are just ridiculous, i think keeping things light and subtle are higher on my list than some of these 500lb boat anchor bumper that could survive the apocalypse but your frame would bend before they budged. i have my winch hidden behind my factory bumper, and the fairlead mount makes the factory steel bumper a bit more substantial. i hit a deer last yeay going about 65 and it did nothing but leave some hide on the fairlead. weight makes a huge difference offroad when the going gets tough.

armymgdude

Observer
I have been fairly happy with my approach angle with the mount I have. I hit the plastic under the bumper before I drag the winch mount crossing ditches. I thought long and hard about getting a reciever mount, but they are WAY too low on this truck and have the potential of hitting stuff I would miss otherwise. I like being able to deploy my winch quickly when I need it also. I have been driving offroad for 30 years, I have nothing to prove by destroying my truck. If this rig can't make it, I pull out my pack and walk.

r3run33

Adventurer
a lot of us "HAVE" to put the winch there because we use our vehicles as daily drivers and put the winch etc away and just use it for the trips. Can't have a winch sitting out for the criminals etc

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I'd rather have it and not need it on the trail than to need it and not have it. Receiver hitches are ok for occasional use, but I'd be constantly worried about some meth-tweaker stealing it.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have both a multi mount and a permanent mount winch on the same truck. And my Ramcharger will be the same way. Some times you got to go back. I think bumpers should be enough to get the job done with out adding 900 lbs and getting in the way.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
My Road Armor bumper is a big strong off road bumper, but not one of the super massive ones. I'm old and crippled now and I could lift it myself, so it has to be less than 200 lbs. Then again the winch (still months out) will add over another 100 lbs, but I plan on using synthetic line to help keep the weight off. My being old and cripple has a lot to do with that decision as well. I remember how heavy steel winch cable is from my Army days. I just feel better knowing I'll have my lights and winch protected. With a long truck I get into spots sometimes that are too tight for me, so I have to turn around and find another way. Turning around in the woods can be an 11 point turn sometimes. I'll pull as far forward as I can get until I bump up against a tree. Same goes backing up.

Umtaneum

Adventurer
I've had a receiver mount on my last 3 trucks. All CCLB F350's. This one, I finally got tired enough of shoving it into the mud on some ditch crossings that I had a custom receiver built and moved up into the hole through the stock bumper. My only regret is that necessitated removing the stock fog lamps. Now it's the fog lights that are too low, but I'd rather shove THEM in the mud once a year than my winch. The ability to yank that beast out backwards more than makes up for the slight exposure on the front. It also looks better, to my eye, than these massive aftermarket things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles