Most common things to break

mm58

Observer
2. Steel wire. Not electrical wire, so much as electric fence wire. Such useful stuff. In a pinch, I can even use it as a hose clamp.

Yes, an excellent thing to have on hand for certain ad hoc field repairs. I carry about a dozen wire coat hangers (cut and straightened out) just for such contingencies.

INSAYN

Adventurer
I drive a '97 Toyota Tacoma.

For off the beaten path trips, it's just basic tools, extra water, extra fuel, zipties, and duct tape.

Service the truck as needed to make sure the parts that are most likely to fail are up to snuff.
I have always run quality fuel, keep tire pressures in check, fluids happy and joints lubed.

srschick

Adventurer
I've done nothing more than weekend camping trips, but I've found that one of the most important items is not a tool or part, but a good inspection prior to taking off. a good flashlight, gloves, and dirty shirt/pants for about 30-60 minutes is all it takes.
Belts, hoses, engine compartment, suspension, filters, etc...

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Ah, wiring melting, yes. The vehicles I have owned that have caught fire :

Ford Crown Victoria : cruise control.

View attachment 249692

Are those all terrains on your Vic or just an optical illusion the melted rubber is playing? A little late to the party, but usually the only tire modifications I see adorning Crown Vic's are bald and usually wrapped around an obnoxiously large rim.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Don't forget the right sized tools.

And those steel wires have come in so handy that I began calling them "the magic wires" back in my long-distance motorcycle days.
BTW, you can cut out a workable main fuse for a CB750 from the ID tag on a telephone pole and get home. Make sure your pocket knife is sharp.

binrat

Observer
Don't forget the right sized tools.

And those steel wires have come in so handy that I began calling them "the magic wires" back in my long-distance motorcycle days.
BTW, you can cut out a workable main fuse for a CB750 from the ID tag on a telephone pole and get home. Make sure your pocket knife is sharp.
A must after I thought (at the time) I broke my friggin knuckles when the vice grips popped off of a nut I was trying to break loose. Still got the scar. :(

Clymber

Adventurer
break the bank with all the add ons we put on our rigs

knock on wood I haven't broke anything on trips YET but im sure whatever breaks will be whatever I don't have with me

TheGetLostTaco

We go places
Ah, wiring melting, yes. The vehicles I have owned that have caught fire :

Ford Crown Victoria : cruise control.
Superior Motorhome : brake light switch.
Ford Thunderbird : something near the master cylinder under the hood.
Rambler American : +12 V wire somehow tangled in the steering mechanism.
Chevy Sprint : catalytic converter

Yes I have had 5 cars catch fire, so am always looking for chaffed wires, compromised insulation, exposed contacts.
View attachment 249692

That is crazy amount of vehicle fire for one person! Someone has a voodoo doll of you!

98dango

Expedition Leader
I can honestly say only 1 time could I not drive home. I had a tree holding my axle in one time. I have used rachet strap to hold transmission in down and together.

F40

Adventurer
Axe handle, u-joints, shocks, XJ rear bumper mounts, coolant hoses.
538EB59D-E6BA-40AA-918E-DA71DF16D0B8_zpsup1dsvtl.gif

Kevin108

Explorer
I carried a number of parts in my XJ. I went a bit overboard, but I carried anything that could leave me dead in the water. The only thing I might have added was a spare alternator. I had:

Serpentine belt, crank position sensor, cam shaft position sensor, replacement battery terminal, a spare u-joint for my driveshafts, a spare u-joint for the front axle, the 36 mm (or whatever it was) socket to be able to pull the hub assembly, a spare starter, a 100w power inverter to run my soldering iron, solder, wire strippers, misc electrical connectors, a bunch of spare fuses and a couple spare relays.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Other than, fluids, hoses, belts, ujoints, drive shafts and the occasional axle (we , myself and the trail, are sometimes hard on a vehicle) I have had a relatively large number of high pressure fuel injection pump issues, on various vehicles. Since it is a potential show stopper; I now carry a spare, inline, fuel injection pump and enough high pressure fuel line to reach from the tank to the engine with enough wire to run the pump.
Off road (mostly for others) a welder has been useful enough that I bring a set of jumper cables (to connect 2 starting batteries in series), a stinger, welding rods and a set of goggles with a #10 lens, on the tougher trails/trips.

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94