Impassible When Wet

Topgun514

Adventurer
Well ExPo, I had some questions and major concerns this past weekend, but would like to get some help and discussion going for future needs possibly for my Frontier.

I was outside Zion NP this past weekend during the massive storms we had in Utah, and was hoping to see Redbull Rampage as well. As it turned out, my plans were foiled by the weather. Upon waking up at 3:30 am on top of Gooseberry Mesa, just outside the town of Rockville, I knew I was in for some exciting times. Inside of the RTT, I watched as the tent constantly was illuminated by flashing lightning, crackling the closer it got. Fearing electrocution and having to explain to my parents "I parked on a high point, opened a tent on top of my car, and burned to a crisp," I retreated towards the crew cab. A sleepless night meant morning grouchiness for all and the rain continued pounding the car. I knew we would need to leave this spot, as radar had a stronger storm coming in. We quickly closed camp and made our way off the deathtrap of a mesa, and the "fun" soon began...

Here is where my story begins it's post-worthy discussion.

Wet Rocks and washboard sand had enough grip for the Frontier on stock tires, but that "Desert Soap," wet clay, sticky stuff, really caused a quagmire. Passing a stuck AWD honda, and tacoma, I soon found myself sliding sideways. It should be noted I asked if the group needed a hand winch out/ quick tow, I would not leave anyone, but the stuck group was going to stick it out and wait out the storm. I continued on, my steering wheel useless and the truck going from washout to washout. I had little control if you could even consider what was happening "control." Further down the road, VDC turned off to continuously feather the pedal and try to clear the muck, I slide sideways again, this time, 15 yards from a brand new Land Rover (*I am proud of this moment, little frontier being more capable at the time). After feathering along in 4Lo, and them also stuck saying they will wait out the storm as well, I found some more solid footing and exited the DeathTrap Mesa. Near the bottom, the hail started on the washed out section down to the rocks.. For anyone that knows this area, this is the steepest part... I cringed as the back corner panels snuck by a jutting rock...scraping the water off the paint.

I was nervous, scared, and upset. The truck, while performed better than most, it performed in a manner poor enough. Coming from an 88 Jeep Cherokee (albeit with Duratracs) that would have eaten this track with a smile and empty stomach, I would have expected the new truck to be confident and inspiring. I am left wondering however, whether "older is better."

Not to be scared again, I am going above and beyond my duties and looking at new tires above the stock ones, but fear conditions like this may need more to create a secure feeling. Extra weight in the back? I was loaded down with gear but maybe a steel bumper could assist?

I know "impassible when wet" means exactly that, and my job gains me practice driving on roads like this, but I seriously need some help to outfit the truck for ALL conditions.

Will Cooper AT3's be the answer?
More weight in the back?
Max Trax?

Do I use my knowledge to never put myself in that situation again...YES. I will NEVER take something like this lightly again, and truthfully, put myself in that position to begin with. However, with a vehicle that I consider joining a SAR group with, I might need to be capable of going places like that again. And staying on the mesa and waiting it out made me nervous for my own safety in that storm. I also fear that my pickup will be rendered useless in snowstorms if that is the case in mud as well. If anyone has experience in wet, desert driving, I would love to hear how to make it better. I trust the Frontier will be the vehicle for me, but this shortcoming and danger I felt, not even pushing 4000 miles on the rig yet, gives me a pessimistic gut check.

Thanks for listening and I hope to get some help!

skibum315

Explorer
In that particular instance, I think your description evidences just how well the little Frontier actually did ... given how many vehicles (and which ones! ... ie: Tacoma & Land Rover) you passed who felt they could not continue the way you were. I am not nearly as experienced as some, but my opinion: Tires!!!

Stock Nissan tires (BFG Rugged Trails, at best, and BFG Long Trails or cheaper Generals, in other cases) are mediocre for low traction conditions, in the best of scenarios ... and in the hands of folks with limited driving experience or unfamiliarity with a new vehicle (I'm not saying that's where you were, mind you) can be downright dangerous. I'd say upgrade your tires and see what's what ... Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Duratracs, Cooper AT3s, even the ST-Maxx are all good ones to check out.

Glad you made it out of that situation unscathed, but I'm sorry to hear your confidence in the truck was shaken ... don't let it get you down, though, I'm still convinced that the Nissan F-Alpha trucks (Xterra, Frontier, Pathfinder, etc) are amongst the best all-around platforms out there. Recent assessments by Overland Int'l, not withstanding ... ;)

richard310

pew pew
I'd try looking into a slightly more aggressive AT tire with almost an MT tread. I assumed you were aired down with the stock tires? Even the case the OE tires aren't really meant for that kind of terrain. Something with larger tread blocks and adequate siping, similar to Cooper ST Max and/or Duratrac tread. No tire is going to be the best in all conditions. They will suffer in one specific condition or another.

Extra weight in the rear can be detrimental to the balance of your Frontier or any other vehicle in off camber situations. For example: maneuvering uphill may increase rear traction but the added weight in the rear can also decrease front tire traction and even put your truck face up in the air. In a perfect world, you'd want a good 50/50 weight distribution but we know that will never happen.

Just some things to consider. :)

I almost found myself in that same situation in Capitol Reef NP when the T-storms passed through a few weeks ago. I decided against it and camped in Arches to avoid the dangers. Of course there were signs posted 'Impassable When Wet' and I did call the ranger station to check conditions and they highly recommended not to take the road in.

Glad you got out safely and not get stuck like the others. It's half driver skill and half vehicle ability. Good job getting out but like you said: it could have been avoided all together, especially T-storms..

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Wish I could be that close to Rampage! Watched it live and man that event is sweet!

To your story though, I think the answer lies in tires. I'm always amazed going from stock to something more suited to the terrain does in any instance, on any car, on any surface. If you choose the right tire, it will do you wonders.

I'm also a fan (read love/hate here) of chains. While they are used for snow, I've seen them used for mud and they work quite well which could have been an option, but at the same time they are heavy and hardly get used. But that one time that you need them, you become thankful. Being in the NW, we get mostly mud and wet roots, and really the two things that stick out in my mind when I think of an upgrade are tires and armor for those two scenarios. As a last resort, I'd be looking at winch/maxtrax but don't have much experience with either, however I do like the idea of maxtrax for sure! Light and work in many spots.

java

Expedition Leader
If you made it past all of them, Im going to bet it was definately driver skill. OW tires are not really known for their off road grip. I think with a decent set of tires you will be amazed at the difference.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Signs like this?
One of the most detailed and accurate signs I have come across. :Wow1: Cut our moto group from 5 to 2. :bike_rider:
photo.jpg

Allof75

Pathfinder
Honestly that kind of issue is due to tire. If it's a stock frontier, your best factory tire on there is the Rugged Trail, which is definitely not designed for rugged trails, they slip, slide, and generally flop all over themselves into the nearest ditch, I've seen it one too many times.

My suggestions are: recovery strap, new tires, and if you're freaked out enough about it, MaxTrax.

Tires: Cooper A/T3s, Goodyear Duratracs, Cooper STT Maxxs, the new BFG AT KO2s, and honestly my Toyo Open Country AT-IIs are my suggestions. There's some more and less aggressive tires in there, but none of them should do you wrong.

fortel

Adventurer
x2 on all of the above. I can't wait to be able to afford to get the Long Trails off my Frontier and put a more appropriate AT tire on.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Chains, higher end ATs, and instead of spending hundreds on maxtrax, build your own out of oak 2x4s with nuts and bolts drilled through(toss em in a sack after use). I love my forester, but my frontier was FAR more capable, and I will always hate myself for selling it after I left the Navy.

Topgun514

Adventurer
I think tires are next for sure. I have a mostly full set up on recovery- ropes, shackles, 8K Hand Winch. Tires, F/R bumpers will be next too at this point I am guessing (Aluminum front, steel rear to keep a good balance of things)

I will now begin the terrible mental debate of which tire to get.

Redranger90

Resident Stuped Hillbilly
I went from the rugged fails to the at/3 as well on my xterra. Made an extremely noticeable difference in "less than ideal" conditions, and still a decent tire for the road. Though I would recommend the ones rated for a higher speed if you do any highway driving

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
If you want to stick with an at the bfg's hold up for a long time and provide good traction there in your area.

Maybe toss in a rear locker if you want even more traction. In a truck they help a lot and don't create the 'on pavement' handling issues like a jeep gets.

libarata

Expedition Leader
If you want to stick with an at the bfg's hold up for a long time and provide good traction there in your area.

Maybe toss in a rear locker if you want even more traction. In a truck they help a lot and don't create the 'on pavement' handling issues like a jeep gets.

If he has a Nismo/Pro4x he ought to have a locking rear already.

2014 Warthog

Explorer
Yow, scary :(

I just barely got out of Moab before the rains hit, but did have to drive through them on the 70 and 15 on the way home. I was SO glad I was not out on the trail during that epic downpour.

I think the others have got it right, and that reminds me that if I am going to be out with the threat of rain while far from a road, a set of chains might be a good thing to have along in places with mud like Utah has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94