SOG bags at walmart

PirateB

Shopping for groceries at wally world today this caught my eye,and for $20 I couldn't resist. Plan to use this as a tool/roadside/emergency/recovery bag. They also had a few different back packs and such that I'll probably pick up as well. Some camo patterns, tan,and I even saw a digital camo pattern. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Seems of good quality and I believe it will hold up well, especially since it will live in the truck most of the time. The pouch it comes in ought to be perfect for jumper cables or something.

ny2egyra.jpg

jeje9u8u.jpg

Last edited:

doug720

Expedition Leader
FYI, many products sold at discounters such as WalMart, HomeDepot, etc., are different than a manufacturers standard line.

For example, some WalMart tires are unique models that only they sell, and are built to a lower standard, same goes for many products.

Not saying all manufacturers are like that, but besides buying in volume, large retailers demand prices that some manufacturers can't meet and keep the same quality, so they make discount retailer only items.

I called SOG today and spoke to Wholesale sales. They confirmed the SOG gear WalMart sells is not the same as their standard gear. It is made with lower grade materials and by a outside vendor.

Take a look at the sizes and weights of products sold "Discount Retailers", you will see the difference there too.

My FIL sold items to most of the large retailers, and when you know to look, it surprising the differences!

Not bashing the product or WalMart, just saying to compare what you buy.

Last edited:

PirateB

It was back in sporting goods, yes. They had an entire shelf of SOG brand bags/packs.

As far as quality, sure its probably made to a lower standard..it is being sold at Walmart after all. However, I've got mine loaded with about 60lbs and it seems plenty sturdy....should hold up fine for light/medium duty. And it was only 20 bucks!

coop74

Old Camping Dude
FYI, many products sold at discounters such as WalMart, HomeDepot, etc., are different than a manufacturers standard line.

For example, some WalMart tires are unique models that only they sell, and are built to a lower standard, same goes for many products.

Not saying all manufacturers are like that, but besides buying in volume, large retailers demand prices that some manufacturers can't meet and keep the same quality, so they make discount retailer only items.

I called SOG today and spoke to Wholesale sales. They confirmed the SOG gear WalMart sells is not the same as their standard gear. It is made with lower grade materials and by a outside vendor.

Take a look at the sizes and weights of products sold "Discount Retailers", you will see the difference there too.

My FIL sold items to most of the large retailers, and when you know to look, it surprising the differences!

Not bashing the product or WalMart, just saying to compare what you buy.

What did you expect them to say? Nope that is the same stuff we sell to you for a fortune more.

Back in the day a textile company I worked for sold the identical rug to JC Penny's and Walmart. There were only two differences (not counting your price). The JC Penny item was available in more colors, many of which never sold (they thought of themselves as a fashion driven store) and the Label that was put on the rugs just moments before it shipped. Out of one box came both rugs, when they filled orders for Walmart it had a Wallyworld label and when they filled JCP orders it had a Penny's label that was about 5-6 cents more expensive (the label cost).

Just putting forward some first hand facts...

Last edited:

coop74

Old Camping Dude
BTW, that is not to say we did not make some items that were spec'd down for Wall Mart. Mtg for large retail chains is tricky business if you have a brand to protect but feel the need to chance a lot of doorfronts.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

jhill15

Explorer
Pretty sweet bag, should make a good recovery or first aid bag. I like that it comes in a pouch, so you get a little extra bag for the $$$. I will have to check em out.
Good little find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier