Ford Expedition as an "Expedition" Vehicle?

dgi

Searching for info on using my Expedition for Expeditions is about as difficult as it could be haha

I dont plan on doing much serious off roading, but I do enjoy going off the beaten path from time to time. Would like to take my family on some explorations with some decent comfort. I've seen that larger tires can be fitted using many different 3/2 leveling kits that are already on the market.

Ideally I was planning on selling my 2006 Expedition XLT for a 100 Series truck (arguably more reliable) or an Expedition (considerably more space and could have cheaper running costs than the TLC) but since I've had my Expedition for the past 3 years and it "only" has 122K miles as of this morning, knowing much of its history and maintenance makes me lean towards holding onto it until I find its limits.

Has it been done? Any links? Tips/tricks?

Any info would be useful.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Expeditions are not that common for an expedition vehicle. They don't have very much aftermarket support and the companies that do supply aftermarket aren't that great of companies. There arent any Ford Expedition specific companies like there is for Toyota (i.e. Allpro, slee, etc).

Its pretty inconvenient because I have a 98 F150 and finding anything aftermarket for them is fairly difficult and when you do, they are expensive.

When you say a "100 series truck" do you mean an F150 or a 100 series land cruiser? If you were talking about a 100 series LC then I'd say go with that. Most likely you will be able to find a decent one with some aftermarket mods already done to it.

Good luck.

dgi

I meant a 100 series Land Cruiser.

The lack of aftermarket support is a bummer with the Expedition...

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
The lack of aftermarket support for most Ford 4x4's of the 97-03 models is really sad. I am not putting a lot of money into my truck just so I have that much extra for when I do buy a good expedition vehicle. I've owned my truck for 8 years and its a total PITA when it comes to aftermarket.

My advice; Get a 100 series LC. If you break something or have questions you can find it very easily on the internet and aftermarket support is everywhere....and they look pretty sweet.

Riptide

Explorer
For me, it's hard to say. I had an Expedition, and sold it to buy a 100. I'm a "off the beaten path" type as well, and I haven't done anything in my LC that my Expedition couldn't have handled with ease. But that's just me. (I sold the Expedition because it had 180K on it, I wore the tranny out towing a huge boat, and it was starting to rust out in the bottoms of the doors from being left outside all the time. It didn't owe me a thing. I never felt much love for the truck, but it was totally reliable).

So many people think one needs an LC to go adventuring. And then you see a thread about a guy that goes damn near around the world in a Mercedes wagon, and you realize that the vehicle is nowhere near as important as the desire. (Of course, if you're really just looking for something sexy to hang a bunch of expensive goodies on it, like most of us, well, spring the LC.)

SInce you already have and know your Ford, I would vote to stay with that. But only you can answer that for sure; none of us can.

CYK

Adventurer
Heck as a 200 series owner, though there are great vendors like icon and Slee supporting it, compared to the 100 and 80, i doubt aftermarket options will ever get to their levels due to the low volume sales in the USA. Toyota priced them out of the hands of the $50k buyer into the luxury realm at $80+.

I don't want to imagine what it's like trying to outfit the big e w/ *quality* parts.

No thanks. The ecosystem is so important. Else you feel a bit left out in the cold. :)

Raul B

Explorer
i would stick to what you already have. ill have to find him but there is a guy on here with a pretty nice expedition all set up. I wish my wifes expedition was 4wd.

6gun

I had a '98 Expedition and absolutely loved it! Factory L/S, 285/75/16 Kuhmo AT's, running boards removed, custom mounted hidden winch, and KC's on the bumper. It would go anywhere, blend in anywhere and was very comfy with a full size mattress in the back.

Only reason to get rid of it was gas mileage. 12MPG!! Uphill, downhill, loaded, unloaded it didn't care.

My Ranger is a great little truck but I do miss the EXPie!

escadventure

Adventurer
I'm in the same boat with a 2000 F150. Less aftermarket support than most other common vehicles. But I'm not going mod crazy, so the only thing I've wanted and is just not available is a snorkel. Even that is only marginally needed.
So far haven't had the least bit of regret over my choice to use it for overlanding. Especially since there are other reasons why I specifically wanted that model truck.

The LC is a better vehicle for sure but there is a good agrument for 'using what you've got'. The Expie is a nice truck too. You wouldn't be the first to use it like that.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
land cruiser hands down. I'm a big blue oval guy, but that expedition will not take care of you like a toyota will when you start pushing its limits. the only thing that ford makes currently that would be good for an expedition based vehicle would be the raptor or the super duty - both are quite large and expensive.

Tuff

I've got an 03 Expedition 4x4 with a 3/2 lift and run 35x12.50 tires on it. It takes me everywhere I want to go. I live in Utah where terrain is abundant and challenging. My Expy has 160k + on it now and requires little maintenance and replacement parts have never been a problem. I say enjoy what you have and wear it out with pride. Scratch it up, add some character, create some memories.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Depends on what you want to do with it. The Expedition will go almost anywhere you would want to go, but if you are going rock crawling or very tight woods trails the Expedition would struggle.

WSS

Rock Stacker
Love our 01' XLT sport 4x4! Tows like an animal, yes it is poor mpg, but it will pass everything but the gas station. It has 180k now and runs like it did new. We maintain it well but other than that we drive it every day and tow at least once a month, it has done at least 12 1k mile trips towing either our Jeep or our 26' travel trailer, probably towed for at least 40k of it's life. I don't want to get rid of it. We need the 4x4 due to the jobs we are on, so 4wd gets used at least once a week, sometimes in lo.

Here she is in Ludlow off the 40fwy headed to the Grand Canyon/Williams/Sedona, all nice and clean, no red dirt (yet)

lets see how long till someone spots the flaw in the pic.

trailer%20queen_zps78edug0r.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles