Thinking of an Asus Memo Pad ME176C 7" or ME181C 8"; anyone using one?

robgendreau

Explorer
I need a new phone, and thankfully the Apple 6+ isn't for me. So I figure with the money I save ($200) I'll keep existing phone, and buy a wifi tablet instead. The logic here is that I need to store maps for offline use, some music and video, and photos. It finally frustrated me that it's so difficult to move stuff around, and with the 6+ not even capable of loading big photo files off my SD cards, well time to use the phone for phoney stuff and a tablet for photo storage, etc.

The 7-8" tablets I looked at work fine, and I'm going with one of these over say a Nexus 7 or Galaxy due to cost, and because I don't care about the screen quality difference. And I want something I can abuse.

The MeMO Pads have micro USB and microSD slots, so I can move files around. And, oddly, the 7" Pad has a compass; the 8" doesn't. Both have GPS/GLONASS. The 8" has better cameras, which is kinda meh for me. I can't quite decide whether the compass and smaller size is better than a somewhat bigger screen. I have a laptop and whatnot for use in camp, so I tend to think the smaller would be better, but I dunno.

Suggestions?

Rob

robgendreau

Explorer
Now thinking instead of a galaxy tab pro 8.4.

I had not considered it because it was outta my price range, but Best Buy is now selling these for $250US. Still above my budget a bit, but I figure if I really like it I might be able to use it was my go to tablet for everything, instead of a more compromised tablet like the ones I've mentioned. The big diff is the screen. Also storage, ac wifi, IR, a bunch of stuff. I guess they're selling them out because it's discontinued in favor of a new one with the AMOLED screen (which is even more amazing).

luk4mud

Explorer
I have way too much $ invested in tablets, GPS devices and sw. Everything I have tried seems to be buggy or just plain not work at times ... could be the user?

All to say, it would have been alot cheaper if I had just bought an ipad mini from the start. The 3G version (which you never have to activate) has a built in GPS, so no more bluetooth to a dual or other box, avoids those issues. Runs lots of good sw including my 3 main choices- scenic maps west, delorme and benchmark. It holds a massive amount of maps internally, so no issues with a card.

And it doubles as my book reader, email, internet acces etc device as well.

So its best feature so far is that ... it works.

robgendreau

Explorer
Yeah, I've got an iPad. Unfortunately, for some stuff it just doesn't work. Like copying to SD cards. And there are some Android apps that aren't available on iOS (like the APRS setup detailed elsewhere here).

I finally went with the Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 wifi. It was sorta outta my budget, but now I'm thinking that rather than supplementing my iPad it may replace it. And at $250 (they're discontinued (discountinued? I just typo'd that but maybe it should be a word) at Best Buy, and they throw in $25 credit at Google Play and some other stuff like 50GB at Dropbox).

Unlike the Apple Minis, the wifi versions have GPS/GLONASS. And 80011.ac wifi (both 2.4 and 5 ghz). And a comparable, if not better, screen. And most importantly for me, a microSD slot for up to 64GB and an OTG capable micro USB 2.0 slot. Makes it really easy for me to copy and backup photos out in the boonies. I could copy TO the iPad, but it's nearly full, and it can't write to another card.

At this point many of the apps I love on my iPad are on Android, and I get access to some other stuff I couldn't with the iPad. Like a bluetooth GPS I have.

I'm also finding I like the 8" way better than the bigger iPad. I dunno why I didn't get a Mini at the time, but with the better screens you just hold it a big closer. And they weigh less and are easier to handle and store.

I'll try to remember to post more as I use it more often.

Rob

worthingtontw

Observer
I'm not using either of those models but I have an Asus ME301T which is pretty closely related. I've had it for about a year now and it does everything I ask of it generally without issue. My only real complaint is that Asus doesn't have the aftermarket support Samsung or Nexus products have particularly in regards to RAM type mounts, hard cases, and screen protectors.

App wise I run TopoMaps pro with Spotify pro in the background for music. TopoMaps has a great offline map archive which can be loaded to a micro sd card to prevent bloating up the internal storage and slowing it down. Back Country Navigator seems to be a favorite around here but I didn't like the layout. If you wanted to use an external bluetooth GPS receiver though, Back Country is the app to use.

Regarding screen size, I tried a 7" screen and found it a bit difficult to operate when bouncing down a trail and went with a 10" screen. Also the added real estate is nice for viewing maps.

One last piece of advice. Often times on android devices (particularly Samsung products) a lot of bloatware can be found that makes everything look and sound pretty, but slows them down. Being open source architecture, you can download scripts that will remove all of the unneeded apps and will drastically increase performance (don't bother with "performance enhancing" apps).

Edit: Also I'd skip any of the sim card equipped devices. If you need internet, just tether to your phone (No charge under At&t's latest plans).

Last edited:

robgendreau

Explorer
Yeah, I agree about SIM card enabled tablets. I'm out of cell range frequently anyway, and it seems (at least when on camping trips) that when I get to cell reception in a town there's free wifi somewhere.

I can't do tethering with my ATT plan though, but don't feel sorry for me: I'm still on unlimited data. But with texting and tethering, I'm getting close to jumping off. Wish they had that data-doubling promo for plans down in the 2-4GB range.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would buy anything asus. Been using their products since the early 90's and never had an issue. Their new tablets/phones/devices are top notch. Very well designed. I am on a asus vivotab rt now and its a great unit.

Texan1983

Adventurer
think im going to try the same thing... looking at the asus 7" on amazon right now for $79 bucks and free shipping. then add an Bluetooth receiver...

pretty cheap gps setup if you ask me that should work a lot better than other dedicated GPS units.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am hunting a smaller tablet as my acer 10" needs a big honkin bracket to be stable. I have one more setup that I want to try for mounting to keep it stable. If that don't work, I will probably get the 8" asus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier