N.A.R.V. - 2008 Chevy Express AWD Project

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
I've lurked long enough....the other Chev/GMC AWD projects on here were just too much temptation. I just got back home with my new project. 2008 Chevy Express AWD, Passenger, w/74k. It was a gov't fleet vehicle. Other than I few small scratches and broken interior clips, it is mint.

My first trip was a 1400 mile test drive, back from to Florida from Stillwater, OK. I can honestly say, it is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever had for highway driving. The arm rests are perfectly placed, plenty of leg room, quite inside, very nice audio system. I drove over 15 hrs in one day with no discomfort; something I cannot say about any of my other vehicles.

I've yet to come up with an "official" name yet, but my friends/family so far likes my idea of naming it N.A.R.V (Not A Rape Van). So that'll do for now.

First plan of action is new wheels and tires and a luggage rack for the ski box. I'm likely going with 265/70/17s like others have. We will be keeping it configurable as an 8 passenger, for group ski trips, but I plan on engineering a bed platform in the back that will extend forward when the 3rd row is removed. I'm also going to integrate some storage and a sub/amp into the bed platform supports. I have an idea in my head, I just need to get it on paper. I'll update this thread when I do.

2014-09-27 16.19.01.jpg

Do any other have suggestions for a low profile luggage rack for these vans? I was considering looking into an OEM rack from a suburban or equiv. It seams like everything that mounts to the gutters, sits high on the roof.

Last edited:

cobra_4

Observer
Awesome ride!!! Shame they didnt make more of them! Cant wait to see it done up!

Sent from my iPhone powered by my Coyote 5.0

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
I just picked up the Thule mounts, with locks, and 65" crossbars for $100 on Craigslist. Works perfectly with my box. Thanks for the advice.
2014-10-05 18.59.44.jpg

Now on to my next project... Bed support/Subwoofer/storage. Here is my sketchup for the right side. I'm planning on have a 3 piece removable platform to support a full bed. Two of the bed support pieces will have legs allowing it them to be used for tables outside the van.
2014-10-05_214718.jpg

Last edited:

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
Finished the first phase of the built-in/bed platform.

Started by ripping out all of the lower plastic pieces from the rear. We trimmed one for reuse, and salvaged the insulation from the rest and glued onto the exterior panels.

4dF2Kwc.jpg

sf6LgTd.jpg

Built the right/passenger side. It includes a 1.1cf sealed enclosure for a 8" subwoofer, a huge storage compartment, and an amp area with enough clearance to get to the factory jack. The holes you see are below the downward facing sub for sound.
Uo3CLat.jpg

For the left/driver side, it was tricky building around the rear AC and integrating it into the existing plastic near the 2nd bench seat. While you don't see it in these pictures, this side has holes like the right side, but instead of sound, this one is for the rear AC intake.
sQ4FfjO.jpg

s6ixxsy.jpg

Finished off the installation with custom fit carpet, cup holders, USB/12v outlets and lids for the storage.
3S6caxB.jpg

SiibDhO.jpg

The next phase is the bed supports. These will screw into these built-ins. The bed platform itself will consist of three separate 24" sections, each removable, to support a full bed. The forward most section will be stowed when the 2nd bench seat is in place. I have something very unique planned for each of the sections, to allow multiple purpose uses. While at Ikea yesterday, I picked up these handy bins that fit perfectly.
ffja4JF.jpg

It is slowly coming together.

Next Up: Finishing the bed platform. Likely plastidip the wheels. Speakers/Amps. Lift kit.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
Drilled pilot holes in the metal side supports, then ran sections of metal strapping from the wood to the metal supports. Each side has 3 or 4 straps...and they are not going to budge.

After they are mounted, I attached the carpeted false top (with lids, cup holders, etc) to the built in with nails. This finishes it off nicely and hides everything. The false top is easily removed if need be.

This is the same way I used to build and attach speaker boxes to cars when I had a car audio shop (in the early 90s).

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
Finished the back 2/3 of the bed platform today. My goal was to build the platform in such a way that it would function as a passenger, cargo, and camper van.
7DZiI7J.jpg

LT3iF3l.jpg

This part of the bed platform meets up with the back of the 2nd bench seat. It is two separate removable pieces, each 50"x24".
1qn8EaZ.jpg

JNbxAgR.jpg

ePG7YcO.jpg

This allows quite a bit of flexibility when traveling for storage space. I can use one, two, ...
L3tLPCb.jpg

Or complete removable for carrying cargo. The space between the sides is 50", so plywood will still fit laying flat.
zpMWFqZ.jpg

The final, 1/3 (forward-most) of the bed platform (to be built), will be freestanding table-like platform and butt up to these. It will be used when the rear seat is removed. It will built so that it can be used as a table both inside and outside of the van.

The full air bed, bedding and pump all reside in the right side storage built into the vertical support structures.

NEXT:
Bed/Table Platform - I'm still brainstorming on the legs for this.
Privacy Curtains - My wife is currently working on these. Each panel will have a black/stealth exterior and a colorful/cheerful interior. She is sewing small magnets into their hems, which will match up to mini magnets stuck to the windows of the van. These too will stow in the side storage.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Looks good, I have the same van, but still all stock.

Are you going to lift it?

I'm planning on a minimal 2" with rear sway bar and better shocks. probably just the spacers in the rear vs. new leafs. Although new leafs could yield some extra capacity?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior