Reinforcing camper tie down points??

UOMO SENZA NOME

Hello Expedition Portal!

I recently obtained a 1984 Lance 400 camper. I am completely new to hard-side campers, and RV's in general. My truck was also not equipped to properly tie down the camper. I had two of the stake-mount tie-downs from the previous owner that I used to haul the camper home. They seemed to let the camper move quite a bit relative to the cab, and I really didn't think putting the load on the sheet metal bed was a good idea. So I welded up two frame mounts out of 1/4" wall stock, and bolted them to the frame with 1/2" grade 8 bolts and 1/4" backer plates. This radically improved handling.

But now, the "weak" link is the factroy mounts in the camper. They seem very weak and poorly enginered to me. It looks like a 3" strap of metal with 2 screws in it holding it to the underlying wood frame. I was thinking of running a 2"x2"x3/16" piece of angle iron down the full length of each rail where the factory mounts are. Spread the load out, and stop the tie-downs from effectively pulling the camper apart.

Any input on this idea or experince on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, I'm also fabing up spring dampers to install inline with the tie-downs. :chef:

image.jpgimage(2).jpgimage(1).jpg

Last edited:

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
With all of the length that you have in the tie downs, I would check out the high tensile wire springs that they have a tractor supply. You do not want a rigid tie down. Also put centering guides in the truck bed. That will take 90% of the movement out of the camper .

UOMO SENZA NOME

Thanks. Like I said, I'm just about done building a set of enclosed spring dampers. But what wrong with the length? This seems standard on any truck with frame camper mounts??

The centering guides are a good idea. I should give some clarification when I said "moved around"; not moving in the bed, but I could see the bed flexing and letting the camper "lean" in relation to the attitude of the frame.

orangeTJ

Explorer
That's about how long mine are.

I'm using a product that has in internal spring - Torklift Fastguns. They are the cat's meow for camper tiedowns, but they aren't cheap.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I find that the Fastguns do not have enough length to the springs. I think at least an inch is needed for offroading. fastguns do not have that much play.

UOMO SENZA NOME

I find that the Fastguns do not have enough length to the springs. I think at least an inch is needed for offroading. fastguns do not have that much play.
Yes, I wont be running those. Way too pricy, too fancy, and too much a one-trick-pony.

I built some captured springs to install in-line with the chains.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Regards to off-pavement travel, I merely unbuckle mine and go slow. In the event I see a pretty large torsion twister coming up I remove altogether. This takes the stress off the camper itself and the truck bed. If it gets worse, I try looking at alternative routes, or go with plan B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94