RTT heat

I know this topic has been covered before but, my requires it to be warm in our ten so here is what I came up with for our last trip.... it wasn't too cold this time but we have a trip up north at the end of October that will be chilly so I wanted to test it out. It was in the low 40's in the morning and this setup worked great. And It cost me about $25 bucks. I used a Coleman furnace that I got for free out of a scrapped pop-up. I used a thermostat in the tent. And don't worry I also used a carbon monoxide detector.....just in case. It kept us toasty warm all night.

Yeah I can really imagine camping in cool weather without it now. It makes my wife much more comfortable......and that leads to good things for me ;)

Septu

Explorer
Yeah I can really imagine camping in cool weather without it now. It makes my wife much more comfortable......and that leads to good things for me ;)

The only thing I'd hate about having a heater in my tent... is I'd never want to actually get up in the morning...

chuppie

Observer
Great idea.
Can I make a suggestion? Move it out from under the tent or extend the exhaust to vent away from the tent. It is still venting C0 out the exhaust and the C0 is lighter then air and tends to rise. C0 detectors don't always work.

Regards

yeah I thought the same thing....I have a long piece of ss flex exhaust that I run a few feet away from the tent. I also leave the window halfway open on my side of the tent just in case. I would never forgive myself if something happened to my family because of a stupid mistake.

I thought about that but with the mattress and bedding I think It would end up getting blocked and the person on that side would get all the heat. I know it seems kinda ghetto but zipping it through the back window is quick and easy and gives everyone equal heat.

grogie

Like to Camp
The only thing I'd hate about having a heater in my tent... is I'd never want to actually get up in the morning...

That's true. Cold weather drives me out in the morning to make hot coffee.

But still... cool, or I mean hot idea!

85hinuff

I went earlier this month. Temps dropped to the 40's at night not too cold, but tried ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414115477.359128.jpgthis and lined the inside roof top with an emergency blanket to hold the heat in. We ended up getting HOT! Ran the heater on the lowest setting, unzipped one of the windows a bit. Very comfortable. Used a fan to circulate the air in the top while the heater was in the annex on the ground. Very pleased with the set up.

stingray1300

Explorer
Great ingenuity!
May I offer an alternative? *Buy a better sleeping bag*. I'm not trying to stir anything up here, but...
My wife is a real freeze-bug. She's got to have 30# of blankets on her if the temps get below 70º it seems like. So, have a gander at the 2 pics I've attached and think it over. The wife was toasty warm in our Alps Mountaineering 15º double bag. Yah, hard to get out in the morning, but we slept just fine and toasty in out Tepui.
Camp site along the Denali Highway:
DSC_0142 - Copy.jpg
My wife bought this souvenir in Tok: (note the temp)
DSC_0157 - Copy.jpg

No muss, no fuss, no fuel, no danger from CO or anything else (especially a complaining wife :wings:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94