Tow Hitch for Gen 2.5? What do you have?

Apex174

I recently acquired a 1999 Montero and will need a tow hitch and maybe a trailer brake. Plan to pull a small travel trailer (like an R-Pod) one day and utilize the hitch for other things like a bike rack and cargo tray also. I have seen both with just the 4 bolts that install to replace the tow hook and also know of the ones that bolt on to the bottom frame. I'd like to see and find out what you guys have and recommend. - Thanks!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I recently removed my factory receiver that bolts to the frame on our 98 and will just be using the 4 bolt hitch from now on, did it mostly to gain clearance. We pulled the off road trailer on 2 separate trips recently and had no issues but it only weighs about 1400 pounds and has about 100 pounds of tongue weight. If you plan to tow over 2000 pounds I would definitely stick with the receiver that bolts to the frame, we have a Chevy diesel for towing heavy stuff so removing the one off the Montero wasn't an issue. If you want my old receiver let me know, it's still in pretty nice condition and is just collecting dust.

dorifto-san

Creeper
I had the 4 bolt hitch on my 89' Raider and it worked just fine for what I used it for. If your Montero didn't already come with the towing package from the factory, remember you will also need a trailer wiring kit, and if towing heavier loads, I would also recommend adding an external transmission cooler. I am actually looking for another 4 bolt hitch for my 98' gen 2.5, junkyards sell them for $12 around here! :wings:

raider1.jpg

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I had the 4 bolt hitch on my 89' Raider and it worked just fine for what I used it for. If your Montero didn't already come with the towing package from the factory, remember you will also need a trailer wiring kit, and if towing heavier loads, I would also recommend adding an external transmission cooler. I am actually looking for another 4 bolt hitch for my 98' gen 2.5, junkyards sell them for $12 around here! :wings:

View attachment 249628

I have 2 extras in the garage, let me know if you strike out locally. FYI, the 4 bolt gen one fits the gen two as well.

dorifto-san

Creeper
I have 2 extras in the garage, let me know if you strike out locally. FYI, the 4 bolt gen one fits the gen two as well.

Yup! I pulled my old 4 bolt hitch off a 94' LS and it ligned up perfectly on my Raider. I found one at the junkyard a couple weeks ago but it was way too rusty to trust. If I can't find one soon I might have to take you up on that offer, I appreciate it!

Apex174

I recently removed my factory receiver that bolts to the frame on our 98 and will just be using the 4 bolt hitch from now on, did it mostly to gain clearance. We pulled the off road trailer on 2 separate trips recently and had no issues but it only weighs about 1400 pounds and has about 100 pounds of tongue weight. If you plan to tow over 2000 pounds I would definitely stick with the receiver that bolts to the frame, we have a Chevy diesel for towing heavy stuff so removing the one off the Montero wasn't an issue. If you want my old receiver let me know, it's still in pretty nice condition and is just collecting dust.

I've seen this kind, bolts to the frame and also to the 4 bolts. Does your hitch look like this? Pics are not mine, got them from Craigslist.

Attachments

• hitch montero.jpg
    hitch montero.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 83
  • hitch montero 2.jpg
    hitch montero 2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 83

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I've seen this kind, bolts to the frame and also to the 4 bolts. Does your hitch look like this? Pics are not mine, got them from Craigslist.

That is exactly what I removed, uses bolts to the frame and 4 bolts to the center as seen in the pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles