Sportsmobile private toilet?

cjscott

Looking for a few smaller motorhome we came across the Sportsmobile and think they are the coolest things we have ever seen. Really like the 4 x 4 the best, however, I need a private toilet and a hot shower. So my question, do they have the option or has anyone added an enclosed toilet. I don't care what kind of toilet, but having a toilet pull out from the under the seat without any privacy is not gonna work. I don't care if it's not a tall enclosure and I have to duck down, or whatever. Would be traveling with myself and hubbie. Same with shower, it has to be at least in the rig, not outdoor. Also, I'm looking for a thread that shows pics of people's Sportsmobiles, particularly like 4WD ones but like looking at all, also showing the inside. Thanks for any help with this! :sombrero:

yfarm

Observer
I owned a 2002 Sportsmobile that had a wet shower toilet combo behind the drivers seat, it took up a lot of space in a van. It was nice having the toilet never used the shower. Had hot water heater on opposite side under sink. Knew grey water tank was full when it backed up into shower tub.

hoser

Explorer
As seen here....

toilet08.jpg

http://www.sportsmobile.com/1_std-eb-plans.html

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
If you don't need a full shower-bath, you can also ask Sportsmobile about including space in a cabinet for a porta potti or other cassette toilet.

7iGgXDRl.jpg

I transport mine between the front seats. The platform you see it sitting on goes over the top during travel to help strap it down and it doubles as a center console (I have a rubbermaid caddy that sits on top to provide tall cupholders plus organization for my Ham HT, etc. If I had a westy-style layout, I'd love to have a cabinet I could slide it into during the daytime.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Both of our SMB's we've owned came with porta-potty's. There's quite a few different options for shower, but most popular for diesels is the engine heat exchanger.

robgendreau

Explorer
I'd say that since it's a big priority you'd wanna go with a Sprinter size at least. I think they've installed the combo shower/head (they're used on boats too) in a regular van, but it monopolizes a lot of space and can sort of, um, dominate the inside. Not to mention that on a rainy winter day a couple of showers can make the inside quite wet. OTOH, even a camper on a truck has this problem to a certain extent. Good luck. Try looking at www.sportsmobileforum.com as well.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
In a van, in my opinion, it's best to give over the rear couple of feet to the lavatory.

I like the way it's done on the Adventure Trek van. I'd post an image, but their photo gallery is all screwed up.

http://www.advanturetrek.com/tag/build/

Here's a good setup on a Sprinter:

file.php

I have seen pics of a Sportsmobile sprinter setup with a rear bath similar to the one above, but can't find them now. I have no doubt they could do it though, even on a standard van platform.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I bought mine used, so I didn't have anything to do with the design, but mine is a more or less standard "camper van" layout. I'm 6'4" and the corner shower is too small for me. I just open up the back doors (like in the pic below), string a tarp between them and stand behind the van to shower. The shower head easily reaches outside.

Since I never actually use the shower pan, I built a wooden cover for it, so I can stow hoses and other sloppy stuff in the shower pan, and have a nice 2' x 2.5' flat storage area. I added a few tie-downs as well, so when I have stuff stowed on top of the platform, I can bungee cord it all down nice and tight.

Also the legroom while sitting on the toilet is tight. Toilet to the side facing toward the center, shower in the center would be a hellova lot better layout.

attachment.php

There is just a heavy curtain (you can see it just past the toilet) that slides around to privatize the area, but I've stared at that space and it would be possible to put a door there instead. I generally travel alone, so I don't bother, but when traveling with my (adult) son, one of us will kick back outside while the other uses the throne.

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 586

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
In that pic I posted of the sprinter, I would have turned the toilet to face center and cut a hole in the side of the truck for the toilet cassette access.

Legroom is important.

[EDIT: Also note the sliding door on the sprinter. THAT is nifty.]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke