Nokia Here maps coming to Android

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/30/nokia-here-maps-android/

The "Here" map and navigation service from Nokia is a hit on Windows Phone devices. Nokia now says Here is coming to Samsung Galaxy devices in October, and other Android phones later this year.

Overland travelers will be happy to learn that Here has an offline mode. You can download maps for specific states, countries, even all of North America or Europe, and use them without a connection to the Internet.

Here has maps for 95 countries on six continents. The link below is to Here.com's city and country list for Windows Phones. Note that it's not clear what set of countries Here for Android will have, or how much it might cost to expand the set of maps.

http://here.com/help/wp8/drive/coverage

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Interesting. I hope "Galaxy devices" includes my Tab4; that would be a nice addition as I'm still trying to find an offline-capable street navigation app I like.

TLC Norway

I'm gonna try it out...
But for now, I've been using CoPilot around Scandinavia.
I really liked it, after getting used to the interface.
A better for on my nexus 7 tab.
Spent some time putting in waypoints before takeoff, made things that much easier.
Also hooked it up to my cell when entering cities or just to check if there's road work, then it shined with giving new routes.
When leaving the pavement, i use Backcountry Navigator.
Then both apps work offline, and with plenty of information.

Sent via mobile magic.

Darwin

Explorer
I am using Here maps on a sony xperia z3 compact. I really like the offline navigation, and I store the maps downloaded on the 128 gb SD card.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am using Here on my nokia 1020, I am not sure how the android app works, but on windows, its more accurate and up to date than my garmin GPS unit. We spent a week using it this past fall traveling around Nova Scotia and Montreal with 100 percent accuracy. There were some new road work in Montreal that wasn't on it but other than that flawless. That being said, the road work was for like a few days and just had you detour'ed.

nater

Adventurer
Just tried it on a 1200 mile trip. Worked great, and the navigator (aka wife) liked the interface. I think it will be our new go to for on road navigation.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yeah, Its awesome. I am really thinking of getting monterra GPS so I can run HERE maps on my motorcycle. The monterra is the android based garmin unit that has me intrigued for motorcycle use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94