Adding Vacuum insulated panels to my waeco fridge

susswein

Observer
I picked up a few cheap Vacuum insulated panels at an auction and would like to use them to add an extra layer of insulation to my waeco portable fridge in order to reduce the power consumption. The panels themselves are 1" thick and rated at R40. I'd like some feedback to see if my idea makes any sense.

Since these panels are 14"x14" and can't be cut, I'm thinking that I'd glue them on the outside of the cooler, covering as much of the surface area as possible, then filling in the gaps with regular foam insulation board. I'd then seal all the seams between the panels, and cover the whole thing with a layer of reflectix or something similar. Obviously, I wouldn't cover the vents or the side of the cooler where the compressor resides.

Any ideas on whether this would work reasonably efficiently, and how much it would reduce the fridge's electric power consumption?

Gatsma

Adventurer
I can't see why it would not work. Once done, the only "weak" spot would be the door seal, and if it's very efficient, it can only be better than before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles