Comprehensive PLB and Messenger Test:

kpredator

Adventurer
scott

do you know of anyone who has used a INREACH in southern,eastern africa?

cant get any answers on 4x4 forum .za

just want to make sure it works before making the purchase

thanks
kevin

kpredator

Adventurer
inreach

thanks

I knew it was iridum based,should work fine,but would still like to talk to someone that has actually used one in ,say the central kalahari.
would like to know the speed,connectivity.how well the texting works.

Matt_OCENS

Observer
thanks

I knew it was iridum based,should work fine,but would still like to talk to someone that has actually used one in ,say the central kalahari.
would like to know the speed,connectivity.how well the texting works.

Unless you are measuring in milliseconds, you are not going to notice a relative difference in "speeds" in different parts of the world because these use "Short Burst Data" which is a universal Iridium small packet data platform and these packets are all handled the same. Furthermore, the satellites are in constant motion so your location is not a constant variable since the satellites are moving.

In a nutshell, you are not going to notice a performance difference on an inReach in relation to your location--your coverage is all relative to your exposure to the satellites, in other words, how much of an unobstructed view to the sky you have.

JohnGalt

I've been doing a lot of reading on these. I believe the article in the Original Post (OP) is a good start. I'd add the recommendation to read/review these as well:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Personal-Locator-Beacon-Reviews
http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/acr-mcmurdo-personal-locator-beacon-comparison-review/

It should be noted that there is SARLink View (part of the article in the OP) and also a AquaLink View; both are water-resistant while the AquaLink is buoyant (can buy a bouyancy sleeve for the SarLink View)

From everything I read it seems to me, and for me:
- If you want to get saved, get the ACR (higher wattage output, more GPS channels, no subscription req'd, you are registered with NOAA so they know who they're SAR'g, etc)
- If you hope to get saved, and 2-way messaging is critical for your needs, get the DeLorme

Right now, I'm of the opinion that an ACR PLB + an HT I already carry (usually there's some repeater I can manage to hit) provides a combination that does what I need.......but still reading and trying to figure it all out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94