M416 for my CJ7

matt8828

Hey guys, I picked up my M416 last year and have been using it for household duties such as firewood and mulch runs. I brought it out of storage this past weekend and plan on building it out for camping and hauling a canoe and kayak. I still want to be able to use it for things around the house so I will be building it accordingly.

Here is a pic of when I brought it home.
f3d1dea95480755e11bd13e22f729cd0.jpg

Here is my Jeep, it's a 83' CJ7 with a 304. I built a new rear bumper and carrier for it. I bought a Metalcloak front bumper.
cfc2eb389158d8adb30797d7cf3fcbfd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt8828

Today I unbolted the fenders and tub to get ready to lift off when I can get a buddy over to help. I am planning on extending the tongue with box tubing and reusing the cast pointless section.

I also finished the majority of the fab on the rear swingout for the camp burner and grill. I got the idea from a member here and made it with a few of my own ideas.
fd656ba23b917c9d6feed6c2acc8691f.jpg
3738c952219e24e87861d519e433620a.jpg
feecca37be1fbd22a611365ff1c2c2bf.jpg
4805add8b39c03aff5fbd03e3bcc9bac.jpg

I will add either aluminium or steel sheets to cover the shelves and then finish up the grinding and welding. Also need to get a spring latch to lock it in the open position for cooking while camping.

matt8828

My plans are to make a rack for the canoe/kayak that is removable and adjustable up and down. Still trying to work through it in my mind, but my first thought was to create some sleeves/pockets inside the upper portion of the tub and then the rack can slide into those.

Anyone done anything like that with theirs?

brian90744

American Trekker
boat rack??

I added 4 pocket to my M416 and extended the tongue by 19" =brian

Attachments

• stand off 1.jpg
    stand off 1.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 46
  • stand off 2.jpg
    stand off 2.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 46
  • ready 4 heculiner 1.jpg
    ready 4 heculiner 1.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 45
  • M416 frt.jpg
    M416 frt.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Hitch Tongue extent 6.jpg
    Hitch Tongue extent 6.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Hitch Tongue extent 3.jpg
    Hitch Tongue extent 3.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Hitch Tongue extent 1.jpg
    Hitch Tongue extent 1.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 46

croix

Observer
That swing-out shelf is brilliant! I am absolutely going to steal this idea. Do you have any more detail on how you hinged the shelves? Doesn't look like a piano hinge. Also, how do you latch it shut to keep it from swinging open going down the road? I can't wait to see this as a finished product.

-croix

matt8828

Thanks for the pics Brian, I think I've seen your set up before for extending the tongue. I am going to do the exact same thing.

matt8828

Croix, I just bought two hinges from the big box store and welded them on. The swing out is latched with a De Sta Co clamp I had laying around. Actually I need to get a different one with a safety lock. This one concerns me as I feel it may come undone going down the road.
dd703a4c531984289665df44414cc31c.jpg
d4baa8ef398062e5cf6581305845ad26.jpg
0eac476c6240e2bc76b43e3faecc7a9c.jpg
8b63984ce5492259304e056b1933403d.jpg

croix

Observer
Thanks for the follow up Matt - especially the added pictures. Just what I was looking for. I will need to move my taillights to make this happen, but I don't have room in my trailer for a slide out kitchen and since my beds come out the sides I kind of need something at the back. This is a clever solution.

-croix

brian90744

American Trekker
Matt .
you have to remove the front drain and weld a plate over the hole. The drain is on top of the new side rail. just FYI=brian

UOTE=matt8828;1678768]Thanks for the pics Brian, I think I've seen your set up before for extending the tongue. I am going to do the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

matt8828

Thanks Brian, I had seen that in another thread. Any special tricks or tips on removing it? Or just cut it out? Did you reuse yours or just go with the one in the back only?

Matt .
you have to remove the front drain and weld a plate over the hole. The drain is on top of the new side rail. just FYI=brian

UOTE=matt8828;1678768]Thanks for the pics Brian, I think I've seen your set up before for extending the tongue. I am going to do the exact same thing.

[/QUOTE]

brian90744

American Trekker
I just cut a 2" square hole and welded a 16Gage plate over the hole. I'm just using the rear drain only.
brian

matt8828

Did a little work today.

I started to mount the Trac Rac that I bought off of CL the other day. Not to difficult, just used some 1 1/2" angle iron. I'll be using the rack for my canoe and kayak.

I also continued to work on my swing out cook station. I wanted to add a light source for cooking in the evenings. I welded up some box tubing and created a removable holder for my Coleman Lantern.

Heading to Land Between the Lakes in late March, so I look to have it ready by then.

51b26a67ef13b38ee5c92d847ecfe7c9.jpg

a8077ba15f531a01ab4c35c18cdb8fd8.jpg

scramfan01

Adventurer
Kentucky, M-416, and a CJ.

Love your swing-out rack! I've been thinking about doing something like that on mine. I also live in central KY, have a M-416, and pull it with a CJ. I built it last year (actually both the trailer and the CJ 8) to go to the Overland Expo in Scottsdale AZ. Both performed flawlessly. I am headed to LBL in June. I might go sooner too. Do you ever go to Red River Gorge? What are your other plans for your trailer?

matt8828

Love your swing-out rack! I've been thinking about doing something like that on mine. I also live in central KY, have a M-416, and pull it with a CJ. I built it last year (actually both the trailer and the CJ 8) to go to the Overland Expo in Scottsdale AZ. Both performed flawlessly. I am headed to LBL in June. I might go sooner too. Do you ever go to Red River Gorge? What are your other plans for your trailer?

I try and go to the gorge at least once a year, but it's usually a backpacking trip. Im going to use the trailer to haul my canoe and my buddies kayak for fishing. We fish on the Elkhorn a lot during the summer and try and take a couple of camping trips too. We are going to LBL and Dale Hollow this year. I actually sold my CJ last month and bought a Grand Cherokee. So it will be the tow vehicle now.

scramfan01

Adventurer
My buddies and I also use our trailers to haul our kayaks. That was a really nice CJ. Sorry to hear that you sold it. I understand doing what is best for you though. I've been thinking about putting together a build thread on my trailer. Keep up posted on yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke