need help deciding on buying a 07 Forester

Ghostwolf

I currently have a 2000 chevy tahoe gas hog rust bucket that needs to be gotten rid of. My wife and I are interested in getting a Subaru Forester or a 4 door wrangler. Currently funds are not in place for a wrangler but we did find a used 2007 Subaru Forester 2.5X that has 112,000 miles on it. We are going in to look at it tomorrow and I wanted to try and get some input before heading in. A brief background on vehicle usage in our house hold, we use our vehicles to go camping, fishing, backpacking, hunting, canoeing, and exploring. PLEASE let me know what to look for or if I should stay away from this due to mileage.

machine1

Explorer
At that mileage, there are three concerns I would look into...

1. Has the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and idler pulley been replaced yet? Timing belt interval is 105,000 miles.

2. Have the headgaskets been replaced yet? It is a common problem with late 2000s model Forester to have leaking head gaskets. If they haven't been replace there's a good chance you will have to.

3. Are the wheel bearings making noise?

If none of these items have been attended to, run away. Or be prepared to spend a few thousand more dollars and deem all Subarus piles of excrement.

They make great trail vehicles for all your outdoor purposes.

DSC_0062 by Puzzles Photography, on Flickr

DSCN2438 by jasplund91, on Flickr

DSC_0330 by Puzzles Photography, on Flickr

These are all the Forester generations, SF, SG, SH, and SJ left to right:

DSC_0185 by machinecrewchief, on Flickr

They changed the front end for the 2006-2008 models, I don't have any pictures of those.

Last edited:

Applejack

Explorer
While certainly there have been some head gasket issues on the cars in the late 2000's most of the issues were pre-2003. Allegedly cars manufactured in late 2003 for the 2004 model year and up got the improved head gaskets but this was not a cure all. Subaru's are fantastic cars but are a bit finicky when it comes to maintenance. One are often over looked is the flushing of the cooling system, and using a subaru approved coolant plus their conditioner. Horizontally opposed engines don't allow the fluids to fully drain away from heads, when the coolant is old it becomes more acidic and begins to slowly compromise the gasket material. The newer improved gaskets hold up better, yet are not impervious to neglect. Some say though they were diligent about service and maintenance they still had HG issues, but I would add that every and model of any car will have had its share of HG issues. I've owned 8 subaru's now with only one one them having ever suffered a bad HG.
Anyhow they are great economical daily driver cars with surprising off road abilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier