Idaho and Montana 1700 Miles Later

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
The front of the tall building that you see in the first photo on the right hand side.

The third floor and the Common Quarters.

Security Cell building. Just up the road from this building is the old schoolhouse and one building that are on private property.

Miscellaneous photos.

The BLM is currently working on stabilizing these structures.

Old mining equipment and an old structure.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
After tooling around the town for a while and checking out the old buildings I returned to my vehicle to grab lunch and then to head out to my next destination for the day Granite, Montana. The quickest way I found to return to the interstate was to continue on the road that bought me into the Garnet then down Bear Gulch road and onto I-90 Frontage Road. The little section of the road isn’t as well maintained as the road that bought me but still wouldn’t pose too much of a problem for a passenger car. My initial plan was to stay on a dirt/gravel road till I reach Hwy 1 but both my GPS and topo map lied to me as the road I was hoping to take was nowhere to be found. So it was back on the tarmac.

Just out of Philipsbrg, Montana lies the ghost town of Granite, Montana kind of out in the middle of nowhere and kind of negelacted as it’s not maintained by the BLM like Garnet. The road back was a narrow dirt road that wounded up the road that again was passenger car friendly expect for in bad weather. After a short drive along up the mountain I was there.

Information on Granite, Montna: http://stateparks.mt.gov/granite-ghost-town/

The remains of the only bank in the town.

Miner’s Union Hall

Mae Werning House

Superintendents House

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
The view of Mills ‘A’ and ‘B’

The remains of the Mining Office.

More of mills ‘A’ and ‘B’ and the ‘Ruby Shaft’

The view from the 3rd level of the area.

I don’t see mill ‘A’ lasting too much longer as the one support is cracked in half and could easily fall down.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
I had originally planned to travel along the forest service road back and around Fred Burr Lake then down to Red Lion city and ultimately back to highway but due to issue with my front shock and steering rack I opted not to.

The last structure on my way back out.

After having my fill of Granite I had a choice to make do I stop and camp for the night at one of the campgrounds that surround Lake George or do I continue on to Butt and find a hotel for the night. Needless, to say I opted for the hotel after camping for a few days I figured a night in a hotel wouldn’t be so bad. That night was probable the worst night sleep I had on the entire trip I would’ve rather slept on the ground than on the hotel bed it was that uncomfortable. The following morning marked that end of my trip as I would back to Utah to unwind and get everything packed and cleaned up for my move to Colorado.

Overall, I traveled roughly 1700 miles and hiked around 50 miles. :Wow1: If I make a return to Glacier I hope to try and make the hike from the south end to north end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior