New Build

Distraction

Hi all,
New member to the portal
I have found this to be a great site with truckloads of great info.
I'm just into my rebuild and construction of my 2006 FG. For cape York next year.
Pics to be posted soon.
I interested in knowing if any one has tried a front disc brake modification?

Cheers
Peter

Gatsma

Adventurer
I'll be watching this thread closely.....
What do you have in mind for the construction of the "box"?
Which mods do you plan on so far?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi all,
New member to the portal
I have found this to be a great site with truckloads of great info.
I'm just into my rebuild and construction of my 2006 FG. For cape York next year.
Pics to be posted soon.
I interested in knowing if any one has tried a front disc brake modification?

Cheers
Peter

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum. Is that your crewcab I see sometimes parked around in Rene Street?

I have never heard of anyone doing a disc brake conversion on any model Canter. If you live around here then you probably get up the North Shore and Fraser a lot like me...... drums are certainly preferred over discs for trucks being beach used on the beach.

Regards John.

Last edited:

Gatsma

Adventurer
I thought I knew that town from someone else on this forum. Small world, huh? At least you guys can compare notes face-to-face if so desired. Cool!

Distraction

Hey John, Gatsma

no I'm out at Doonan and mines a basic white single cab chassis at the moment,
Will be fabricating rear deck for a slip on style camper next week.
Just painting the chassis and corrosion proofing with dynol currently.
Mods will be singles and a winch at this stage.
May look at airbags for the front suspension
Looking forward to getting down the north shore fishing / Surfing.
May just leave the brakes standard as the beach is very close

Cheers
Peter

Gatsma

Adventurer
Thanks Peter! Sorry for the location mixup; just saw both you and John located in/around Noosa but have no idea how much area that encompasses. I've got a lot to learn about Australia!
Unless you already know this, you might want to stay connected w/John @ All Terrain Warriors. I, and many others on this forum, have learned a lot from his posts here. He knows what it takes to build a GOOD off-road truck, be it Fuso FG or otherwise. You've found a good spot!
And cheers to you!

Gary

Distraction

Hey Gary

No you were right I'm only about 12 mins drive to Noosa.
So looking forward to catching up with the local FG action soon.
Also after more consideration looking im at lockers or LSD for the FG as well,
The list keeps growing.

Peter

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hey John, Gatsma

no I'm out at Doonan and mines a basic white single cab chassis at the moment,
Will be fabricating rear deck for a slip on style camper next week.
Just painting the chassis and corrosion proofing with dynol currently.
Mods will be singles and a winch at this stage.
May look at airbags for the front suspension
Looking forward to getting down the north shore fishing / Surfing.
May just leave the brakes standard as the beach is very close

Cheers
Peter

Yeah, cool. I pass through Doonan almost every day. Should drop in and say gidday.

Actually I thought you were another Peter I know that lives up at Teewah with an FG84 single cab.

If you are mainly planning beach work......definitely, definitely go the singles but save your money from the winch and just grab 2 pairs of Maxtracks. You won't need more than that up there..........and as you've probably read, ATW also has good suspension and ATB front diff if it's in the budget.

Do you need any other bits to get the truck on the road? Let me know......There a good parts shop up at Cooroy that carries a lot stock for the bus companies that run the Canters on the beach.

Regards John

Hey, thanks for the comments Gary.

Regards

Gatsma

Adventurer
Hey Peter-
Yeah, I can now see you're going to be good and properly hooked on this whole concept! ;-)
Might want to call John for an ATW catalog, unless you've done so.
Looking forward to reading more about your build!
Remember to take and post gobs of pix, and you will make many extremely joyous!

Cheers!

Gary

P.S. You're quite welcome, John! I meant what I said- You're a great source of knowledge for all of us here due to all your experience building the great variety of trucks that the widely different forms of Australian terrain demand. Yours is truly a unique and interesting country! Gonna have to visit sometime!

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Also after more consideration looking im at lockers or LSD for the FG as well
I doubt you will find any lockers for the FG diffs, but you can get an ATB centre for the front diff. Both ATW and Alan sell these. The standard LSD in the rear is pretty good, so you probably don't need to look at any upgrades at that end.

Distraction

Staggered or flat tray?

I'm looking for the pros and cons regarding attaching the tray flat on the chassis with a step up
Or elevating the tray on mounts 190mm and then having a flat tray right to the back of the cab.

I have plenty of experience fabricating, so construction is not an issue.

Your thoughts from the FG gurus please

Peter

Gatsma

Adventurer
I'm no FG guru, but your decision on either flat or stepped tray would seem to depend on what you might have in mind for what will go on top of it; unless you're still wide open in that area of concern.
I'm guessing you first want to know which is the stronger setup of trays.
If so, then- Hey John (@ATW), Skifreak (Owen), Gait, your advice is called for here!

Distraction

Im just curious to know if the chassis would be less prone to cracks with one of those two options.
im considering leaving the existing dual spare wheel carrier behind the cab.
Petes Fuso.jpgDistraction.jpg

Attachments

• Petes Sand toy.rtfd.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Petes Sand toy.rtfd.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 1

Gatsma

Adventurer
How much room to the rear of the cab does the carrier take? If almost to the frame step, your tray configuration question will answer itself. It's a safe place for spare wheels, as long as it's reasonably accessible with the tray installed.
I notice one pic has a rectangular fuel tank on the right-side of the truck, the other with a cylindrical one on the left-side. Which is the final configuration? The right-side one appears larger.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
How long is a piece of string???
The subframe being stepped or flat is not really the issue if you are concerned about the truck chassis developing cracks. It's how the subframe and chassis are connected which is important.
There are many threads on here about the pros and cons of different mounting methods, but how you decide to do this really comes down to what type of box you are putting on the back and how heavy it is.
I chose to use a straight subframe for numerous reasons, but that does not necessarily make it the "best" way to do it. It was just what worked for me and the design I wanted to use.

As difficult as it might be, you really have to know the big picture before you can concentrate on the finer details.
Whether or not you keep the spare wheels where they are is a typical example of this. Are you interested in having a pass-thru? If so then the answer would obviously be no. Will having the wheels there affect the camper body design adversely? With the camper body in place, how easy will it be to access the spare wheels? And I could go on (but I won't).

It's your baby and the design is totally your choice. All I can really suggest is browsing through the numerous posts here in this forum and see what might work for you, and what won't. In my experience, the planning takes considerably longer than the actual manufacturing. Making stuff is the simple bit... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles