BFG TA/KO2 sizing and release dates...

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
That 34x10.50 is interesting alright. Wish it was a 35x10.50....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FastGlass

Adventurer
My build (I just posted my intro and goals yesterday) is going to be used quite a bit over sand in the summer, with various New England overlanding early spring through late fall. Thinking the 12.5" width will be helpful when aired down on the sand...I can throw the stock rubi wheel set on in the winter. The 34 height seems to be a nice fit for expedition type use...along with this new tread pattern and rubber compound...

kayadog

Adventurer
I think the 34X10.50 would be great in the sand aired down. I rented an JKU on Nantucket with 225/75r16 tires and it had no issues in deep dry sand.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It seems BFG is actually listening to its consumers, folks have been on them about more offerings in the tall and skinny category for awhile. They have had 33x10.50 and 33x9.50 offerings for awhile, but nothing taller and narrow. The only other company that comes to mind who makes a 34x10.50 or 35x10.50 is Interco with the Swamper lineup, but those are too aggressive and expensive for most of our needs.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Wonder how it will perform on snow/ice compared to a GY Duratrac...:coffee:

They both exceed the standards set to earn the "mountain & snowflake" snow tire logo, unlike most similar tires against which they both compete. I won't buy another tire that doesn't meet the "mountain and snowflake" rating.

The only thing I find disappointing with this new version of the tire is that they've shaved 1/32 to 2/32 off of it compared to its predecessor. Whereas the KO had 16/32 to 17/32 tread depth, the KO2 is only 15/32. To put that in perspective, most of the Cooper-manufactured All-Terrain tires (Cooper, ******** Cepek, Mickey Thompson, etc.) have 18/32 tread.

Last edited:

Jurfie

Adventurer
They both exceed the standards set to earn the "mountain & snowflake" snow tire logo, unlike most similar tires against which they both compete.

Ah yes, I forgot that the "mountain and snowflake" logo is not the same as M+S. Because the MT/R with Kevlar has the M+S logo, but are terrible in packed snow/ice. Duratracs are leaps and bounds better in that regard, so I'm excited to hear how these new KO2s perform! Too bad the size I want is not available until the spring. :(

EDIT:

The only thing I find disappointing with this new version of the tire is that they've shaved 1/32 to 2/32 off of it compared to its predecessor. Whereas the KO had 16/32 to 17/32 tread depth, the KO2 is only 15/32. To put that in perspective, most of the Cooper-manufactured All-Terrain tires (Cooper, ******** Cepek, Mickey Thompson, etc.) have 18/32 tread.

Yeah, that's disappointing. The softer tire compound will already wear out faster...the Duratracs are 18/32 as well.

Last edited:

NMRubicon

Observer
Happy to see the new sizes, I like the thought of a 34" when I replace the stock BFG M/T. I will be replacing with a tire that performs better on packed snowy roads, like the Duratracs, but as sharp as the rocks are around New Mexico, I'm afraid to lose too many, the M/Ts handle the rocks really well, they just chunk.

FastGlass

Adventurer
Well, apparently true to their past releases, the sizes for BFG offerings continue to not really be true to stated sizes. Here is a 37" TA/KO2 pre production being "tested" in upstate New York. Link to article follows if interested. Hard to tell for sure from a picture with high flares, but sure looks to me like you'd need to go 37" to get a 35" tire. Has me wondering what the purported 34x10.5 one is actually going to wind up being.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/a...-out-a-new-bfgoodrich-off-road-tire.html?_r=0

image.jpg

Reboot11133

Observer
Well, apparently true to their past releases, the sizes for BFG offerings continue to not really be true to stated sizes. Here is a 37" TA/KO2 pre production being "tested" in upstate New York. Link to article follows if interested. Hard to tell for sure from a picture with high flares, but sure looks to me like you'd need to go 37" to get a 35" tire. Has me wondering what the purported 34x10.5 one is actually going to wind up being.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/a...-out-a-new-bfgoodrich-off-road-tire.html?_r=0

View attachment 256396

The dimensions for specific sizes can be found on their site. I just ordered a set of 315 75-16 for my LJR. They are 34.5" tall.
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/size/315/75/16/OE/BNW/all-terrain-t-a-ko2/tire-details
The 34-10.5-17 is actually 33.5" tall

Last edited:

FastGlass

Adventurer
The dimensions for specific sizes can be found on their site. I just ordered a set of 315 75-16 for my LJR. They are 34.5" tall.
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/size/315/75/16/OE/BNW/all-terrain-t-a-ko2/tire-details
The 34-10.5-17 is actually 33.5" tall

I'd be completely happy with them being that close. It just seems that once placed on a loaded jeep, they seem to size (other BFG's...not sure about these) 1"- 1.5" smaller with the weight on them. Not overly concerned. Just you're paying to get a "X" size tire...hopefully for more than looks...
In my case, I'd like to get the break over angle of my JKUR up much higher...even at the loss of a low cog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94