Looking for Good Street Legal Off-Road Bike Options

702krawler

Adventurer
I've decided to take the plunge into the world of motorcycles. I just signed up for a basic motorcycle safety course, and am beginning the research for my first bike.

My main use of the bike will be off-road. Half of the time I'll likely haul it on a receiver mount on the back of my off-road teardrop (longer trips), or ride it out of the garage and onto the trails for day trips (or one or two night trips with camping gear). So I need it to be light (so it can be safely hauled on a receiver mount), and street legal (for the times when it isn't on the trailer).

My research to date has pointed me toward a KTM EXC-F 350. It is fairly light (less than 250 pounds), very off-road oriented, but still street legal. I also like the KLR650, but at over 400 pounds, I'm not sure it's as suitable for off-road use, and I'm also concerned that it would not haul well on a receiver mount carrier.

What other bikes am I missing? The KTM is definitely not cheap, so I'd be happy to find just as suitable cheaper options. For reference, I'm 6'1", about 185 lbs, if that helps narrow suggestions a bit.

zelatore

Explorer
I recently acquired a KLR.

I wish it was a KTM!

The KLR isn't really an off road bike. It's a street bike that can be ridden off road with good success. There's a big difference. You noticed the weight, but beyond that the power delivery is very soft as is the suspension. On the plus side, it will cruise at 80 on the interstate. But don't kid yourself that it's anything like a KTM or other street legal dirt bike. If you had said you want to spend multiple days and cover thousands of miles of pavement or backroads and still be able to do some single track I might point you to the KLR. But it sounds like you want the opposite.

Not as nice as the KTMs, but the Yamaha WR400 (older) or the current WR250 are options. Big Red and Big Green also have options in the 250 class I believe. Not sure what Husky has currently, though for a while they were doing an interesting 600-ish bike (forget the name)

702krawler

Adventurer
Until you mentioned it, I had no idea Husqvarna built motorcycles (told you I'm new to this). They do have a model called the FE 350 S that appears to be fairly similar to the KTM EXC-F 350 I mentioned above. I guess KTM actually owns Husqvarna, which explains the similarities. Other than colors, I really can't discern much of a difference. Perhaps it will come down to which dealer I like better?

fowldarr

Explorer
Check out the new ducati scramblers on the homepage, look more road oriented, but....

Also the drz-400

zelatore

Explorer
Ah DRZ400 - that's what I was trying to remember. Heck, my brother rides one fercrhrisakes...

The new Duck looks great, but based on the OP's description it's waaay too much of a street bike. Even more than the KLR. The Triumph Scrambler is another cool option in that category, though the new Duck spanks it in almost every category. But again, these are clearly street bikes that COULD be ridden off-road. Yeah, there are videos of guys out there jumping Scramblers, but there are also plenty of stories of broken rear subframes and shock mounts from such treatment. Again, it and the Duck are cool, retro, fun-to-ride, and novice friendly, but they are street bikes.

Of course the real answer is you will need multiple bikes. Any rider will tell you that. You'll need a dirt bike for trail work. A sport bike (I prefer a naked) for playing in the twisties. A sport-tourer for longer range work. A cruiser for relaxed bumming around with the wife. The list goes on...

702krawler

Adventurer
I looked at the Suzuki, and I think it is an option, but I'm leaning away from it mostly due to its additional weight. I'm sure you're right about wanting multiple bikes, eventually. For now, I'll start with a dirt bike that can be ridden on road.

Gearspoke

Adventurer
CRF or a WRX or even a KTM, long as you have a plate then it would be great. You want something less than 300 pounds for dual sporting! Hope this helps! :)

96Delica

Adventurer
Is this your very first bike? If so, get something in the 250cc range. It will be much easier to handle and WHEN you drop it, it won't be a beast to pick up. Glad to see you're taking a course! Stick with something small until you get to grips with riding, what matters is that you're opening a door to the best mode of travel there is! Plus, depending on where you live, insurance can be insane for new riders. Good luck!!

702krawler

Adventurer
Yes, this will be my first bike. I'm looking to keep the weight under 300 lbs. I've also been told to consider the Yamaha WR250R. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with that bike?

millerfish

Adventurer
If you can find one the Kawasaki Sherpa (KL250) is a great all around trail type bike. 250cc and under 300lbs and air cooled...

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
How tall are you?

The reason I ask is that the KTM has a seat height of 38". As a new rider, that seat height may be a bigger intimidation than the weight. If you're a fair bit over 6', it may not be a huge issue and you can enjoy the low weight of the KTM. But if you're under 6', you might actually find the 300lb KLX250 (35" seat height) or even a CRF250 (<35") to be a bit more rideable than the 240lb KTM. And it may be some time before you will be able to fully take advantage of what the KTM offers.

We all want to buy the "right" bike, but sometimes the "right" bike with no experience and the "right" bike after a season or two are quite different.

drcoopster

Adventurer
What you write makes you seem like a brand new rider. Although the KTM 350 EXC is technically street legal, it's a no-compromises premium enduro bike with a maintenance schedule and parts prices to match. Luggage capacity is minimal. While a KLR650, DR650, or BMW G650GS may indeed be too big and heavy for the off-road riding you'd like to do, there's a happy medium. Something like the Kawasaki KLX250S (which I have) or the similar Japanese bikes like the Yamaha WR250R, the Honda CRF250L, and even the Suzuki DRZ400S would be much better choices for a first bike. All four are in the neighborhood of 300 pounds, have some real carrying capacity, and have much less rigorous maintenance required. Oh, and they're a bit cheaper.

Find an inexpensive used one, ride it for a while, and figure out what you really need. Sell the bike for close to what you bought it for when it's time to switch.

My first dual-sport bike was a DR650, and it introduced me to off-road riding. After a series of assorted Honda, KTM, and Aprilia dirt bikes, I currently have a geared-down KLX250 for around town and the local trails, and a KTM 505 XC-F for when I want to go fast. Both are street legal here, and I'm sure glad I didn't start with one of the higher-end bikes like the KTM or Aprilia.

DR650:
IMG_20120316_165133.jpg

KLX:
IMG_20140913_105645.jpg

However, I will say with confidence that a Gold Wing is not the bike you're looking for. :bike_rider:

P7091033.JPG

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
I'll second everything drcoopster said above. For a dirt bike you can ride on the street; light weight with a reasonable seat height; easy to load on the truck; good on purchase and maintenance costs; etc - hard to go wrong with one of the big 3 250s. You can even get them with the button!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles