Min/Max Ground clearance & 33vs.35" tires? ..&more

Wolvee

Adventurer
For the full size domestics, (Or anything it applies to) what's the happy medium for Ground clearance that you prefer on your overlander rigs? I can't imagine the Yotas I've seen overlanding have been any taller than my stock F150 with 31's.

The 2009 Tacoma Double cab has a wheelbase of 127" or 140" and my 2001 F150 Supercrew is 138". How is the F150 a lesser vehicle when it comes to Overlanding? ..Is it the weight?

Is there a magic number tire height for a full size vehicle? I'm having a heck of a time deciding on either 33's or 35's. I know this question gets into "tire theory" but any input would be great. (35's fit well w/ a 3" Body lift which would also help with Approach & Departure angles)

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
On a 3/4 ton pickup like my Dodge CTD, I feel 2 inch suspension spring lift with 35 inch tires is pretty good. Another consideration is what kind of camper you might have and it's affect on the trucks payload.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I look at it this way. Since 1974 the standards have been 35 on a truck 33s on a jeep. 90% of the places you go you can honestly get in a stock 2 wd truck.

That said I currently run 35s on all our rigs.

tonkaman

Adventurer
Don't forget the big difference is how much everything is tucked up under the toyota. My 2004 tacoma only has a crossmember visible below the doors, so my belly clearance is very good.

dogcar3

Observer
Split the difference and get a 34. I will be going with the Toyo AT2 extreme in 285-75-17 next month. I have a 2012 Power Wagon.

MT6bt

Rock hound
Split the difference and get a 34. I will be going with the Toyo AT2 extreme in 285-75-17 next month. I have a 2012 Power Wagon.

X2. I have 34.8" tires on my fullsize and although I do enjoy the added clearance, the biggest issue I have is my gearing(3.54). Other than that, they seem well proportioned to the size of the actual vehicle.

summerprophet

Adventurer
32" tires on my 99 4runner give 11 inches of clearance 35's would give 12.5 inches.

There are more factors than just tire size of course. Breakover angle (the primary reason little toyotas can get away with smaller tires) as well as approach and departure angles.

I run 33's, my next set will probably be 32's, and realistically, I could get away with stock sizes in the summer. It is nice to not have to be uber cautious in staying out of big ruts, and the extra inch of clearance certainly helps with that. Of course, I drive a vehicle with the same wheelbase as a jeep. I have the same expected clearance over humps and approaches as a longbox quad cab dodge with 40" tires.

I agree though, full sizes fit 35's well (and have the power to turn them). Midsize pickups and jeeps fit 33's well (and lack in power to turn much more).

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
Don't forget tire weight when looking at tire size, especially within the scope of overlanding. Unsprung mass, and where the mass is with tires (around the edges, farthest from the center of the axle), can affect handling, fuel economy and accelleration .

Wolvee

Adventurer
Tire weights have been my biggest dilemma. There is nearly 10lbs 9f difference between the old standard BFG A/T and some of the newer tires out there.

I'm on my phone so I can't check now to get my fact specific but I think the new General AND The Cooper Maxx are botha lot heavier.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Tire weight is not always bad. Yes it takes more to get moving but once moving it will stay moving. To be honest 70% of your overland travel will be on a road.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Is there a magic number tire height for a full size vehicle? I'm having a heck of a time deciding on either 33's or 35's. I know this question gets into "tire theory" but any input would be great. (35's fit well w/ a 3" Body lift which would also help with Approach & Departure angles)

For many years the practical magic number for me has been 33-inch tires, I've run them on full size trucks as well as smaller rigs like a Jeep and 4Runner. This includes rigs that are heavily modified with lockers, skid plates, etc. Thirty-threes have been enough tire for most uses, great on the highway, easier to carry a proper full-size spare, etc. Heck, it was not that long ago when a 31” tire on a Jeep or Tacoma was considered a good sized tire, 33s were big, and 35s were huge, but everything has become super-sized.

After decades of playing with trucks I'm just now about to buy and try my first set of 35" tires in the months ahead. These days 35-inch tires on a full-size truck are small…

I've never had a body-lift, but a 3-inch body-lift sounds like a lot these days. If you have doubt or lack much tire experience or knowledge, I'd say the 33s are a wise, conservative choice until you really want or need 35s. I'm not saying there are not benefits of 35s, but there are trade-offs too with the jump to 35” tires. Even if you stay with a 33, the exact size and tread you might choose will require many decisions.

Your mileage, opinion, and experience may vary. ;)

Mad_Texan

Adventurer
Wolvee,

I have a 2003 F150 Supercrew and run "33's" (255/80/17's) on it. It gets around to most places with no problems. I adjusted the front torsion bars up some and installed a 1" rear lift shackle on the rear to keep a little rake when unloaded and level when loaded. She's no rock crawler but gets around to most places without issues. Ground clearance at the front diff with the skid plate is 11", 34's (285/75/17's) would give you another 1/2 inch. Either way a little trimming of the plastic front air dam may be necessary depending on wheel and tire combo.
-
As far as wheel base, I have explored with jeeps and an FJ and they were surprised that I went through everything they did. Your lines just are a little different...
-
2009 Tacoma wheel base - 127.4 in: turning radius 40.7 ft: width 74.6 in
http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/tacoma/2009/features-specs.html?style=101020852
110 Rover wheel base - 110 in: turning radius 44 ft: width 70.5 in
http://www.liveridge4x4.com/Facts/default.aspx
2003 Screw wheel base - 138.5 in: turning radius 45.9 ft: width 79.1 in
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2003/features-specs.html?style=100082515

Attachments

• IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 13

Forum statistics