2017 Wrangler to be Unibody...

docwatson

Adventurer
Allpar has a similar article.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/10/wrangler-may-leave-frame-factory-steel-behind

I found this quote from the Allpar article interesting
"one suspension engineer said he suspected the company would adopt a version of the Ram 4×4’s setup instead"

Also wasn't the Stitch concept an attempt at a lightweight Wrangler?

but I don't think having a unibody will hinder offroad capability. Manufacturing has come a long way since 2001 when the XJ was discontinuted and the XJ is pretty good offroad.

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
I have seen a couple articles saying uni body, Long travel IFS and 2.5 Via matori turbo diesel. All in, if its done decently doesnt sound too bad. I dont like the idea of IFS but that seems to be the way the world is going.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
These are troubled times we live in.

It'll be interesting to see what they do. For some reason I can see them putting some form of Quadra-Lift in to help with off road capabilities.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The JK was initially going to have IFS and that never happened, Jeep knows that if they change the Wrangler too much it will likely cost them the company and that the JK has saved Chrysler financially. If they add an aluminum body and put an efficient turbo diesel under the hood they solve many of their problems with meeting efficiency demands.

Scott Brady

Founder
I would prefer body on frame, but unibody would not be the end of the world. IFS/IRS however, would be the death knell. . .

Jurfie

Adventurer
If they add an aluminum body and put an efficient turbo diesel under the hood they solve many of their problems with meeting efficiency demands.

For those who actually read the Automotive News article, this is what Marchionne said...aluminum tub on frame instead of the current steel tub. He never said it would be unibody. That rumour comes from the author of the article who states: "Marchionne hinted that the next Wrangler might switch to unibody construction as he named North American factory alternatives with available capacity. All of the plants he mentioned produce vehicles on unibody platforms." Of course they do...they are set up to weld aluminum. In my opinion, the author is putting words in Marchionne's mouth in order to get hits on their website.

No offense to the OP, but the title of this thread should have said: "Fiat Chrysler CEO says 2017 Wrangler tub will be aluminum, but Automotive News assumes this maybe might possibly mean unibody". Until I see a direct quote from Marchionne that says "the next generation Wrangler WILL be unibody and have IFS", I refuse to get my knickers in a twist about it.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
For those who actually read the Automotive News article, this is what Marchionne said...aluminum tub on frame instead of the current steel tub. He never said it would be unibody. That rumour comes from the author of the article who states: "Marchionne hinted that the next Wrangler might switch to unibody construction as he named North American factory alternatives with available capacity. All of the plants he mentioned produce vehicles on unibody platforms." Of course they do...they are set up to weld aluminum. In my opinion, the author is putting words in Marchionne's mouth in order to get hits on their website.

No offense to the OP, but the title of this thread should have said: "Fiat Chrysler CEO says 2017 Wrangler tub will be aluminum, but Automotive News assumes this maybe might possibly mean unibody". Until I see a direct quote from Marchionne that says "the next generation Wrangler WILL be unibody and have IFS", I refuse to get my knickers in a twist about it.

After I re-read the article I see what you're saying. I think as I was reading it the first time, nowhere did I see it say it would be unibody, but possibly aluminum. I thought cool, hopefully that'll help save some weight so they can keep the solid axles. Only time will tell though.

Hopefully they're still putting the diesel in the 2016.

Jurfie

Adventurer
After I re-read the article I see what you're saying. I think as I was reading it the first time, nowhere did I see it say it would be unibody, but possibly aluminum. I thought cool, hopefully that'll help save some weight so they can keep the solid axles. Only time will tell though.

Hopefully they're still putting the diesel in the 2016.

Exactly! Aluminum tub, steel frame, solid axles, diesel...perfect. And hopefully in my driveway when it becomes available. :wings:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
But sadly our govt is a bunch of idiots who do not support things such as an efficient turbo diesel that make sense.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well I think the aluminum body would be nice, would certainly solve some rust issues here in the north. Just wonder about body style changes. I say make the 2wd JK's IFS as a goverment based model and and a consumer based model with 4wd and solid axles that way people can choose what they want or what the goverment wants them to have.

Just my 2 cent.

762X39

Explorer
They do sell an oil burner, if you are interested in world travel you can have one and if comes with an aluminium body I think that would be awesome. Of course I am not a Jeep guy and never have been but still, I will give Jeep credit for keeping the legend alive. My gut feeling is that there will be an aluminium bodied Jeep in the future with solid front and rear axles for a couple of more years. The world is changing and we will have to change with it, that is ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke