fat bike info

vtlogger

Adventurer
has anyone here ever got or ridden a gravity fat bike .. there a website that has them for $499.99 just hoping to get some feed back before I order one

coho51

Join the Walgoose club and get a Dolomite. Cheaper and for a beginner it lets you know how far your willing to go with it before spending thousands. There's going to be a bunch of goose haters jump on here and tell you to buy the best first. Sorry guys I just don't have that much jam. But I sure as hell like the dolomite. Maybe someday I can afford a Moonlander.

fortel

Adventurer
The specs have a bunch of low-end or no-name components so I would be wary. What are your plans for the bike - a novelty that is ridden just a few times a year or more of a go-to ride when heading out? I guess it could be a low-cost entry into the world of fat bikes for you but I would guess that if you are going to ride a lot you won't be happy with it for very long.

vtlogger

Adventurer
I'm thinking in the lines of all around bike.. hunting/snow ... up grading would be something but not right now.. was really hoping to get info on the frame/wheels ..would they last long?? maybe i'll get one and let you all know?? thanks for the info so far

mattiep11

Adventurer
go check out borealis bikes... yampa to be specific... trek, specialized, moots, salsa, surly they are bad *** and we use them all year round fun little toys that can get u just about anywhere.. highly suggest everyone getting at least 2!! i can talk tires, parts, brands how to show your true fat bike spirit!!!

don't forget your growler holder for your new rig.. just like the water bottle holder only larger....

vtlogger

Adventurer
thanks for that!! after reading that one review I'm ready to order...of course as soon as I do someone will post a rtt for sale cheap!!

libarata

Expedition Leader
Elitists be damned. As for bitching about components, upgrade as they fail, or as you have cash for em. Frame should be fine, so long as you refrain from bombing it, dropping it down cliffs, and hacking at it with an axe. When you feel like you can drop 3k on a bicycle, sell it towards your dream. As far as using it for hunting, just remember to keep your center of gravity as low as possible, otherwise you are ganna have a bad time.

vtlogger

Adventurer
thanks for the heads up .. didn't even think of center of gravity... maybe something in the lines of a bob trailer?? ya right now there's no way I could drop 3k on a fat bike or do I think I ever could.. not that wouldn't like one ..I just want a ( do I dare say it ) cheap fat bike ... the dolomite would be the one to really look at but it's only 7spd and in Vermont I could really use more gearing and the gravity come's in 14" witch is the size I need ..

libarata

Expedition Leader
thanks for the heads up .. didn't even think of center of gravity... maybe something in the lines of a bob trailer?? ya right now there's no way I could drop 3k on a fat bike or do I think I ever could.. not that wouldn't like one ..I just want a ( do I dare say it ) cheap fat bike ... the dolomite would be the one to really look at but it's only 7spd and in Vermont I could really use more gearing and the gravity come's in 14" witch is the size I need ..

The more gears, the better, especially when you have a load. Checkout the backpacking portion of the forum, and remember, there is no shame in hiking a bike! Instead of tossing 125lbs of gear in your Eberlestock back, look into frame bags, a BOB trailer, or making one yourself, bike racks(front and rear). I will say, that I have never had a need to go past 2.25'' tires, even in two feet of snow, and on ice. Just weigh your costs, and ensure what you are after is not just an expensive trend.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
A couple of buddies picked up a several of the mongoose dolomites (@ $250 each) and since I live by the trails there is usually one or more here at my place. They are really heavy - especially the tires! Other than that they are fun... I find the gearing a bit high for true single track up and downs - but for beach and downhill stuff the gearing is fine ;-)

I am also helping to build up one with an electric mid-drive on it - we got the motor and drivetrain all done now working on the controller and battery. Will post some pics soon and report back on the performance once its on the trail.

vtlogger

Adventurer
x2 not what I want to deal with that right now but it would be cool to see....as far as the bob trailer I saw a photo of one ( or diy one ) that had a big fat tire on it .. just can't remember where it was I saw it ,,maybe here?? got the okay from the loan officer to order the bike ...might wail until Monday to do it though ...

libarata

Expedition Leader
x2 not what I want to deal with that right now but it would be cool to see....as far as the bob trailer I saw a photo of one ( or diy one ) that had a big fat tire on it .. just can't remember where it was I saw it ,,maybe here?? got the okay from the loan officer to order the bike ...might wail until Monday to do it though ...

Make sure you commit to a full review!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online