Sound Proofing/Insulation? Neoprene rubber as alternative to MLV or Dynamat?

Campbulance

Observer
Hey all,

Over the next few months I may be diving into my soundproofing and insulation on my Express. I know that many people have used MLV as a sound damper. My work has a bunch of semi-cured calendered neoprene rubber that they will be scrapping. I can most likely take it for free. I am still in the learning phase of the process. I want to know if this is a decent alternative to MLV. It has the feel of dynamat, never seen MLV. I have searched for Neoprene as a sound damper but most info pertains to Neoprene foam and not rubber sheets.

My thought was to glue it to the sheet metal, then put a insulation layer like a closed cell foam or other than sealing it with reflectix and tape then paneling over the top. How is this as an option? Is there something I am blatantly over looking? Thanks.

dddonkey

Adventurer
I don't know much on this but my question to you is what is the max temp the neoprene can take before it starts giving off fumes or melting. Good luck in your search, I will be interested in your findings.

Campbulance

Observer
Well, our work has been curing it at about 300 degrees. at this point it can melt and be formed. We cure it for about 15 minutes at this temperature. When we pull it out there is some smoke but not a ton. The material will self cure itself if left out at room temperature over the course of 30 days. My boss said they tried putting some on a induction heater and could see it start to melt/smoke at 160/170 degrees. After looking at some various spec sheets it seems that Neoprene is stable up to 500 degrees. It will burn with fire put to it but when the fire is taken away it extinguishes itself. It is used in the automotive industry but it would be at full cure. If it does catch on fire seems to be the most dangerous part with toxic fumes. But I would say the same about burning a tire in a garbage can. Going to need to continue the research. I have seen some vibration damping uses in the spec sheets as well, so it does have some potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94