VANdiana Jones sequel: The Legacy Continues

greynolds

Observer
Yes on the track covers(although a vacuum cleans them well, unless you get mud in there), ordering these soon, along with various d-ring stud fittings;
49627-airline-track-filler-strip-10_1_640.jpg

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/L-Track-Stud-Fittings-Accessories/Airline-Track-Filler-10FT
Before you order those, also take a look at these:

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/filler-track-96-black/VersaTie

I believe these are for the same size track but look a bit slicker to me based on the photos.

DzlToy

Explorer
Crawl ratio is simply all of the Gear Reduction multiplied together.

So if you have a 3:1 First Gear in your automatic transmission, 2.72 low range and 4.10 diffs, just multiply them all together. If your torque converter were open or not locked up, then you would multiply by 2.2. That is an estimate on TC multiplication. Each converter is different, but its pretty close.

If you added a TC lockup switch into your current setup, you have about 34 to one slowing you down on descents. You would probably not want to use this for climbing or crawling, as the ratio is not very good due to the TC being locked. You need that torque multilication (gear reduction) from the TC slipping.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Before you order those, also take a look at these:

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/filler-track-96-black/VersaTie

I believe these are for the same size track but look a bit slicker to me based on the photos.

Thanks, I saw that too but I believe it's all the same(Mac's does look less droopy/wavy I agree, but I'm hoping it'll just need some massaging. For $10 for 10' it's not a big expense). Mac's d-rings are the same as US Cargo's--Mac's just charges a whole lot more.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Crawl ratio is simply all of the Gear Reduction multiplied together.

So if you have a 3:1 First Gear in your automatic transmission, 2.72 low range and 4.10 diffs, just multiply them all together. If your torque converter were open or not locked up, then you would multiply by 2.2. That is an estimate on TC multiplication. Each converter is different, but its pretty close.

If you added a TC lockup switch into your current setup, you have about 34 to one slowing you down on descents. You would probably not want to use this for climbing or crawling, as the ratio is not very good due to the TC being locked. You need that torque multilication (gear reduction) from the TC slipping.

Thanks, I understand better now. I'll have to look up what my 1st in my G was--I was really spoiled with how well it crawled for an off-the-shelf rig.
I'm not sure if the 5R110's are the same as the 4R100's in this regard, but this page regarding the manual TC lockup switch says not to use it in 1st gear; http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/tclock.php
"Warning: Do not use the manual lockup in 1st gear at any time. There is not enough transmission fluid pumped at the lower speeds to properly lubricate the transmission and you could danage your transmission."

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Those seats and airline track look great Jeremy! Thanks for treating the Big Guy right!

Certainly Brad, you know it!

Just came back from a few nights of camping in the Tillamook 'Burn. Right on the river, had a covered spot and a pool all to ourselves. In this near 100deg weather, a few days of just chillin' was so welcome!

Been having an issue though with the 2 main batteries getting very weak over a few days (fridge is being run off of NLPP/3rd battery which is isolated from 2 van batteries)--van did barely start(and this is with having the van charging off my CTEK charger for days before we left). Actually at NWOR after 3 days(and even running the van for 20min the night before to juice the 3rd battery), fridge was working so hard in the heat it drained the 3rd battery, then in the am the van failed to start; click-click-click. Thankfully we were with a gazillion other trucks and Mike had a portable power supply which started us. Very lucky to have had this occur at the rally, vs being stuck in Nowheresville with no other means to jump the van. Not going out again until this arrives; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQ5Z5F2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AUFI5NHGNZ61
Will get the issue sorted out--will start by performing battery test on both van batteries.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Hmmm.... Something is not right with those batteries or you have a voltage draw somewhere. FYI, they are warrantied at Les Schwab if you need to have them replaced and want to use the same kind.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hmmm.... Something is not right with those batteries or you have a voltage draw somewhere. FYI, they are warrantied at Les Schwab if you need to have them replaced and want to use the same kind.

Yeah, I need to get it solved. I'll look for the LS invoice to see how old they are. I hope I don't have a draw somewhere!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Since I've used Interstate Batteries for a long long time and have a good relationship with their sales guy (shhh, I have a Deka Intimidator AGM in my Nat'l Luna Power Pack), I picked up a pair of their MT7/65 AGM's(965CA, 770CCA--healthy!); http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...~product+Type|101|1|&Title=MT7+48-months+Free
I've been told that the local ambulance company used to use Optima Yellow Tops and had huge issues with them, were returning/warrantying them all the time. With these new AGM's, they're loving them and out of hundreds have only had issues with 2 of them. So I'll start here since the Schwab's were almost out of any sort of pro-rated warranty, and go from there.

The Antigravity Batteries AG-XP-10 USB jump starter/backup power supply arrived; http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/micro-start-xp-10/
The lil' brother of this big boy is what jump started us at NWOR, so this larger unit will be my 3rd emergency backup(Nat'l Luna PowerPack that powers the fridge is my 2nd).

Been working on an interior layout for the van. Now on my 3rd "major" revision. Cardboard and styrofoam is coming in handy for mockup!
Now bear with me here, as this is definitely a process, at least for me(read; maximizer)...

First I had this (34x21x12" drawer system w/ emergency top, 6x9" drawer under fridge, L-track for FrontRunner Wolf packs on top, FrontRunner chairs in front of fridge display/buttons so they can be easily accessed vs having drawer system blocking it, etc);
IMG_5060.JPG

2nd I had this with a narrow walkway (narrower drawer system--yes, it's leaning a bit, damn carbdoard);
IMG_5068.JPG

3rd I'm marinating on this(28L fresh water tank under fridge and 8L grey water tank at end of fresh tank behind LR seat), Nat'l Luna fridge on top of fresh tank, 2 black WolfPacks forward of fridge(on top of grey tank) mimics a sink and drawers;
IMG_5093.JPG
Pass side would be a square-shaped open cubby system of sorts(not shown) to hold 4 of the WolfPacks, flat surface on top of it with L-track(lots of items can be lashed here, including 2 more WolfPacks when needed), kitchen drawers forward of it with countertop for Primus stove to fit on top of it. Other open areas between these items and windows would have custom cubbies for less used "auto stuff" like tools, spares, recovery gear, more storage;
IMG_5095.JPG

We'll see where it all leads.

Last edited:

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Fun stuff Jeremy! Those mock-ups take me back... The van has tons of room, and you can almost get hydro-locked trying to work through the possible permutations, but at the same time, you can run out of room very quickly. My biggest issue with trying to outfit the back of VANdiana was that I always felt like I HAD to do something with all the room. A clever space for everything that I might possibly need. If I were to do it over again, I would divide it into "permanent" storage space and "trip specific" storage space. All my permanent equipment would make up the structure/bulk of the storage, and the trip specific would be preloaded into Wolfpacks or similar and go in and out of the van depending on the trip.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Fun stuff Jeremy! Those mock-ups take me back... The van has tons of room, and you can almost get hydro-locked trying to work through the possible permutations, but at the same time, you can run out of room very quickly. My biggest issue with trying to outfit the back of VANdiana was that I always felt like I HAD to do something with all the room. A clever space for everything that I might possibly need. If I were to do it over again, I would divide it into "permanent" storage space and "trip specific" storage space. All my permanent equipment would make up the structure/bulk of the storage, and the trip specific would be preloaded into Wolfpacks or similar and go in and out of the van depending on the trip.

--Hydrolocked for sure lol!
Amazing that with a larger van, still not enough room for "stuff."(and I've been trying to reduce the amount of stuff too)

--You and I are alike in finding a clever/organized space for things, I mean it doesn't make any sense any other way right? ;)

--Permanent and trip-specific; a straightforward way to look at it. Thanks Brad!
Permanent; truck fluids/spares, tools, recovery gear, camping gear/tools, fridge, 3rd battery pack/inverter, air compressor(UJOR OBA for me), camp chairs, portapotti(even if using only outside), shower/tent, blankets, fresh&grey water tanks/sink&pumps/stove if going that more camper route
Trip-specific; clothes, pantry boxes, gear(MTB's/kayak, mud boots, Unicorn saddle), extra fuel tanks, etc

--Feel free to add to my list. My brain keeps cranking away...

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Well after playing around with cardboard, I've decided to step up the design process a bit. While I've used Google Sketchup before in simple 2D form, I've been quickly learning their 3D format (wheelwells are white, rear a/c is black, yellow is extra fuel--to come, grey in middle is my Bedrug, black lines on floor is L-track);
IMG_5141.JPG

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
While I've used Google Sketchup before in simple 2D form, I've been quickly learning their 3D format . . .
Greetings from scenic Indiana.

It's good to see you learning a marketable skill . . . Maybe lift the truck a little more and you could do without wheel wells. That'd give you more room. :sombrero:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Greetings from scenic Indiana.

It's good to see you learning a marketable skill . . . Maybe lift the truck a little more and you could do without wheel wells. That'd give you more room. :sombrero:

Well if I just cut the rear half of the body off, that'd do the same thing. ;)

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
While I've used Google Sketchup before in simple 2D form, I've been quickly learning their 3D format

I have a fairly decent tutorial book for sketchup. Let me know if you want it and I can send it your way, I have graduated to the next level of software.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94